Reviews for Melyanna
Elfique chapter 1 . 5/16/2004
interesting...and if you havent guessed already -i'm going through most of your fics :D heh heh
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 1/27/2004
I liked that a lot. Not much to comment on rhythm and meter; both were excellent. And it was true to character as well.
Good work.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 11/14/2003
*Wipes eyes* This is beautiful, heartbreaking, stunning . . . I would go on, if I could find the words.
Jen Littlebottom chapter 1 . 3/21/2003
O.. yes, yes. Thingol may have been captivated by Melian, but she was the one who gave up more to be with him.

'he coaxed the earth into a sprite and called a spark of flame his wife'

:) Jealous now.
Hellga chapter 1 . 3/16/2003
Thanks for reviewing my haikus, I really appreciated your review!

Your poem is very beautiful, very lyrical. And you even have some rhyming, which is so hard to do in English!
LadyElwing chapter 1 . 1/23/2003
I loved it how you described Melian. You captured her, grieving for her slain husband and her daughter doomed to die, perfectly. There is a very bittersweet tone to this poem when she asks why Thingol has practically left her... even though she is an immortal, wise Maia she does not understand the choices of those not of divine kind and what love can do to someone. Well, maybe she understands the latter, now that all she once accomplished is gone.
alena chapter 1 . 1/19/2003
Sorry I didn't review this earlier...

"he coaxed the earth into a sprite

and called a spark of flame his wife."

I think those are my favorite lines...Spine-tingling.

Just lovely...
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
*rereads poem* hmm, I like it... it suits Melian. Poor Maia. She sacrificed so much for Thingol. Hopefully, she decided to await another day.

- Ellipsis
WatcherChild chapter 1 . 1/14/2003
I have to echo your other reviewers in saying that Melian's feelings of betrayal are justified. If the light of Aman was in her face, then it's sad that Thingol turned to the Silmarils, which were a false version of that very same light.
Soledad too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
Actually, it makes great sense that Melian sees Thingol's longing for the Silmaril as betrayal. After all, it's said in that he saw the light of Aman on her face and was content with it... for a long, long time. So, I wonder what might have changed?
erunyauve chapter 1 . 1/13/2003
You paint Elwe's betrayal of Melian quite vividly - she gave up a great deal for him, in allowing herself to be bound to ME by her love and by Luthien, and in the end he is seduced by a false mistress (not to mention that this leads to the loss of Luthien as well).
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 1/12/2003
Finally it's here!

Another sad Melian story. She seems so destroyed by her marriage, I can only hope in an infinite lifetime she has a chance to be healed.

What bothers me most here is that she blames herself - asking what was wrong with her to make Thingol long for the light of the Silmarils. Poor lady, she should realize that it's not her imperfection that was the problem.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 1/12/2003
Am I really the first? Wow.

Melian is a difficult character to write about, and much more to write poetry about her. Yet you carried it off very well; her remembrances of happy times, her strong love for him and her feeling of utter loss now he has gone. It seems that, Maia as she is, she falls prey to despair and confusion "He did not tell me. He has gone", just as any lesser being would have. And we know that Melians willingness to suffer for the sake of a feeling that did not completely belong to her kind, at least not under that form, is her great tragedy.

Sad, simple and direct. And very good.