Reviews for A New Kind of Normal
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 2 . 3/19
It's amusing that both Ron and Draco (who spunds like mirror images of eachother) reminds me of what a british-romanian friend of me told me about how people act in backwater romanian villages.

A.i: Your family somehow define you, and if one family member is a criminal, everyone in the village acta as if the whole family is criminals.

It's the dumblest shit I ever hear when people claim that a child will somehow become exactly like their parents, as if personality traits are somehow genetic. *Rolls my eyes*

But it WOULD explain why Snape both acts the way he does, AND is ALLOWED to act that way.

Inbred villagers indeed.

And pop quiz: If gentlemen need to wear a hat, why does no one ever wear a hat in canon?

(With McGonnigal being the old-fashioned excepyion, and dumbledore the old and crazy exception. Unless you count Quirrel's turban, which is more a hiding place for Voldie's face.)

Otherwise, LOVE this story!
lukeanimelover chapter 20 . 1/24
Im confused as fuck.
lukeanimelover chapter 17 . 1/24
Oh god harry… you manipulating basterd… poor minnie…
lukeanimelover chapter 16 . 1/22
Noooooooo. He fumbled!
lukeanimelover chapter 16 . 1/22
Did he guess Snape or fumble..?
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 18 . 12/2/2023
Kudos on your Goblins! AWESOME use of culture-shocks there!

Far too many writers tend to think that everyone thinks the same way and want the same thing, but just look at USA vs, say, Turky, and you'll find what is normal in one culture is a crime punishable by death in the other.

(And that goes both ways. Sex before marrige has been known to get girls stoned to death in Turkey.
And killing your own daughter to save your family from dishonor is (or was) very common in Turkey, but in many states murder for ANY reason comes with a death sentence.)

In Russia showing the soles of your feet to an elderly woman can get you thrown off the buss. (At least the russian tried very hard to throw ME off the buss, because I cross one foot over the other knee as is common in much of the north west.)

To assume what humans find "polite" and what goblins find "polite" (and I use that word loosely) is the same things is ridiculus.

So I applaud your skills in seperating the cultures.

That is one thing that maies your story so good; realistic culture-clashes.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 13 . 12/2/2023
I wonder how many muggleborns end up as hookers or criminals when they realize how deep nepotism runs in the magical world...

I mean... You litterally CANNOT get a job if you quit school at age 11. (Plus, people will think there's something wrong with you because you can't do more than grade-school math, know jack shit of history, science and whatever else people take for granted.)

So while going to Hogwarts may seem like a dream come true to a child, they don't realize it's a one-way ticket.

And by the time they realize that half the places won't hire you because of your blood, the other half will give their wife's third cousin's son a chance before they will a stranger -simply because a born wizard have even less chance to survive in any muggle job.

On top of that, there's almost certantly a high unemployment rate, because the only work you can do is selling shit or work in the goverment -all menial needs are taken care of by houseelves or magic.

Pair that with a lack of modern business like banks not run by goblins, stocks, sales, cars, nighclub, most forms of entertainment, and so on, I bet the wizarding world is worse than Italy is when it comes to finding a job.

Doubly so for a muggleborn.

Even Hermione only got a job because she married into a wizarding family, and was something of a war-hero.

If she hadn't been, I wonder if she'd get ANY work at all.

I can EASILY see her end up as a disillusioned and bitter hooker in Knockturn Ally, drowing her sorrows in firewhiskey and ranting about how she's too smart for this and how she used to be the smartest kid in school, destines for greatness, but the biggots ruined her life.

(She may even hate dumbledore and the school for teaching her magic at all, and make sure she couldn't live in the muggle world anymore.)

Ending in either suicide or her turning into a deranged serial killed, taking revenge on the purebloods that she views as having ruined her life. (Or just ANY wizards and witches, because magic ruined her life. Depending on how she thinks.)

Could be an interesting story actually.
Dark and twisted like reality so often is.

Anyway...

Harry is smart to want to keep up with his muggle education, and keep his options open. _
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 11 . 12/2/2023
I pity Harry on his ettiquette lessons. Lol

I am still trying to wrap my heads around how Italians uses the same words for "Hello" as for "Goodbye" (and I can't figure out if I should add a slight variation of it for when leaving a store) even after several months in Rome, so having to learn many types of bows must really suck. Lol

I may find the overly forced following-canon-illogically parts bad and irritating, but overall his story is actually really good, and you write really well.

So I hope you keep writing more on it, and just remember what you learned from past mistakes in the future.

It IS a really good story.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 9 . 12/2/2023
What happened to Harry's wish of being "normal"?

Why is he suddently intrested in learning all kinds of magic?

Why is he not just focusing on learning just enough to actually control it, so he can go back home?
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 6 . 12/2/2023
I feel like I'm just re-reading the canon books here.

Except this time, it makes no sense at all, because the main character is different and SHOULD make different choices because of it. But some sort of Desteny with a baseball bat keeps wacking him into the direction he doesn't want to go.

It feels incredibly forced. Like trying to solve a puzzle with a sledgehammer when the pieces don't fit.

(Or like taking, say, Superman, putting him into Harry Potter, and suddently he does everything Voldemort would do -even if he doesn't fit that role at all.)

Your writing in itself is good, but the rigidity with which you follow canon even when it makes no sense, actually makes this story less good.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 5 . 12/2/2023
First of all... What the Hell kind of ambition does Harry have?

As far as I have seen, the ONLY burning ambitions he has is to be loved and to be normal.

Sly, yes. But ambitious? Not in your story.
He may have potential tho, so I CAN see why the hat asked the same trick-question as in the book.

But when have Harry shown ANY courage?

He bends to his family's will, he lets fear control his actions... he's nothing like he is in Canon.

And Gryffindor is ONLY for those who are brave.

What he IS is hardworking and loyal to his family.
Hiw is that not Hufflepuff traits?

Why on EARTH did he end in Gryffindor and not Hufflepuff?

And on that subject... Why didn't he refuse to spend time with Ron, just like he did with Malfoy?

Ron is exactly the same as Draco, in every way.
They're just on opposit sides of the war.
Beyond that, they could easily have been twins.
(Mentally that is.)

So WHY does Harry put up with hin?
It's not because he is scared to tell someone no, or he'd have taken Draco's hand.

And being friend with Ron makes people dislike him because he hangs around a biggot half a step from being a bully.

So it's not because he thinks Ron makes people like him any better either.

So why?
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 1 . 12/1/2023
I almost feel sorry for Petuni and Vernon with the insane phonebill Dudley is raking up. Lol

It's proboably for the best that internet... either don't exist or you can't play games on it yet... otherwise their phone-bill would be throught the roof, what with the dial-up modems and all.
Guest chapter 3 . 7/31/2023
Another author that enjoys Ron bashing, and I was having so much hope for this fic...
Really great to point out about Ron's ignorance of muggle words and conveniently forget that Neville is just the same about it, selective much? Also ppl saying that Neville will be a nicer friend to Harry than Ron, amuse me, Neville has as much, if not even more so, insecurities than Ron, ppl also blind and forgetful to remember that he gathered up enough courage to help Harry in his dangerous endeavours only towards book 5, he wouldn't have helped Harry in earlier books, and Harry would've been lured into troubles (whether he would have been in Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff or Slytherin) no matter what and how authors try to deny it. This fic was and still interesting and unordinary, but I decided to abandon it.
Marj123 chapter 21 . 6/4/2023
Thank you for your entertaining story. :)
Soraslove chapter 20 . 6/1/2023
Man, this Quirrellmort is smart as fuck. He literally duped this naive harry and got the stone, lol.