Reviews for A Rare Camaraderie
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 4 . 9/12/2016
Wow, this was based on a true story?! Lucky you, getting to talk to that doctor and nurse! I loved it. Yes, it's exactly what Steve would do, and loved how Peggy's first words to him afterward were "You're an idiot". She clearly doesn't think she's worth the life of the only Super Soldier the Allies have, but she *so* is. And her and Bucky have a wonderful understanding. Oh, I LOVE the dynamic you're creating here with all these little vignettes! They make me feel, they make me smile, they're really well written...
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 3 . 9/12/2016
Haha, nice. :) Bucky never stops taking care of Steve, and vice versa. It's a wonderful friendship. :)
Rachel Smith Cobleigh chapter 2 . 9/12/2016
I loved this little anecdote! It makes sense that Bucky would have experienced unpleasant side-effects from his torture / modification, and all three of them are portrayed with such resonance here. I like how Steve has enhanced hearing, and how Peggy still marvels at his casual displays of strength. There's something *other* about him, but still so essentially human. So well written!
concisponci chapter 19 . 8/20/2016
I think anything I want to say about this story has already been said; nevertheless, I'll say it.
Your writing is absolutely beautiful. I could not find one single grammatical or spelling mistake in all of the nineteen chapters I just read in one go, and that's very, very hard to find in a story on this site, methinks. If the touching plot and your eloquence weren't already enough, the absence of SPAG mistakes turns this story into absolute gold.
What I liked most was on point each of the characters' personalities were. You made me fall in love with every one of them all over again, you took what the movies gave you and worked with that, and you did it beautifully, showing the reader what was merely implied in the movies. I'm most impressed with your Steve; your words captured his soul. I feel silly saying that, but you really did. He's brave, he's loving, he puts others before him even if it might kill him (eg. the airplane scene)- he's so strong, and yet he's a child inside, and he only lets it show to Bucky, sometimes Peggy. It's what makes the super soldier human, beautiful person. He's a good person, and, without a single doubt, Erskine would've never regretted his choice.
I think that Peggy and Bucky (love him. Favourite character. I'm so impressed with your portrayal of him) could have gotten more screen time in 'The First Avenger'. 'A Rare Camaraderie' fits seamlessly into the movie, filling the gaps that the viewer was left to complete using their own imagination. None of the chapters feel out of place. Your portrayal of Peggy is masterful, just as it should be: she's strong, brave, but vulnerable, just like Steve and Bucky, not yet broken by war (until the last chapter, that is). Each scene with her and Steve felt natural, like it's truly one of the many stories CA:TFA wanted to tell but just didn't have the time to.
Bucky: I love what you did with him. I feel like the movie told us enough about the brotherly relationship of Steve and Cap, but it didn't quite get to show it, so while 'Winter Soldier' and 'Civil War' picked up on their sibling love seamlessly and understandably enough, I wanted more. And your story delivered. I was touched each time Steve and Bucky referred to themselves as brothers, Bucky teased Steve and played Cupid as best he could, furious when that Nazi used Steve's weakness to have him lower his guard and shoot him, and even more touched how Bucky was the one thing that truly made Steve vulnerable.
Don't take this the wrong way, but reading this story wasn't a good idea. I was on a train, bored out of my mind, found this and started reading it to the soundtrack of 'Winter Soldier'. I had tears in my eyes the entire time while reading the last three chapters. Yeah, the girl sitting in front of me noticed, I think (To quote Natasha Romanoff: "well, this is awkward").
You have a gift, my friend. That conversation between Bucky and Peggy was beautiful and terrifying alike and you made me love Bucky even more. He's a lovable jerk, that one. The way he sort of knew that facing Zola might be his undoing, how he asked Peggy to take care of his brother; it was suspense at its finest, and damn, it hurt.
And I think you broke Steve Rogers with that scene in the demolished pub. It was perfect, and I wish the movie would've showed what you wrote: Steve's utter devastation. I say "you broke him" while he was broken in that scene, but what I specifically mean was Peggy telling Steve the thing with the end of the line, and that was Steve truly lost it, I think, and the moment when I was mad that I was in a damn train and not at home where I could've shed some actual tears, because damn, that paragraph was a true tear-jerker.
The last chapter was perfection too, with the kid and the makeshift shield (is it the kid at the end of 'The First Avenger'? Beautiful scene, both in the movie and in your story) and Peggy vowing to live her life to make Steve and Bucky proud; seeing them for a moment, side by side (great, I'm tearing up again), like they belong. Peggy was, is, and always will be Steves one girl, but Bucky was his family, and I love that Peggy learned to appreciate him, too.
I half wish 'The First Avenger' didn't end the way it did. I think you know what I mean. But the sequels tie up loose ends, and they do provide enough closure. And if for some that's not enough, your story will fill the gaps. And, while at it, rip out one's heart.
Chapeau!
hjohn302 chapter 19 . 8/16/2016
and... now my kids are not around, cause when I realized where this chapter was going I went and hid... and bawled my eyes out!

Amazing writing.. Thank you so much for this story. You are a great writer and you have made our beloved characters even more well rounded and human and approachable than before.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us!

Blessings!
hjohn302 chapter 14 . 8/16/2016
I'm finding this story after you already have it done, but OH! it is so good. The humor in here has had my kids looking at me strangely because I'm giggling and accidentally letting out a random snort as I read this! :)
elusiveauthoress15 chapter 17 . 8/10/2016
This is such a good story: well-written, and everyone seems in character. Your ideas are really good, and you seem to put heaps of work into this story. Good job!
TKcloud9 chapter 19 . 8/8/2016
I love this story. I don't remember if I reviewed the first time I read it but yeah. These last couple of chapters make me cry every time. Thanks for sharing
littlemissliketofight chapter 19 . 7/30/2016
Totally avoided this last chapter because knew what was coming, which was indeed very bittersweet, but surprisingly not as sad as I'd thought it've been, maybe cos of expectations, but also because you portrayed Peggy to be grieving but also still her strong empowered self.

Many thanks
Guest chapter 19 . 7/27/2016
This is one of my absolute favorite fics! I love your writing!
The Red Fedora chapter 19 . 7/20/2016
Heartbreaking but perfect. I want to go back and relive the happy parts. Life isn't like that but that's why we have fiction For when life doesn't make sense.
The Red Fedora chapter 12 . 7/20/2016
Oh gosh you have the characters to a t. Loving your stories!
HeyThereSunshine chapter 13 . 7/18/2016
I loved this chapter! Best part is, "even Dugan's moustache looked pleased" Haha, that has to be one of the best little lines I've ever read in fanfiction.
Lights of the Aurora chapter 2 . 7/16/2016
I've been looking for this kind of story for a really long time, and I'm so glad it's not just a one-shot. This story is the first of its kinds that I've seen, so please don't stop writing.
Rokimbo chapter 19 . 7/15/2016
Amazing story! The characters were just spot-on and every chapter was just a joy to read! I truly did not want this fic to end, (and not just because I knew that Peggy alone was going to be left behind), but because I could read a thousand chapters of the trio's adventures and never tire of it. I still grieve over Steve and Peggy's tragic romance, but I can immerse myself in stories like yours and it makes me feel a little bit better. Thank you so much for posting!
344 | « Prev Page 1 .. 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 .. Last Next »