Reviews for La Messe de Minuit
sorrellkaren chapter 1 . 12/11/2016
Oh Athos you will never forgive yourself, or will you? Certainly attending Mass was a good sign. I nearly cried when he took the sacramental wine for the communion. It was a great step forward for him even if he quoted Lord I am not worthy. I couldn't help but notice you used d'Artagnan to soften his resolve and that Aramis was well aware of the boys effect on his friend. I would love to here the meaning behind this sometime. I remember hearing someone say Athos was the boys best friend in the series but it was not explained why Athos favored him so much. I fear I have not read the books shamed as I am to admit it. I do plan to do so. I only remember ever hearing them mentioned as a child but not being exposed to them in school. I have a whole list of things to read in my retirement should I live so long, they were on it. I will try to move them up now. Wonderful interaction between the characters in this story each mentioned with importance and concern.
Italian Hobbit chapter 1 . 2/8/2016
Augh, Sarah, you write Athos so well! I could see and hear him exactly how you described him. And the whole conflict is just so... him. Poor man, so torn inside. I love his little quips, especially the one about devoting his time to the blood of Christ's "more worldly cousin." I actually laughed out loud. He WOULD say that... and it's great.

I love the focus on family in this piece, how determined the others are to have Athos join them on a night that many consider a real family affair. They may not be brothers by blood, but they are brothers in arms and in their hearts-and brothers in the eyes of God. I think especially Aramis would understand that, as the most religious of all of them.

And that's another thing I love. I know that you're an atheist, but I never, ever feel like there's any kind of anti-religious sentiment in anything you write, and I appreciate that about you so much. You really have an ability to tap into the heart of religion, in a way, and that's evident in Aramis here. He wants his friend to join him, and he knows his scriptures, and he loves the fellowship of the Church. I can't say that I agree that much with many of the teachings of Catholicism, but I can appreciate the love that its members have for their church. That is beautiful.
Arithanas chapter 1 . 1/10/2016
Amen.

I'm not sure I agree with dragging someone to Mass, but this one was a pleasure to read.
wotumba1 chapter 1 . 1/2/2016
Good
Guest chapter 1 . 1/2/2016
Loved this! As a Catholic who, as a child, attended mass that was still in Latin, this brought back so many memories. Therefore, I could really get into this, both the incense 'scents' , the I'm not going to midnight mass conversations, etc. You did not knock Aramis's beliefs which is appreciated and your insights into their brotherhood were deep.

In other words, great job!
MusketeerAdventure chapter 1 . 12/27/2015
Enjoyed this immensely! Yes - d'Artagnan a powerful weapon indeed! Thanks so much for sharing this!
Buckeye01 chapter 1 . 12/26/2015
This was a lovely, well-done story. It's so nice to see Athos cast in a good light, for a change. Thank you!
jamepa chapter 1 . 12/25/2015
Awe,so glad Athos went to midnight mass. Thanks for a sweet Christmas story.
Mountain Cat chapter 1 . 12/25/2015
Aw, that was very nice. Short, but sweet. I hope the service brought Athos some peace. And thanks for the translations. That was very helpful to a protestant non-Latin speaker. Well done.
Marigold Faucet chapter 1 . 12/25/2015
Oh my gosh, thank you so much! I absolutely love this!

I couldn't stop smiling the whole way through and I certainly giggled (especially at Athos' comment on wine, utter perfection). I don't know what to say that we haven't already discussed, but d'Artagnan is the perfect weapon against Athos and I love how you expounded upon that in your prose. In fact I love how you fleshed out all the little things we discussed in regards to this and I think that just added to the enjoyment of the fic, because there was stuff I recognised and stuff I didn't - but with the stuff I recognised, I could feel that joy, that laughter I had when first being introduced to the idea in my head and my heart.

I quite enjoyed the reminder of my Catholic heritage too. It was rather surprising to realise how much is still engrained into my psyche (aside from the highly exploitable Catholic guilt I carry with me always).

Oh and all the little things. Athos' finest Latin tutoring. Aramis using Porthos as a human shield (and all Porthos wanted to do was spend Christmas with his family). d'Artagnan's obliviousness and his exceedingly useful and exploitable talent. Aramis in general.

I love everything about this fic.

You never fail to give me such lovely gifts. I love it and I love you. Thank you, thank you, thank you!