Reviews for The Eagle on the Ramparts
Linda-Nairika chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
A beginning of a promising (and hopefully long! :) ) story is always a delight, and I'd like to thank you for this separately.

It's so like Aragorn... um... Thorongil, that is :), to choose a harder way, if it is more enlightening. And it's understandable (and believable) that Gondor provokes such a strong mixture of feelings and emotions in him, even if he is humble about his destiny and his worthiness.

A wonder of Amon Hen is breathtaking. To me, your description was just as powerful as Tolkien's: not only the landscape spread before me, but the sense of some spiritual experience was also present.

I do sympathize with Ecthelion. A lot. :( He obviously misses warmth and geniality in his son - not only as a father, but as a person in a close relationship with another one. And here your version perfectly fits once again, in my opinion: I can see what a striking contrast Thorongil involuntarily would provide - and how neatly two pieces of the heart puzzle would meet. (Later it would undoubtedly make their parting painful...:/).

Thank you for this chapter! And of course, I am looking forward to the next one. :)
wits chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
Ah... It is begun
Really like the way you evoke the doubts..
Am looking forward to the rest greatly. Thanks for writing.
Sophia the Scribe chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
And another story is started! Yay! I can't wait to see how it goes.
Blessings,
Sophia
HassleCastle chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
Ooh. The beginning of an epic. Look forward to this very promising start. Loved how u set the scene to Thorongil's arrival. Denethor a commander established so well he challenges his father at times. And a steward slowly growing old. And the wall I remember from Gandalf and Pippin's comments. It is a pity it remained languishing and incomplete for half a century. I'm sure Denethor same his father's wisdom too late. It is interesting to see that Ecthelion regards Denethor as the better Lord and yet he is the one who had more wisdom and foresight. On the other hand it is easy to imagine a steward grown old and incapable of armed command admiring the commander general who is fit, young and decisive. Excited about the next chapter. :-)
Amateur Bacon Cook chapter 1 . 10/25/2015
A typo : 'sparing in the barracks yard,' should be 'sparring'.

An interesting first chapter – the differing dispositions of Denethor and Thorongil have been established, and you foreshadow further disputes to come. A question, however: have Boromir and Faramir been born yet? I'm not terribly familiar with the timeline of Gondor, I'm afraid.

Happy writing,