Reviews for Codicil
Guest chapter 1 . 4/12/2017
I like the author comments at the end. Food for thought. And you have my belated thanks for the original characters in An Innocent Man.
purpleread chapter 1 . 4/1/2017
Haha! I like this AU- and Moran's moment of empathy for John. And I prefer the Innocent Man scenario. :-)
Random Flyer chapter 1 . 1/13/2016
This works well as a companion piece. It would have been awkward trying to fit it in with "An Innocent Man". I've met some people in life that focus on the what-ifs, have even been tempted to do so myself, and I think you're right to point out the good things that happened as a result of John being imprisoned. Many times we don't notice the good things that result from an event, but tend to focus on the negative, especially if there seems to be more negative than good. It's a good bit of food-for-thought for the next time something doesn't turn out the way we want. :)
Thanks for posting!
TakedaEmo120 chapter 1 . 12/12/2015
Love it. :)
RaychDZeros chapter 1 . 12/9/2015
LOVE THIS
Book girl fan chapter 1 . 12/9/2015
It is interesting, what a difference a small change can make. It's better for John how things turned out, but for the needs of the many? Maybe An Innocent Man would have been the better fate.
chai4anne chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
Ah, yes-the other possibility! I'm glad you decided to make Moriarty answer differently in another universe and give us "An Innocent Man." Love the Lewis quote, and the way you apply it here.
Wynsom chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
Such a wonderful insight! I did enjoy your fusing of elements from seasons 2 & 3 in An Innocent Man for the reasons you explained. Some things are meant to happen even if the sequence is not the same. It's always fascinating to consider the "butterfly effect" in our lives!
librarywitch chapter 1 . 12/8/2015
I love the extra chapter. Jim is just a slightly more classy Joker. Both of them are bat s*it crazy. Fixed points in time according to the Doctor cannot be changed. I think he might have something there. I also LOVE Dean Koontz, especially the older books. That one is fantastic, but my favorite is still "Watchers". And "Strangers", oh there is "Whispers", "Mr. Murder" too. "Midnight" is awesome too. I think "Hideaway" inspired some of the episodes of Supernatural on the CW.
MelodyOfSong526 chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
Very interesting concept...

I like how you played with the duality of the good/bad things that could result from Jim's choice to implicate John or not. It took me a couple of reads to understand what you were saying, but it soon became crystal clear. For John's sake, it's fantastic that Moriarty decided to "spare" him, in a way. But you're absolutely right: if Moriarty had said "yes", then John might have went to prison, and eventually form a deeper bond with Sherlock.

Also love how you've managed to focus on both the (frightening) brilliant side of Moriarty. I think people get too caught up in his antics, which makes them sort of underestimate his brain. He is not Sherlock, but he is certainly a clever man just the same. Love how you've shown his musings about John. Really emphasizes his awareness of people and their values/motives/etc. (again, something that viewers tend to overlook).

Nice work!
ijustsigneduptofollow chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
Oh, *brilliant*...

I loved how you wove elements and bits of dialogue from the show into your story. Thank you for this glimpse into why and how you did that. What a fascinating concept, that the universe tries to reassert itself when things are altered.

I did love season three (although it had some extremely frustrating moments for me, and so much went unresolved), but I feel like your story is the tonal heir to seasons one and two. (No disrespect intended to the Mofftiss.) Pitch-perfect.

I hope we will see a sequel someday... but whether we do or not, THANK YOU SO MUCH for writing this incredible universe! And this perfect codicil!

(Actually, I would kind of love to see your Jim and Moran at work...)
englishtutor chapter 1 . 12/7/2015
This perfectly complements your "Author's Note" at the beginning of "An Innocent Man". I love a wander down a philosophical "what if" trail, myself. It serves to enhance one's appreciation of the real thing, and so value the importance of each little decision one makes as potentially earth-shaking.

"No. I'm just going to talk to him. And then he's going to kill himself." I LOVE that you used this line here. It's perfect!

Although I'm happy that John didn't go to prison in "real life", it does make me sad to realize that in the proper timeline, John never meets Dr. Bell. Ah, well. We can't have everything, can we?