Reviews for Anna Grayson and The Order of Merlin
DaveO chapter 40 . 7/20/2014
Msg to the FanFiction community from Dave O: 7/21/2014 - I wanted to provide another update to Katie's readers who have been waiting so patiently for the second Anna Grayson book entitled, Anna Grayson and The Dragon’s Lair. The book is now nearly finished, but I still have to complete the back half of one middle chapter and then work through my list of “undone items”. This would include a number of small holes that need closure. After this is completed, I will begin submitting chapters to . Some of the chapters are still in early draft (100% completed – but in draft #2 or #3 only). Usually I put together no less than 20 drafts per chapter, so this is why I’ll only be submitting singular chapters (those with completed drafts greater than rev 20) as I work each chapter into its polished final. Thank you all again for your kind messages and words of encouragement to Katie's family as I work to bring you Anna’s second year at Castlewood. I kept a very strict adherence to Katie’s original premise and outlines for the book and I think it turned out great. Book 2 contains 36 chapters and about 240,000 words. In comparison, The Order of the Phoenix was approximately 257,000 words.
DaveO chapter 42 . 1/27/2014
I wanted to provide an update to the second Anna Grayson book that I have decided to write in Katie's memory and utilizing the prologue and premise she left to us. As of 1/27/2014, I have completed 31 chapters to "Anna Grayson and the Dragon's Lair" covering Anna’s second year at Castlewood Academy. My thanks to those of you still following this link about my daughter's work. I hope to finally finish her second story very soon. God Bless. Dave O
crystalclear8050 chapter 43 . 11/11/2012
Dave, I wanted you and your family to know how much I enjoyed Katie's wonderful story. Her characters come to life, and she truly built a magical world. After finishing the story (at 5:30 in the morning!) I read your bio, and I could not believe that this amazing work came from the mind of a brilliant 13 year-old girl. She was taken from this world far too soon, and I am greatly sorry for your loss. I will pass this story on to others so that Katie may continue to live on through her beautiful words.
DaveO chapter 43 . 11/8/2012
I wanted to first thank everybody for your continuing reviews and support of my daughter’s work, Anna Grayson and The Order of Merlin. The Anna Grayson character is something her family continues to cherish greatly and your warm thoughts and messages in Katie’s memory have been so inspiring to us. Every once in a while somebody will remind me that I once said I was going to try and write the second volume of the Anna Grayson story, covering the character’s second year at Castlewood Academy, utilizing the premise, outlines and notes Katie left behind. It remains my greatest ambition, but while I did serve as Katie’s editor on the first book… there is a big difference between editing and being a creative writer. In short, I’m not the talented writer my Katie was. Still, I’ve been struggling away at the task, doing what I could to bring this wonderful character back to life once again given what I have to work with and what little skills granted me. I thought it was time to give you an update on my progress.

Since 2006 when I first decided to take this project on, I’ve had to struggle with working alone and without Katie to guide me. Yes, I have her notes and her outlines… I know what she intended in Anna Grayson’s second year at Castlewood, but they are what they are… just outlines. Just a series of facts given and an order set, but all the color that made Katie’s stories so rich is obviously missing and that’s where the elements of her talent truly worked its own brand of magic. There were times where I just got stuck with nowhere to go to connect dots A to B, and in those times of struggle I found my soul the most lonely and vulnerable to the realization that I’m just a man, a father… who has lost his daughter. She wasn’t just a talented writer that so many others knew through her stories, but a real person with character and kindness and a level of faith that sustained the rest of us. That’s when I had to stop and take a break from the task given me and promised to you. Starting back up again was always difficult, because the problem of connecting the dots still remained, but I plodded along, doing what I could to remain inspired. I have now completed 24 chapters. Some have more than 30 drafts while others only 2 or 3, so there’s still a lot of work to do on what’s already been written. In addition, I’ve estimated the story might include up to 30 chapters before it’s completed. Again… there’s still a lot to do, but I promise to keep working on it… to fulfill my promise to those who wanted to know more about the Anna Grayson character, a character that in so many ways personified the very essence, the personality and the vulnerabilities of the original author.

From all of Katie O’Brien’s family, we thank you for your continued support and memories and appreciation of our daughter’s work. I cannot tell you at this time when the second book will be finished, but I will continue to work on it. Katie entitled it: Anna Grayson and The Dragon’s Lair.

God Bless you all, Dave O’Brien
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 21 . 3/1/2012
I like the fun changes you've made to JKR's HP universe. Thorses that are half horse and half thestral. Flying doors instead of flying brooms. Communication using stone bowls with blue flames instead of fireplaces. The route to school is pretty complex but it makes for a very special transition from the mundane world to the magical one. Spellburg is much more welcoming than Hogsmeade. Castlewood seems bigger and more impressive than Hogwarts. More choices for sports, and a mandatory sport for PE. Mandatory common studies. A Mirror of Enlightenment instead of a sorting hat. Knights instead of prefects.

I like Anna. She makes friends easily, she treats people and animals with respect and care. She's not so scrappy that she goes looking for fights, but she's no goody-two-shoes. She's got problems but so far they don't seem bad enough to constantly threaten to overwhelm her.

A few words are misused/misspelled, but not too bad.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 4 . 3/1/2012
"doling", not "doweling" most likely. "doweling" is clearly wrong as "dowel" is a cylindrical stick, so "doweling" would be a cage or banister made of dowels.

"steel", not "steal" when it's a metal.

"strength in the mouth"? I'm not familiar with such a saying. Google isn't either. But there is a World Cup article with the title: Strength in the Mouth of the Goal.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 3 . 3/1/2012
"perimeter", not "parameter". A parameter is the argument to a function. Not what you want at all when you're wandering near the walls of an office.
GodricGeoffreyGryffindor chapter 1 . 3/1/2012
Very charming beginning.
3 fries short of a happy meal chapter 43 . 8/10/2011
This was an amazing story! Your daughter was an amazing writer! And I'm so sorry for your loss.
DaveO chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
Andrew, Sorry I couldn't reply directly, but you didn't leave me a way to do it. My daughter wrote several short stories before she passed away in 2005, but we have not published any of them because she wouldn't allow it. She only wanted to publish the Order of Merlin under my pen name, because at the time she was too young to join . Over the last couple of years I have been struggling to write Katie's second Anna Grayson book covering her second year at Castlewood from a premise she left to us in her writing box. I also found a prologue for the second book she completed sometime in 2004. For those readers who wish to see her prologue for the second book, please contact me at daveobrienasannagrayson at yahoo dot com. Thank you for your review.
Andrew chapter 1 . 2/17/2011
I really liked this chapter. In your bio, you said that Katie had published some short stories. Were can these be found? I'd like to read them
Teh chapter 1 . 8/12/2010
Your Daughter will be fondly remembered through her story. She will also be remembered through her loved ones especially you. Those that are no longer with us will always be immortalized within our hearts.

Back in 2003-2004 when you, first started writing I only lost a single loved one. Since then I lost 3 more close family members through various illness & etc. They will continued to be remembered by me.

Life is as such when it ends hopefully there is another great new adventure in the great beyond.
4everGlenda chapter 43 . 6/5/2010
I had just finished reading this story and wanted to review it because I really loved it. That's when I came across your profile and read about the author, your daughter. It is an absolutely amazing story: the whole background, the details, the customs, it is creating a complete and new version of the magic world within Rowling's Potter world. It is an excellent foundation for a new fanworld, and so far I have read very few fanfics that achieve this. To think that your daughter at 13 years old had this extraordinary imagination and vision is extremely inspiring.

Reading your profile also gives more meaning to the father-daughter relationship between the characters, and I regret not reading it earlier.

Thank you so much for still sharing with us this fanfiction treasure.
LunaticLOVEgood chapter 43 . 6/5/2010
I was enchanted by this story. The different characteristics and personalities of the characters in the story are exceptionally well written. As are many other things in the story. I have a hard time believing any 13 year old would be able to write something like this, don't misunderstand me I do. She did have the cute childlike tenancy to go a lot into details and write much about things that might be considered unnecessary but that only gives the story character. Your daughter was extremely talented and I thank you for sharing that with us.

Thank you Katie!
Trausti chapter 43 . 12/18/2009
I just have to say that I loved this story, it's one of, if not the, best story I have read and I'm sorry about your daughter, she was a brilliant girl with a powerfull imagination from what I can tell... ;P