Reviews for I Also Loved Thee
The Wayfaring Strangers chapter 1 . 1/7/2013
This is beautiful! Powerful imagery, and a deep sense of tragedy.
Vanafindiel chapter 1 . 12/30/2006
Oh, wow.
Tinorial Peredhil chapter 1 . 4/14/2005
I loved it! The title was pure genius, the poem was well-written, and that last line was so touching that I reread it three times before even clicking the review button. Fantastic. Beautiful. The Lay of Luthien as never thought of before, or at least never thought of so beautifully. Awesome!
RavenLady chapter 1 . 3/10/2005
*wipes eyes*

I'm glad someone took the time to write about this. A poignant and beautiful poem.
Christina chapter 1 . 9/8/2003
There are no words. How I wish I could praise this lyric as it deserves, but... there are no words. Only this:

I cried the first time I read the Lay of Leithian, and I cry now.
Aerlinnel chapter 1 . 4/22/2003
Amazing. Simply amazing. A superb job, Joan.
Evening Nightshade chapter 1 . 4/13/2003
Simply tragic! There are so few stories dealing with Thingol's reaction to Luthien's death, so I was delighted to come across this poem.

You use some beautiful, poignant imagery. My personal favourite is the line:

"A fragile bird impaled upon the thorns

Of your sweet rose;"

A lovely piece of poetry.
BurningTyger chapter 1 . 4/2/2003
"How your death you loved more than the one

Who loved you well enough to let you go."

This is a perfect expression of Thingol's inability to comprehend his daughter's choice. It also parallels a lot of what Elrond feels, I believe. An amazing poem, and a great characterization of Thingol.
purple-sorceress chapter 1 . 2/9/2003
a wonderful poem...captures Thingol's grief very well
alena chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
Oh, I really don't know what to say other than that it is beautiful and moving...There are just too many wonderful lines in it to quote.

I was definitely getting misty-eyed...
Ithilwen of Himring chapter 1 . 1/6/2003
Another excellent poem, Joan; you have a real gift for poetry, as "To Sing of Her" clearly proved. This one's every bit as nice. Thingol is a tricky character to write, but you capture him perfectly in this elegy. It's precisely his love for his daughter which leads him to mourn her (to him) incomprehensible choice; what parent could ever rejoice over having to bury a beloved child?
Ada Kensington chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
Oh dear God...

I think I'm going to cry...

*runs off into the distance with tears streaming down her face.*

Thank you for writing this. *sniff*

- Miss K.

(Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!)
Losseniaiel chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
beautiful - and much of it could be spoken by Elrond as well.

I usually hate fan poetry, but this is exceptional - tender, poignant and lyrical.
Nemis chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
Well, this is certainy quite a return to Tolkien fanfic. ;))

Very good job! Glad you're back. ;))
Nellas chapter 1 . 1/5/2003
This is beautyful. I always loved the tale of Beren and LĂșthien and often wondered what Thingol felt when he knew he would loose his daughter to death... you captured his feelings magnificently and the bittersweetness in this poem almost moved me to tears.

A masterpiece. Keep up your great work.