Reviews for The Life of Sound
remadora-ftw chapter 5 . 6/23/2017
oh god oh god oh god
johanna didn't just die but took her own life oh wow I did not see that one coming
in hindsight I maybe should have since you put the warning up that this gets briefly mentiond but somehow I thought this was about annabel which was weird but my mind is sometimes weird so yeah

but oh my god if johanna took her own life then somehow this just got even worse?
oh boy
and alexis being like a aprents you be stronger than that like I get why she woudl think that but also ehhhh
but I guess I agreew ith castle in being like it'S not that simple but maybe let's not dwell on it too long idk idk

but stil whoa

AND THEN HE WROTE A THING OH WOW THIS WAS SO GOOD

also also also kate thought about becoming a cop in high school like yes good I like
and she did an internship and spend some time in the morgue (this reminds me of alexis in season 4) and this is why she was okay-ish with the body and all

and I really really liked how you made them both be really uhm ... not okay with it
like I mean it is kind of obvious but I still like that you put it in there so yeah

oh and the part wehre he mentioned he thought about becoming a mystery writer but wasn't brave enough to publish his books so her turned them into operas like that was such a nice detail I like it

remadora-ftw chapter 4 . 6/23/2017
holy shit
I did not see that coming like at all oh my god

so annabel was clearly flitinrg with castle and I was like eh whyyyy
but then she thought about kate and ended that conversation which was nice omg

AND THEN ANNABEL DIED? WTF WTF WTF
BUT GATES IS THERE HI HELLO GATES I LOVE GATES OMG this makes me so very happy right now
though it was kind of weird to read Detective Victoira Gates and not Captain Gates
but it's awesome okay

so why was she there? to flirt with castle? probably not right?
and why was she killed omg?
and she was their soloist like do they now need a new one?
oh boy oh boy oh boy

oh and castle and kate are going for a drink now
I hope she remembers to call lanie since they just agreed to eat dinner together and all

omg omg omg
I am so whoa
will we get told who killed her and why? cause I don't think I can live without that answer oh boy

remadora-ftw chapter 3 . 6/23/2017
i feel like her mom did not get murdered cause somehow this wouldn't fit the being musicians theme? so what happened that everyone is so weird about he dying? how did she die? like either it was an accident or mabe an illness and I am not okay if I am okay with either

I love how kate is so annoyed by the possibility of people thinking she and castle are a thing
and he is like whatever let them think what they want to think
but also akcnowledges/realises why she thinks differently and that is nice okay

also the gardening metaphor was amazing omg

also I find myself wanting to read the last chapter to know where this ends which is probably a bad idea but still omg

oh and I loved how you put mike royce and montgomery in there too that was nice

remadora-ftw chapter 2 . 6/22/2017
the way you described the rehearsal and how castle conducted and all was so awesome oh my god honestly how?

and then he noticed the money kate got because she was right about which song he would choose as the first one
AND APPARENTLY THEY HAVE A BRAIN SHARING THING GOING ON ALREADY HELLO YES THIS IS WHAT I AM HERE FOR OMG

AND THEN YOU PUT THE SCENE IN THERE OH MY GOD except you left íut the 'you have no idea' part BUT THE SCENE WAS IN THERE AND I LOVE IT OH MY GOD YES THANK YOU

and then castle was like I have to drop my kid off at school and I was like omfg young alexis hello yes please and thanks
but she's 15 and I am confused as to why he has to drop her off at school when she is 15 o.O that is strange to me but okay

KATE REMEMBERING HOW HER MOM INTRODUCED HER TO CASTLE'S MUSIC AND THEN MAKING HERSELF STOP BECAUSE PAINFUL MEMORIES OH NO

CASTLE BEING SO IN AWE OF KATHERINE BECKETT THAT HIS MOM AND ALEXIS NOTICE AS SOON AS HE COMES HOME

AHHHHHH THIS IS SO FREAKING GOOD WHOOP

remadora-ftw chapter 1 . 6/22/2017
ahhhh I am so excited to read this (or reread as I definitely read this before but I don't realyl remember much except that it involves music and castle being a conductor and that I liked it a lot. oh and something about kate and singing but I might be wrong... which I will see as I read right?)

but god yes I like this okay

like CAstle is a famous conductor maestro guy
Flowers for your grave is a rock opera omg this is honestly so aweomse
makes me wonder if the derrick storm books are also operas here which would be kind of funny actually (though I guess also weird idk)

I kind of like that perlmutter was their conductor before but he had some 'medical problems' and so castle is the replacement for now

and he just instantly flirted and kate was so not having it omg

HE KNEW HER MOM oh my god and apparently surprised kate with hs reaction upon figuring out she's johanna's daughter.
which is nice I approve

and I am so excited to read about how she falls in love with him in this story oh my god yes

Father Vengeance chapter 24 . 10/22/2016
Goodness gracious. I'm glad I was around long enough during the con last night to get a lead on this one. Most enjoyable, especially for me, to whom the setting and musical values are less familiar. There's a lot of heart in this story, too much to mention succinctly. So let's not be succinct, hrm?

I was pleasantly surprised by the change up for Johanna. A necessary divergence, obviously, but it still resonated deeply in Kate in that terrible, familiar way. Perhaps we could argue, given Jo's weight in canon, that the subject was dealt with comparatively quickly. But this is, after all, a different take that's not aiming to span half a decade. More importantly, here we have answers, not that gaping abyss of the unknown. Even here, however, a lack of mystery is no cure for the trauma. Between watching that struggle unfold literally, or imagining it thematically whenever Kate was walking in her mother's footsteps, the subject cast that same looming shadow over her, as it always must.

It sets a tone for the piece as a whole: familiar issues presented in hauntingly similar formats with nicely refreshing tweaks. Rick's playboy persona is still that imposing boulder in the road that stymies their progress. Kate's professionalism is still an icy coating that needs time and diligence to thaw, both from Rick 'proving himself' and by Kate's own prodigious capacity for observation and cerebral dissection. They're necessarily abbreviated impediments here, of course, but given their rightful places with satisfying weight. I doubt I shall ever tire of watching them make their way haltingly towards one another, and you manage it without selling either character short, which is, simply put, a joy.

Of course, no journey they make towards one another would be entirely proper without the grim spectre of death standing in their midst. I did not hone in on the culprit early, and I really appreciated the way one off-hand lie effected their overall efforts in that small, but ultimately impactful manner. I could go on and on about this; how fitting I found their initial reactions to be for their altered histories; the way their investigation firmly entwined this story to its canon roots; and, of course, the amusing cameo of Detective Ryanus Interuptus Rex.

As for the music, in both its literal and figurative usages...well, words fall predictably short. I can profess that it's always fascinating when someone with a solid base of working knowledge brings me into unfamiliar terrain and sticks around to play tour guide. Likewise, I can shake my head in pleased disbelief at how you fashioned that aspect of the story into its varied adversarial and supportive roles. But I can't quite encapsulate that stirring sense of powerful yearning attatched to reading about the release, the rapture found in performing from the perspective of someone who will never know it for themselves. Nor can I explain the strangely sad and yet mollifying gratification that comes with at least being able to experience that act of creation by hearing it via the youtube directions you provided. I can't know it, but I can savor it, and I certainly did. It was a less dramatic experience than I may be making it sound like presently, ha, but that's what music does, right? It stirs.

This is a charming AU, and this review, for its modest breadth, only begins to describe why. Thank you for it.
Guest chapter 24 . 8/29/2016
I started reading this story back when you were publishing it and I was captured from the very beginning. The way you work with the characters is so beautiful. But then life got in the way and I only got to finish it now and I have to admit when I picked this story back up I couldn't put it down. The case was amazing and constantly made me click on the next chapter (even though I'm usually not a big fan of case fics) and then when that was solved the music took over and it just totally flashed me the way I could almost hear the music only through written words! You are an amazing writer thank you so much for giving us this beauty!
Chelypdj chapter 24 . 8/10/2016
Wonderful beautiful
KBRC87 chapter 24 . 7/16/2016
This is a really great, well-written story.
Thanks for writing and sharing.
I like the murder case, how it fits into the plot. Very clever.
Despite the AU story, the characters are very authentic.
unannalome7 chapter 24 . 5/28/2016
I really liked this fic although it was a little difficult to me to follow on the songs and this things 'cause basically I don't have any idea of operas hahaha but it was beautifully written and I enjoyed it.
Lal chapter 1 . 5/20/2016
Despite reading lots (LOTS) of fan fiction, I have never posted a comment or review on a story. So, this is my first, and I only tell you that so you hopefully know how heartfelt this comment is. The finale of Castle this past Monday, combined with other emotionally turbulent stuff in my life, left me kind of a mess early this week. I was reluctant to read finale fiction but wanted something to help my sad little mind and heart. This was the PERFECT remedy. I mean, seriously. I read it all in one day. For the last few chapters I even had Handel's Messiah on in the background. I love music, especially classical and opera, and the Messiah has long been a favorite. I can't tell you how delightful this story was. Just a pinch of uncertainty without being angsty. I love the way you wove music and crime solving together, staying true to their personalities and motives. Your writing has a lovely flow and is so much better than the average fan fiction. Anyway, my sincerest thanks for producing this piece of awesomeness. It - you - helped speed this one languishing fan back on the road to joy. :-)
Sailing Goat chapter 24 . 5/18/2016
Loved the original story and it was a nice surprise to find this epilogue! Very true to the characters, I thought.
guest chapter 11 . 4/27/2016
"if you break her heart, we'll make you suffer." Hahahahahahah!
Guest chapter 24 . 4/25/2016
WOW! I just read this entire story in a matter of hours. It was absolutely beautiful. I really enjoyed this universe and hope you choose to continue it! You did such a fabulous job creating a new world for castle and Beckett while keeping true to who they are! Absolutely loved it. This will be one of the stories I come back to to re-read dozens of times!
Guest chapter 24 . 4/20/2016