Reviews for A Look of Destiny
Gracie Miserables chapter 1 . 1/30/2019
The woman told the truth to Enjolras when your other story came out. Poor Enjolras. I got really worried when he fell down the stairs near the end. Great job.
Romance and Musicals chapter 1 . 3/11/2016
Whoa, this was super creepy and cool. Poor bb!Enjolras finding scary fortune tellers in his attic! That's certainly nightmare fuel.
Book 'em Again chapter 1 . 12/17/2015
Hello, I am a staffer over at the Reviews Lounge Too forum and I am reviewing your story because someone recommended it for inclusion into our archives. I'm more familiar with the musical so if I mess up due to things they changed from the book, feel free to ignore me.

You did good job in your opening paragraphs of setting the scene. I could easily hear those gossip about this young boy and you were about to tell us things about the young Enjolras - that he is serious, quiet and alone in a large home.

Six years old and reading Herodotus! That seems to be quite the feat as the Greek philosophers aren't easy reads for adults. I know he grows into an intelligent man, but that seems like a bit of a stretch for six and it took me out of the story for a little bit.

That said, I really enjoyed your writing style and the way you have Enjolras react to the looks that accompany the gossip from your opening paragraphs. Your description of the garret is also very well done - I liked cavernous chamber as it gave the feel of something being big and yet small and filled at the same time. This whole paragraph sets things up for the creepiness to come.

Antoine's conversation with the crone is where he felt the most like a child to me - and that was a good thing! He knows what he sees and wants - insisting it is just a mirror and saying he wants to write a book. He doesn't understand what she is trying to say, but he knows that it is terrible. I could feel his fear as he ran from the room.

I found the ending a little confusing. Mostly, because Henri seems to believe his cousin with that warning he gives, but, if he didn't see the room or the crone, why would he? I mean older kids usually tend to disbelief the younger ones. Unless, you were trying to drop a hint that Henri did see something, or knows something, but isn't telling Antoine beyond the warning.

In all, writing children is hard and I think you wrote an enjoyable piece exploring Enjolras and what life would have been like for him as a child. Good job!
rebecca-in-blue chapter 1 . 11/17/2015
Oh my goodness, what a wonderful story. This is a really intriguing look into Enjolras's childhood. I love the beginning portrait of him as a lonely, overprotected only-child; it's a good way to create sympathy for him, while the adults whispering about his unnatural, serious look gives it a creepy, interesting edge.

Of course this creepiness just grows stronger during his encounter with the old woman in the attic. How spooky. I love the warning in her words, which are so clear to us readers who know what happens to Enjolras. "All the blood and fire," "the sun will sink too early for you," "No more blind than you are!" all just gave me goosebumps.

The twist/revelation at the end (not only does this cousin not find the blind seer, which I'd expected, but the entire attic room doesn't seem to be there!) only makes this even juicier and scarier. Really wonderful work. I'm so jealous of your writing skills. I love Enjolras with the first name Antione, too!
TheDrabbleOfBlue chapter 1 . 11/2/2015
Woah. The veil of destiny are sometimes entered through the most mysterious of means. :)
shadows-of-1832 chapter 1 . 11/1/2015
That was quite a mysterious incident indeed...Rather interesting as well.
Ellie chapter 1 . 11/1/2015