Reviews for Pub Series Story 4 Hey Ho
Aria Breuer chapter 1 . 4/3/2013
Actually, on the Extended Edition of "The Fellowship of the Ring" (you named the wrong DVD), Frodo was also singing the song with Merry and Pippin. It seems everyone forgets Frodo, and just puts Merry and Pippin. You can hear him singing with the two hobbits in that scene. It took me several times before I noticed this, but it seems he keeps being uncredited. Also, I don't recall Pippin singing most of the songs in the books. I'm sure he had some, but there were others in the books that sang a fair amount of songs. You may be giving Pippin and Merry more credit than they deserve, especially Pippin.

As for this story, I say you did a nice job with it. Once again, it was well-written and you kept everyone in-character. I wonder if this story in the Pub Series is blending in the books with the movies. Just saying.

Overall, you did a fine job.

-Aria Breuer

P.S. I'm still putting this story in my community, simply because it's well-written and you've balanced out the characters, so they aren't all the center of the story.
Tulip Proudfoot chapter 1 . 4/4/2005
Incredible that I am only now visiting some of your other famous "Pub" stories. I had not read this little jem. Lovely, as usual. I do wish you would continue this (though I know that is unlikely). Seems little plot bunnies about Merry and Frodo talking over the Crickethollow purchase ... well the little plot bunnies are jumping all over the place. Nice historical research on the M.E. laws on 'fair trade.' I learned something today.
Mal3m chapter 1 . 1/16/2004
Hi! I just discovered your Pub Series and wanted to let you know how much I have enjoyed them. I feel like I'm immersed in the world of these hobbits as I read your stories; each hobbit is so specifically characterized, and their relationships are so wonderfully defined and illustrated. It's great to find such lovely (and humorous) fics :)
Pansy Chubb chapter 1 . 5/8/2003
RACHEL, RACHEL, RACHEL! Here I have been hoping you'd be back with more of the Pub Series and you slipped right by me. This story is perfect, because when I see that part on the extended DVD, I do think about your Pub Series. This is good and funny, with out lads back in action with some harmless carousing. Ted Sandyman is still smarting over a thrashing our slightly dangerous Merry gave him and Pippin still sweet but over-the-top. (Looks like he recovered from that run-in with the table!) Frodo is still buying their rounds and Sam is still shaking his head. Now you've put me in the mood to go back and reread your other stories; I've missed you. Have you been gone or just lurking? Are you gone again? There are some new great stories and writers here (check out Lindelea). (I actually got around to posting a second M/P story - but I don't think it would be the type you would like). Okay, now I am watching for more from you.
stumbleine chapter 1 . 3/19/2003
I'm sure I allready posted a review...I guess my computer must've eaten it. Well, here we go again:

Can I just say it again? Yes I can: I love your "Pub Series" to death. "Politics" is my favourite, but this one's very good as well.

I'm still giggling at Frodo's desperate attempts to get Merry's attention.

("Yes? I'm supposed to be doing something for you, aren't I?"

Indeed, Merry. How clever of you to notice...)

The way you've inserted old milling laws to this fic is really original and a nice touch. Reminds me a bit of the way the Professor created his universe; by mixing old legends and sagas with the products of his own imagination and real history. Just one thing: try not to make it too easy for us reders to notice the parts wich contain the "real" bits. Maybe you didn't even intend to "hide" them, but it would even more enjoyable to read your stories if one couldn't be sure where history ends and fiction starts. Now it felt a bit like... er, like I'd walked into an economic history class, when just a moment ago I had been sitting in a Pub in Middle Earth!

Oh, and I like the way you potray the hobbits' relationships. Most writers spend more than enough time with Frodo&Sam's and then again Pippin&Merry's friendships. It's nice that someone remebers that Frodo is a very good friend to his cousins too, and that Sam's position as a servant has at least some effect to his views on the other hobbits. (Phew, what a sentence. In any case, I dread to think of all the grammatical errors that I've made in this post...)

Grr. I did it again. I promised myself this review *wouldn't* be as long as the one I left on "Politics"...(wich I hope no one will ever read. It's just plain embarassing.) Well, now that I'm satisfied I can go away and leave you alone for a while...until you write another fic and I can come and bore everyone out of their wits again! Yay!

Looking forward to that,

Elina

(Don't listen to me. Plese write something new! I promise I will keep my mouth shut if you do. ;))
Mainframe chapter 1 . 2/23/2003
Yaya! Rach yer back!

And on top form I see. Another hobbit success! Loved your take on the characters as always and the plot is short and sweet and richly entertaining. I can never get enough of your writing!

Jen

X

P.S. My yahoo account had all it's contence deleted at an internet you ask me to pass on a certain fic series or was that someone else. I am trying to find out who coz the answer was yes!
Firiel chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
Note: This is rather long, and you're probably going to think I didn't like your story, but I really did think it was funny. Read in the parentheses at the very bottom for further explanation.

You do know that Bilbo isn't Merry and Frodo's uncle, don't you? He is Frodo's third cousin once removed (i.e. Bilbo is the son of Frodo's grandfather's cousin) and related to Merry in a very complicated way that you have to look at three family trees to figure out and turns out to be some sort of distant cousin. Although I admit that all that is a little confusing and way too long to put in a story, "Cousin" would be a more appropriate form of address for Bilbo than "Uncle." (As I said before, I did think your story was very funny, but you asked for it when you said your story was book canon and then had Merry think of Bilbo as "Uncle.")
helga chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
Yaaaayyyyy! I just discovered your newest story. I really enjoyed the first series, and am looking forward to more installments of this one.

I also appreciate your attention to historical detail, with the background on old English mill and trade laws.
Amayllis Sweetwater chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
Hey, I resemble that remark! Yep, this passed the test. See, I knew you could do it. Now, if I could only get you to see the light, Pip and Merry... Sorry I stole this idea and corrupted it (no, I'm not. But I thought I should say it anyways *g*)
shirebound chapter 1 . 1/9/2003
I'm so glad to see more of this series! You capture each person's personality and speech so amazingly well, I feel as if I'm sitting at the next table, listening in.

What a riot, "...cocked his head in a beguiling manner only effective if you were 28, wild, and Pippin." and, "Me. Water. You. Frodo."

This is so clever, Rachel. Especially the "land deal" and all the little details you've poured into this. You've really fleshed out that tiny DVD scene!