Reviews for The Walls of Fate
RavenLady chapter 1 . 9/8/2003
Wow . . . again , the ending lines were beautiful and haunting. As was the whole fic.
vivilost chapter 1 . 6/17/2003
... I hate Tuor.

Except for that unchangeable fact, it was.. curiously well written. But at the moment, I am playing favorites and do not feel like chiding Maeglin (bless him, that dark little odd-child..) for being a lustful idiot. He deserves better than Idril, in my opinion... off topic.

Ah.. so.. it was very, very well written and I would have loved it if I didn't abhor Tuor. Keep writing.
Kielle chapter 1 . 5/1/2003
O. I was hoping to find a good take on this battle - I didn't tackle it in my own latest because I had a feeling it had already been done better - and of course it was, and of course it was by YOU. :)
Sunsong chapter 1 . 3/8/2003
Really, really good. I'm not "just saying that," I mean it.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 3/7/2003
I like the overall feel of it, and I have to admit that the opening line is great for pulling people in. "I can see the future." And it's so true. We always hear about Idril seeing the future and such, but Tuor was Ulmo's messenger, and it makes sense that he'd know things. "I have spent long painful years perfecting the image." What a scary thought. Poor Tuor. *pat pat* No wonder he deserves to rest in the Blessed Realm (kind of like Frodo). I also like the action that takes place despite the introspection. And him asking Maeglin to surprise him, once in this lifetime. Aye, Tuor. *shakes head* Great word choice, perfect for evoking the images of the battle and the years in Gondolin, both happy and sad. Oh, and I like seeing Maeglin lose. :) And Tuor's "What do you know of torment?" In the construct of this fic, yeah, I think Tuor is the more tormented of the two. Thanks for setting that straight too. Great fic, and don't let the hormonal imbalances tell you otherwise.
Ada Kensington chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Breathtaking...

Simply breathtaking.

That is all I have to say.

- Ada K.
JAKS chapter 1 . 1/14/2003
THank you for the advice on my story... I'll try and do that... this is VERY good so far! I love it! Can you please continue reviewing my stories? also... on January 25, I'm gonna be changing my pen name from

Draco Fluff

To

Elvish Firebolt

If you didn't already know... thank you! This is great!
erunyauve chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
To know there is a snake in your midst, and be able to do nothing but wait for it to strike, must have been torment. You catch that frustration perfectly. In a way, it is not even Maeglin who is the foe here, but fate itself - and Tuor has long known he has done all he can. He cannot change what is to happen; even the final confrontation with Maeglin is anticlimatic - it means nothing now, because the city is already lost.
Belthronding chapter 1 . 1/11/2003
So for 14 years Tuor lived the curse? Poor poor him. And some of your lines are just chilling, 'Singing water made steam. Friends and family made smoke' particularly touched me.

An insightful story as always )
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
"I can see the future."

So while Tuor lived in Gondolin, and was married to Idril, he caught a glimpse of the way that Elves were bound to fate? Guessing by his tone in this story, he didn't like what he saw. I don't know what to say, really. Am no good at reviewing such brilliant stories. All I can say is wow, and you have such an insight into Tuor. I wonder how the fight was from Maeglin's POV?
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
Now, I am still quite speechless about the Silmarillion section at last *existing*, but I will try my best.

You Tuor, yes. Able to see the future; the advantage he has over Maeglin is that he is also able to change it, while the elf is bound to fate. I have the impression, maybe coming from the repetitions of 'in but a few moments', that Tuor really lives in the future -the near future, at least- and is looking back at the present time as the past. I wonder, if Tuor has seen Gondolin's fall, why he hasn't done anything about it -he was high in Turgon's favor, anyways; maybe Maeglin was still higher though- Of course, nothing could have been changed, for Elves are ultimately bound by fate. And Idril sees it too. Then, I wonder if Eärendil has also that gift/curse? It must be a terrible thing to live both in present and future. No surprise, as Tuor says. No hope.

The last sentence, however, proves ambiguous to me. (Maybe I'm just stupid; I know what you mean, but something's wrong.) It is not by the physical eyes that Tuor would see the future; if Maeglin had pierced his eyes, it would be more terrible still in the fact that Tuor, being a mortal, would have lost all anchor to present and reality, living only in his visions of the future. If he wished for his mind-eye to be pierced, the only thing he could do was impale himself on Maeglin's sword. (Something this Tuor of yours could have done, I think, if there was not Idril and Eärendil; he seems desperate for something new enough, and surely his sense of foresight does not go as far as the Halls of Mandos. He also does not see himself doing it, and therefore this is the mortals' gift to change their own fate. But pardon me, I'm just rambling here.)

The actual only hope I see in this story is Tuor's gift to shape the future.

Wonderful, Joan.

Once again.

(Gee, for being speechless, I sure said a lot.)
Mouse chapter 1 . 1/10/2003
By far the most original and captivating depiction of Tuor I've ever read. The subtle grief and all-too-vivid pain in his words, the near-cynicism in his understanding of Maeglin. Not just a shiny Mortal who happened to luck out with an Elven wife and a "happy" ending- he *lived* the Doom of the Noldor for fourteen years, watching all he that he would build for himself in life collapse utterly because of *this* Elf, this one at the end of his sword.

I love the ferocity of him- urging, taunting, challenging Maeglin- "Strike harder!" "Faster! End it!"

Masterfully written; beautiful imagery; intensely compelling insights on a surprisingly obscure character. Thank you.