Reviews for The Fairest One of All
Jalen Strix chapter 3 . 12/7/2015
Eeeeee, and the backstory is composed - delightful! Ah, Linda, you heartless (or really, heart*full*, I suppose) fiend!
Jalen Strix chapter 2 . 12/7/2015
Mmmmm, just look at her wielding that whipcrack power over him. Delicious, not to mention his mutable reactions (especially that hatred like a slash - gorgeous). And as usual, I love your attention to detail (that red-black jacket, mmm mmm good). Tally ho!
TheRealEatsShootsAndLeaves chapter 3 . 12/7/2015
The onset of Sarah’s period is an interesting symbol. Historically, the onset of menses was an indication of maturity and marriageability in females, an indication of being “old enough.”

In fifteen minutes time, she changes her outfit and outlook to “feeling utterly grown-up.” Old enough. Old enough to be a suitable sacrificial victim, but for who; her mother or the Goblin King? *cue scary music again* Woot!

“Flames like slaves danced there for her.” Very nice.

Oh heck, I WANT TO PET THE GOBLIN KING. I want to stroke that wet hair and pinch his widdle ears.

Will we find out how Linda ensnared Jareth? Enquiring minds want to know…
TheRealEatsShootsAndLeaves chapter 2 . 12/7/2015
The image of a ponytailed Jareth drinking wine and man-spreading in his chair is hilariously appealing to me, though evidently not to Sarah. Yet.

Jareth’s comment to Sarah that he is “filling in that rather copious vacancy in your mother’s life” is brilliant. He could be talking about something as innocent (sure) as balancing Linda’s checkbook, but it seems anything but innocent. He sounds like the world’s most urbane and sophisticated fourteen year old brat. “I did your mom, hurr durr.”

I had to look up hippocras. I found out that spiced wine may be made with cinnamon and nutmeg. I also found out that people used to make spice wine with ambergris. That made me want to barf like a whale.

Jareth’s sultry attempts at seduction backfire badly when he ends up hopping up and down on one leg. That is very funny and very dangerous. Angry Jareth is scary Jareth here and he is definitely angry. So his suddenly conciliatory attitude is very suspicious. “I want to be your friend.” Be suspicious Sarah! Sending him out on the balcony to cool down is probably a good idea.
TheRealEatsShootsAndLeaves chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
Aunt Bub’s library is awesome. A gory sexy fairy tale sounds like just the ticket… Is that what I’m reading right now? I can only hope. *evil grin*

And speaking of Aunt Bub, I have deepest sympathy for Irene, the soon-to-be caretaker. She has every right to be freaking out right now.

I like that Sarah’s boots don’t match. I like that she made the whole trip in mismatched boots.

Sarah makes the complete journey through the first chapter almost entirely by herself. Her conversation with Irene is in flashback, and the limo driver doesn’t speak to her until he becomes worried that she’s going to be sick in his car. The doorman is unfriendly and remote, we don’t even know if he speaks to her. Sarah’s mother isn’t there and has only left a note for her. By the time she reaches the seemingly empty apartment, she seems very vulnerable and alone.

And then, there he is. The menacing Goblin King. Waiting just for her.

*scary music*

Excellent opening!
Jetredgirl chapter 3 . 12/7/2015
Ohhhh...I love this so much!
Kaytori chapter 3 . 12/7/2015
I was wondering if Sarah was one of many daughters killed to keep Linda young, So Jareth is still Goblin king? Just ensnared. and Sarah made him love her ?accidentally commanded him to? If so I don't think she's realized that.
Blonde-Existentialist chapter 2 . 12/6/2015
I like where this is starting! I think the sort time skip from the movie makes her emotional outbursts and moods more plausible as well. And will be keeping my eye out for the ao3 version ;)
3iggy chapter 2 . 12/6/2015
8o

That's a shocked face. I saw in the Author's note at the end of the last chapter that there will be dark Jareth! My Christmas wish come true. I will be anxiously awaiting the next chapter...and I know all about those evil stingy plot bunnies...sigh.
3iggy chapter 1 . 12/6/2015
I am so freakin excited for this story! I tried to scream my excitement in this review before I even read the story-but I artfully restrained myself. Anyway, yay! Can I hope for a dark Jareth? Pretty please with snow on top?
Jalen Strix chapter 1 . 12/6/2015
Goooooorgeous. In all the ways. I especially love the small details about Sarah's stepmother - she's a real person, and we get to see that. Also, Aunt Bub's library, because clearly she's a lady of fine literary taste. And of course, *of course*, Jareth's entry into Sarah's life again, overwhelming her with his sheer villainous presence of awesome. :: the fairy tale retelling love ::
Jetredgirl chapter 2 . 12/6/2015
Wow. Very cool! I'm already enchanted :)
J Luc Pitard chapter 2 . 12/6/2015
Go, go Plot Bunnies! Looking forward to this. Love the sense of dread and suspense, even as the romance and humor remain. Her mother's note clearly mentioned J. Did she hope Sarah would think it was Jeremy or would she not worry at all, since she doesn't know Sarah know Jareth? Hmm. Witchcraft in Sarah's blood and Jareth in her thrall? Count me in.
Chaotic-Masterpiece chapter 2 . 12/6/2015
This is off to a really fantastic start. I love retellings of fairy tales and this one promises to be a good one. You always do such a great job of characterizing Jareth, I just love it. I'll be eagerly anticipating more :)
Kaytori chapter 2 . 12/5/2015
Wow Sarah kinda B!t#y, and by kinda, I mean really.

Hope she comes to realize how cruel she's being also what is Jareth afraid of? What power does Linda have that the Goblin King needs to be afraid?

Does she have a hold over him? Like Sarah?

Any great so far can't wait for more!
286 | « Prev Page 1 .. 9 16 17 18 19 20 Next »