Reviews for Surrogate Jewels
Athrabeth chapter 15 . 12/31/2014
I really, really like the idea of Elrond and Elros deciding not to reveal their names because it's all they have left from their parents. It's the sort of decision a child would make and stick to, and also a very good way to keep a layer of distance between themselves and their captors.

It's also a clever way to reconcile the idea of Elrond and Elros being names given later when they're found by a waterfall with the idea that they spent a considerable amount of time with Maglor. Most writers discount one version or another, mostly in favor of using Elrond and Elros as their original names. I definitely like this idea better!

I like how complicated everything is here; no one's entirely rational or objective or right.

I enjoyed this story a lot. Thanks for writing it!
maglors harp chapter 15 . 4/29/2014
"'Twould be a good day to die," I laugh.' What a wonderful, sad way to end this story. 'Picking Up the Pieces' is not on your stories list – I hope you post it someday!

maglors harp chapter 5 . 4/29/2014
I am thoroughly enjoying this story. Your take on the Fëanorians is very interesting: not evil, yet still reprehensible. You wouldn't want to be stuck in the same room as them, and yet you can't condemn them. It's a balance many authors cannot strike. And I absolutely agree that Maglor by this point had gone a little insane. Your portrayal of the twins, too, is wonderful: paralysed by fear, and yet brave and defiant. My heartiest thanks to you for writing this fic.

LeafDragonSamurai chapter 15 . 12/18/2013
Where can I find Picking up the Pieces by I cannot find it anywhere and would like to read it?
Emily chapter 1 . 12/16/2008
This story is so beautifully written; I enjoyed it so much. Thank you!
kalinara chapter 15 . 4/3/2006
I just stumbled across this story again, very much liked it. I was wondering if the sequel is posted anywhere. I've a dim recollection, I think, of reading and enjoying it, so I was rather hoping to find it again.

RavenLady chapter 4 . 3/13/2006
"The fires are beautiful, in a way."

Your grasp on these characters awes me - you can have no idea. Maglor's conflicted reaction the Third Kinslaying feels so plausible. The child trying to reach the stars was a terribly poignant moment. These first few chapters show the effects of the Kinslaying so clearly, it's almost too much.

The scene with Maglor trying to force them to eat and drink was so painful, and the thought that the meat reminded them of "the flayed flesh of the Librarian they had seen slain at Sirion" - wow.

"But I do have you. And I am glad for it." - this was chilling. Your Feanorians are so far gone, even Maglor, but the way you write them is totally believable. It's very different from anything else I've seen.
RavenLady chapter 2 . 3/13/2006
I need to review this again. One of my favorite bits:

"It feels so good to hold a brother against my breast who yet lives."

I like your Maedhros - he loves Maglor so much that we *have* to empathize with him, despite everything. You've nailed their relationship, as far as I'm concerned.
RavenLady chapter 15 . 4/21/2005
This should get more reviews! I read this all at once - I guess I kept hoping it would get better. Or something. Right there with Maglor. This is unbearable. Beautifully written, of course, though it was too painful for me to notice for a while. Where's "Picking Up the Pieces?" I can hardly wait to read it.
Tinorial Peredhil chapter 15 . 2/13/2005
AfterEver, this is sincerely one of the best stories I have ever read! And I read *a lot*. I first read it many months ago and was not aware that you were in fact a member of FF! I am *so* glad! Fantastic story! I could not have done better myself! I cannot even think of any words to sufficiently praise you for this work. I love it!
Unsung Heroine chapter 15 . 1/6/2005
Just realized this story has been online for quite some time but I just feel as if I HAD to review it.

Actually reading this hurts almost physically. In fact how Maglor wishes so badly, so desperately to be loved by those children stirs my (honestly barely existing) mother-instincts (or however you want to call it), wanting me to hug him and tell him things will be alright - ah yes, just can't see him hurting THUS. Then there's Maedhros who seems to want nothing more than to spare his brother further pain, but just can't help always doing the wrong things. It's just so tragic, so sad, it hurts so much to witness how everyone seems to be about to lose their mind. It makes me want to weep.

Fine, I just can't seem to find the right words for all of this. It's great, really, even magnified by the fact to see it from different POV's, what often doesn't work, but in your case does so very, very well.

Oh and is there some place where I can find "Picking up the Pieces"? I'd be quite interested in that.
Dragon Confused chapter 1 . 9/5/2004
I liked this story the first time I read it and I still like it now.

I was wondering, is there anywhere online where 'Picking up the Pieces' is still up? I was linking it from a page and I was wondering if the link was fixable?
Jazmin3 Firewing chapter 7 . 10/17/2003
Jez . . . . That's just . . . *shudders* Will this be . . . ah . . . rape-inclined, perhaps? Because that REALLY seems to be in which Maglor's perverted thoughts are headed.
Thirteen Black Roses chapter 15 . 2/7/2003
0.0 wow i jus found this story n i think it is so cool! it is so sad tho to read about the them fading like that... im glad maglor let them go. hes right, that was the first right thing he has done in an age.
Furius chapter 11 . 1/27/2003
Can we say..escalating emotions?

I have reason to suspect that somehow Maedhros snapped in the last two chapters. But it's the somehow part that troubles me, how exactly did he snap?

He still loves his brother..alright..the children are still bratty to his eyes..alright..but perhaps something more definite is in order because frankly, I'm confused, since your revisions has made him more compassionate in the earliar chapters.

Furthermore, I still can't understand why can't the Peredhil stop being depressed and fading if they really are not...It seems inexplicable yet that "they do not know".. I have always thought that grief requires consciousness of it.

BTW, loved chapter 9, bake them indeed! It's so touching...and the Peredhil truly appears children there, very real.