Reviews for The Art of Self-Fashioning
DukeEveningshade chapter 1 . 11/14
The main point of the fic is quite plausible when it comes to Longbottom being the BWL. The problem is, Dumbledore would not give a shit when it comes to where Harry was going to be staying as long as it is not a dark family. The chances are, Sirius would have taken Harry in and left the country in an attempt to to save the Potters. I feel like the better type of this fic is Midnight Gold: Rise of the Forgotten Lord.
The other problem is the fact that Harry tries to hide the fact that he is abused. According to Canon, he was often starved and therefore malnourished and also put in a cupboard for most of his life, he could not hide it. He would be gaunt thin and have the height of a 8 year old as opposed to an 11. An abused child would find himself a way out like Tom Riddle. He would get as much advantage for himself as possible, like taking nutrition potions to recover and learn as much as he could.
The last point is the rivalry between Harry and Malfoy. Harry is an abused child and by your story he has quite low self-esteem. There was no way that he would have had enough confidence to get into a verbal fight against Malfoy. If he was truly Slytherin, Harry would no doubt try to make as many allies as possible with powerful figures like Malfoy.
It doesn't make sense.
envirosue chapter 65 . 11/12
Incredible and unique. It took a while to have any sympathy for your Harry. He was fairly shallow as a character at first, what would happen to a child in Harry's situation if it went a bit darker, more obsessed. But around 2/3 in I finally got him and this story became very very well done and complicated. Congratulations on a fantastic and unique story in a fandom where I thought I'd read it all.
Rowan Mikaio chapter 65 . 11/9
Loved it!

Of course I'm a little sad that the ride is over, but I do think you did a perfect job of wrapping up and choosing a good ending. I would say that I want more but honestly there's not a whole lot of places to go.

So anyway, just wanted to let you know that I thought it was fantastic the whole way through!
ASKreader chapter 65 . 11/9
Wow! This is one of the most intense fanfiction stories I’ve ever read. Character development is amazing, plot unique and compelling, truly a hard story to put down until one can finish it. A deserving favorite!
4everfictional chapter 3 . 11/7
I'm not sure he can be intimidated in quite the same way, but it's a nice thought. ;) Love the chapter! XD
4everfictional chapter 2 . 11/7
Definitely an interesting goal to have. How doable it is is up for debate, but I like it. ;) Heck, he could potentially bring anyone back to life if he actually manages to accomplish his goal. Either by transfiguring someone else's brain into the desired person's brain or by creating a new body to put the brain in. Love the chapter! XD
4everfictional chapter 1 . 11/7
This chapter broke me inside. You don't DO THAt to BABY ANimALS! *sobs* I'm having Elfen Lied flashbacks (the puppy scene).
Brilliant writing as always.
CarolWim chapter 65 . 11/6
The best fic I've ever read. This truly is a master piece.
OO ZOO MAAA KII chapter 8 . 11/5
I sense ratatouille and I love it
CarolWim chapter 13 . 11/5
Unbelievable well written, wonderful story
Dragonanzar chapter 65 . 11/4
A beautifully written, original fanfiction. I've never come across one like this before, and I don't think I ever will again. I have a new perspective on Transfiguration and Minerva McGonagall. I loved your characterisation of all the main characters - I thought the arcs of development they progressed through were plausible and in character.

Snape started off as, well, not a good guy exactly, but not the bad guy. By the end I was happy to see him die. The same was true of Dumbledore. I think I disliked him more the way he was in this story than in stories where he's evil outright, perhaps because in this one he was well-intentioned; he was just too arrogant to think that he could be wrong or that anyone else's opinion carried any weight. The imperious curse he used on Fudge was, in the end, just this attitude taken to a conclusion.

As for Harry, I loved how he spiralled downwards in a way that didn't seem like a descent until he was pulled upwards by Regalus and Minerva. I was sad when Terry and Regalus died, but their deaths, along with Amicus's, were instrumental in pulling Harry back from the edge. I loved how Neville wasn't the arrogant BWL often portrayed in stories where he and Harry swap places, but still had that core of right and wrong that he has in canon.

Especially, I loved the animals, and felt sad at their deaths whenever it happened :(

Thank you for writing - this is definitely going on my favourites list!
FoxxNyara chapter 65 . 11/1
This was an incredibly compelling story, a bit out of character for some of the darker players by so very well done. I stumbled on this yesterday and have spent my waking hours devouring it. Thank you for a wonderful read.
awesomeconji1 chapter 65 . 10/14
For a story that's so far down the top list, relatively speaking, this was extraordinarily well thought out. Thank you for the amazing story.
Ralyn Longs chapter 65 . 10/13
Very good story, excellent characterisation and pace, very impressive! Thanks for writing!
Lord Dudders is really stupid, but we already knew that. He doesn't even say that he can lift the curse on Harry's parents, once he gets his Death Eaters back, only that the curse ends when he dies. That automatically means that his death is now Harry's top priority, because his parents are his top priority and Dudders' death is a precondition for that.
2,337 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »