Reviews for Quite Contrary
TheSoundScreecher chapter 2 . 6/23/2019
Hmmmmmmmm... Does Mary's pink soul represent Creativity or somethin? Or is it like that one Undertale AU (Whose name I can't remember) where Pink means Fear?
oLuria chapter 8 . 2/12/2019
updateeeeeeeeeee
GyresEdge chapter 8 . 8/15/2017
God this is good... While I am worried to see it not being continued for a while I have to say that it is good for what is there.

The first parts certainly were longer though it is understandable and I like how the characters are being portrayed.

Mary despite being disturbed and paranoid as well as violent when she became convinced she would be abandoned and betrayed in a way was and remained a child. One who was trapped alone in a world of imagination with no one but other mental constructs once her creator/father died. She was in control of the world in the gallery and one could say that its murderous or dangerous aspects were her working to kill Ib or Garry (Mostly Garry...) she did so for a clear reason. She wanted to be real, alive, free and loved. She wasn't a killer because she wanted to be. She was a killer because she felt she had to be to survive the torture that was her life. Others by her own words had entered the painting and in her own words she had let them go because she did not want to kill and she felt bad about it. But when Ib and Garry show up she reaches the point she cannot help but want and envy a life she wants. One where she could change her life and truly live. One where she could have a friend and a sister with a family to love and care for her. And even before that she watched as Garry showed disgust and hate toward the world and thus her birth place and nature. Garry who lashed out and feared and learned of her nature. Garry who had the lighter that could destroy her and was willing to do so. Yes she is not healthy and yes she lashed out but she only did so to escape a hell. A hell of boredom and denied desire. A prison where no one like her father or her existed. A hell she could look out of and dream about escaping and knew how to leave but required her to kill so she could escape and live. She did not want to risk that Ib would leave and Garry too without her again. And she had the power to at least try to steal her chance at a happy life. Then she was burned to death. A child, scared, desperate and driven insane by lonely torture died in one of the most horrible and painful ways possible. She is portrayed correctly above and her paranoia of others rejecting her would be a fear she would likely carry over into this seeming reincarnation.

Chara, who was never fleshed out much except through perhaps all the dialogue the game gives to the player in descriptions and the "Check" option in the Act menu was also not a perfect human. They hated humanity as Asriel said and yet I think it was more just they hated the hypocrisy of humanity. They also had dark impulse to their imagination and perhaps enjoyed their schadenfreude a bit much as they laughed to cover their discomfort at others suffering perhaps. Still they also seem to be jaded beyond their years. Chara had their reasons for falling underground and they were not pleasant or simply perhaps innocent. Chara suffered some form of abuse or pain from those above and likely those close to them if they even had anyone close to them anymore. It makes perfect sense for them to be as you have framed them. Especially in how they seem to be around Mary. They view her as human as well and for the most part Mary is and they would pick on her and others to show their own self-assured nature and loner mentality to keep distance. They understand that distance can keep you from being hurt by those around you and pushing others is a way of testing them. But even Chara is not a horrible being out of necessity. They are just damaged and we have no proof they are or have been evil or awful. Even in UNDERTALE they never do anything truly bad until the player controlling Frisk destroys everything around them and basically teaches them that the world is a kill or be killed horrible place. They call themselves a demon but only because they believe it after every horrible thing they have seen.

You captured them very well for their innocent qualities. It could have been easy to make the mistake and portray them as simple villains or such. But both of them have reasons for their choices and both are just children ultimately despite their power granted to them by the worlds they live in. If given love and a chance they both could be happy if damaged souls and neither I think is a murderer.

As for grammar and writing I found both enjoyable and well done.

I hope you continue this and look forward to it.
exodus71 chapter 8 . 3/6/2017
A chapter where they meet Sans, Papyrus and their dad Gaster at the lab or their house would be really cool.
absocool8 chapter 8 . 12/26/2016
I'm kind of confused. I thought Mary was a painting. So how can she have a father. Kinda sucks though. Was hoping Mary would call Asgore Daddy.
artofstyle6 chapter 2 . 12/26/2016
It doesn't make any sense to include game mechanics. There shouldn't be any options or black background. Its confusing and makes no sense to include game mechanics in a fanfiction. Just have them talk to the dummy like a normal person would.
VerumUmbria chapter 8 . 11/27/2016
Oh Mary. I love you and I just want to be your friend. Thank you for making this fanfic! I always wanted Mary to have a story where she has friends. Most fanfics make her evil though.
MortalitasBorealis chapter 8 . 11/26/2016
D'aww, short but heartwarming. Guess I'll go check out the fanime, shame it's just a compilation and not an actual "original" work, but still.

Star1412 chapter 8 . 11/26/2016
Very sweet chapter! I feel so bad for Mary now though...
MortalitasBorealis chapter 7 . 11/5/2016
I remember seeing the Chara dress thing somewhere, it's nicely implemented here. URLs don't really work on this site, but I'm sure googling their Tumblr will get results. Always fun to see Chara interpreted as a troubled kid rather than some pure evil demon thing.

Lulu chapter 1 . 10/9/2016
This is so sweet! Both Chara and Mary deserve the amazing goat family
Kawaii Tofu chapter 5 . 10/7/2016
When will you update:(
Asianpotter1 chapter 2 . 9/4/2016
I always wondered whether Mary was a monster or not, since she is basically a fully developed Lady in (whatever colors). awesome
goldia fazbear chapter 5 . 8/20/2016
plz continue le story
MortalitasBorealis chapter 5 . 8/21/2016
Hmm, usually I'm not into Undertale fics, but this is an interesting concept, especially since rather than follow the game path you set the story in the past during Chara's time. Good writing, accurately depicted characters, and I've always found Mary more fascinating than the other Ib characters. Other than the slice of life moments I wonder where you'll take this plot.

54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »