Reviews for One Piece: Monster of the Straw Hat Pirates
Perun3352 chapter 5 . 2/5/2021
This one though is much better. Probably because it's no longer setting up the plot and actually has other things happening aside from talking. Gian still has the 'I'm not sure what to do here' problem, but it's handled much better, and now that he also has Zoro to interact with it does get a bit easier to insert him into the plot.

There is one bit I'm not entirely sure about here. That's Gian's stamina, he isn't exactly exhausted, but it feels like he wouldn't be able to just casually fire his laser and just a bit after this he is going to use the Full Transformation. It feels a bit inconsistent, seeing as I don't think Arlong Park is even a month away from this, not to mention he likely can't train at least until they get Merry and even then I don't think he'd get much chance to increase his stamina.

Still, I enjoyed his scenes with Zoro, their dynamic is one of my favorites and they just clicked here so I appreciate that.
Perun3352 chapter 4 . 2/5/2021
After a brief break, I'm back, and to be honest, this isn't a good chapter to come back to. Like, the writing is fine, but anime with Gian there is what it essentially is.
V: Oh, back off, you had the same issue. It's the start of the story, let it go.

I mean, he's right... Now, I know how difficult it is to insert an OC into a portion of the story where there are only a handful of characters and to make it even more difficult they are generally in the same place at the same time. Anime adds Nami, but there's that, she's just there, so you're left with exactly four characters you can reasonably work with.

Thus the question of the day becomes, to first, or not to first. The first mate is the position we both went for, yet it makes these initial few arcs so, so difficult, not only to read but also to write. Yet, the answer is always to first, it's just cool, there's no need for other explanations.

Enough about that, let's talk about this chapter. Gian humming Bink's sake might just be the most lovable detail of the story thus far. It's simple, but it's Gian in what seems to be his most relaxed state, now, he did show that he was a very relaxed guy, even around new people, but it still felt nice to see him like that, especially since most people will get to this chapter probably within the 24 hours of starting the story. I'm not entirely sure how to put it, but that one paragraph just brought a big smile to my face and I can't properly explain it.

After that Gian sort of becomes the guy that does things after Luffy and points out things Luffy and Koby will soon know either way. Luffy watches from the wall, Gian joins, he gets angry at Helmeppo and Gian does as well. He is there and that's pretty much all there is to it.
I wish I had something nicer to say, I really do, but I'm sitting here and trying to figure out something else I can say about this chapter to end it on a positive note and I can't really find that something.
Mystery889 chapter 4 . 2/4/2021
Wait do you mean iris because why is his sclera yellow is he sick?
Mystery889 chapter 2 . 2/4/2021
Nvm he’s titanosaurus the golden triden set me off
Mystery889 chapter 2 . 2/4/2021
Before he even says anything is he ghidora
Wildan chapter 33 . 2/4/2021
I leave my review, now i want the hairstyle
Matt chapter 89 . 2/4/2021
I’m looking for a One Piece watches Death Battle story but I think it was taken down.
SolanaLeonhart chapter 89 . 2/3/2021
So project alpha is the very first goji goji no mi user? Damn...wonder how Moria got him. I figured you might at least mention past users given some things that were mentioned in the story but whoa. So basically he knows the secret behind the kaiju zoans and the government's covering it up? Interesting. The whole cover up reminds me of what Robin wants to do about the void century.
Anywho, great job as always, I look forward to seeing what you have in store next.
KaijuEmperor chapter 89 . 2/2/2021
Oh I had a feeling it was Grendolas cause I'm one of those readers that paid attention, I just like to know what Grendolas is now cause he is more than a mere Zombie
And for Grendolas's backstory I keep hearing God of War(2018) main theme or a Shin Godzilla song as background music
jaffa3 chapter 89 . 2/2/2021
So help me god next chapter better have a full transformation or I will scream. Excellent chapter by the way. You took a character mentioned once 50:chapters ago and suddenly bring him up. Just like Oda.
Matt chapter 89 . 2/2/2021
Sorry about jumping the gun. Just there’s not many L.G.B.T characters in this anime.
Shitabrick chapter 89 . 2/2/2021
Prepare for so much cringe that it will make Steven segal look normal ahem... oh kaju don’t hate me cause I’m beautiful kaju if got rid of that ye ye ass haircut you’d get some bitches on ya dick nah maybe robin will call yo lizard ass instead of that swordsman or cook she fuckin with... KAJU
Raidentensho chapter 89 . 2/2/2021
very nice. though i do wonder how this will shape after the next epic movie "Kong vs. Godzilla"? the weapon Kong finds would be an interesting twist if its found in this world. looking forward to more. until then, later!
Perun3352 chapter 3 . 1/31/2021
Oh boy, chapter 3 here we go.
This chapter, in my opinion, is the one where you either keep reading or drop the story. For one simple reason, it sets the tone of the story. Now, you do improve and the story got even better over time, but this is the first interaction Gian has with the main character. You've introduced us to their dynamic, Luffy being Luffy and Gian being a bit skeptical but generally accepting of Luffy. They work well together, though you're still at the stage where Gian's character wasn't completely developed, as seen from moments like quoting an inspirational video.

Still, even as vague as Gian's character is at this point it's clear that he is friendly, relaxed, and easy-going that he does tend to take on a supportive big brother role, so he does have characteristics that would make readers like him.

As for this chapter, the first half was decently paced, perhaps just slightly stretched out but that's up to the reader. Introducing other OCs was natural, though you sort of repeat certain points. Like Gian's thoughts of setting sail and then immediately the other characters talking about the same thing. I understand the need for it, you have limited time to develop other OCs so you sort of needed those scenes, so I can't say I mind that.
Anyway, it's a good chapter.
Perun3352 chapter 2 . 1/31/2021
Was that last scene always there? Not about Luffy, but Gian's fruit? I'm not sure, I don't really remember it. Regardless, it was really well done, I really appreciate the way you wrote Shanks in that scene, it's a side of him we don't often get to see.
V: Granted, we don't get to see him often in the first place.

Well, yeah, that too, but he doesn't often appear with his crew in a more relaxed scene, it's usually something serious or his reaction to Luffy's latest achievement. So this part, where we get to see him act like a captain is just awesome to read. Also, it's a nice parallel to Luffy, which makes it even better.

Now, as for the rest of the chapter, I've mentioned when I last revisited it that I had some minor issues with it so I won't go into that again. What I didn't talk about was how well the chapter flows at the beginning, it wasn't dragged out and it was fun to read. A slightly comedic moment was when you remember that Triton scolded Yassop for language and then in the following flashback said "all that kind of sappy shit" so good for that. It's subtle characterization, but it's there.
That's about it, I guess.
1,311 | « Prev Page 1 .. 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 .. Last Next »