Reviews for Detour
Kondoru chapter 1 . 12/19/2008
Man, that was amusing!

I can see an aged JRRT sat at his desk while a tall blonde woman stands over him with a dissaproving look on her face.

"Re-write my history so Im not at Allaquonde or Ill take the ring off that hairy footed runt!"

(I loved the UT too)

And the references to CS Lewis, yup I got them, but couldnt you make it a little clearer for the Uninitiated? a Narnia reference mayhap?
Fealivrin Starblossom chapter 1 . 11/28/2007
Hahah! So funny :P I love it :D
Prophetic Fire chapter 1 . 8/21/2003
Hm...quite interesting. I enjoyed it. And I like the writing style here. And I'm not going to say anything else for fear of my babbling.
Casey Toh chapter 1 . 4/13/2003
Interesting way you have presented this story. It sort of shows that maybe the events in the world are dictated by some higher powers (Tolkien in this case).

I also loved the humor you have written into this piece.
Dragon-of-the-north chapter 1 . 3/17/2003
Both hilarious and witty - a rare combination in Tolkien fanfiction... "The Professor did not like people to identify the bones he had thrown in his Cauldron of Story" - teehee... Very true, I believe... Great job! :-)
Hellga chapter 1 . 3/16/2003
Hehe. Love the humour and Arminas :) But "Tollers" is slightly too much for me... or maybe it is just my wicked mind getting wrong associations?
Furry Banana chapter 1 . 1/29/2003
Thankyou so much for writing this fic! I knew if I searched long enough I would find a fic with Arminas in it. I love him!
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 1/23/2003
*ponders* How did I miss this? I just reread this tale in UT, and so this story literally had me laughing out loud. Like Cirdan said in a review, these two remind me a *lot* Rosencranz and Gildenstern. Poor Noldor, wandering about in the wild. Poor Tolkien, having to defend his fairies - though he's lucky to have people lieke you mucking about in his world.

- Ellipsis, still laughing
LunaLillium chapter 1 . 1/15/2003

Oh yea, exactly. That was it.

And don't we all know it.

Well, I do. It's intolerable.
Jadis chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
As a - critical - C.S. Lewis fan, I liked the satirical passages about 'Jack' best of all, but the Tolkien parts were nice too. The two "fairies" - obscure indeed... I don't think I want to know what they did after the curtain fell.
Tyellas chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
Definitely one for the hard-core canon fans, who read some of the backstory and go "Hey, wait a minute...this is making minimal sense." I was very amused. My favorite modern-Tolkien moment was Luthien coming to tell Tolkien dinner was ready.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 1/6/2003
Ah, I've always been fond of Gelmir and Arminas, but this story really does them justice. I can't help but to be reminded of Rosencranz and Gildenstern. The two are amusing. :) That was a great use of a footnote. Yes, it was a detour, wasn't it? Ah, and Cirdan is indirectly referenced, so I'm happy.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
No wonder the Noldor were in such trouble by the end of the First Age - here we have Cirdan's urgent messengers going miles out of their way to send Tuor to the beach (where he'll find the elf who actually knows how to get to Gondolin, but would rather go back to Cirdan), while the messengers are taking their own sweet time getting to Nargothrond and (fortunately for them) back to Cirdan, though at various times they've expressed wishes to go to Gondolin or stay at Nargothrond. I love your vision of the absurdity of it, and your Tolkien seems quite real. And I just know that his elven family tree at that particular moment contained the missing links to Glorfindel, Oropher, Cirdan and Voronwe, but in the midst of rehashing Tuor and Turin's relationship to each other and Elrond, he accidently erased them to make space.
Mouse chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Absolutely charming! I love all the banter between Gelmir & Arminas, and the Prof.'s indignation at having the Elves called "fairies". An engaging and appropriate little tale for Tolkien's birthday, tying up those little loose ends he left. :D
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 1/3/2003
Oh, dear, that was confusing! I loved how you picture Tolkien, and the way he felt about his work when writing it. And its true about Arminas and Gelmir...perhaps Ulmo had his reasons for making them take the longer road, but, damn! Im sure they didnt enjoy the journey.

Hmm..and I like that idea of the charactrs existing only in Tolkiens head, as Chat Noir says. Good for Berkeley!

(btw, could you explain who your original characters were? Sorry, but Im *stupid*.)