Reviews for The Bet
imitationofreality chapter 56 . 5/9
i've never written a comment here before, but I've also never quite cried over a fic like this one. beautiful, the wording and themes and I fell in love with every character. i can't quite express my love and admiration for such a story
DoctorClaryPotterPendragon chapter 56 . 5/5
Thank you for writing an amazing fanfiction, loved it so much!
agoscaste53 chapter 1 . 4/10
is she not ok w him being bi? wtf
quiet-compassion chapter 1 . 4/7
I love this! I'm so excited to read more!
meg chapter 56 . 4/3
This is the best lily and James fanfiction I have ever read. The epilogue made me cry
dizzy-bird chapter 56 . 3/29
Just finished reading and I have to say I loved it! I thought the pranks you came up with were super creative, especially the thestral and the painting, and I loved the little details you added to flesh out the world, like the moon in the shape of a jack-o-lantern on Halloween. Thank you for sharing your story!
Rita chapter 24 . 3/28
James' father is dead. Why is he alive in this part? Lily is seventh year. Why doesn't she use magic to clean a bit of dirt from her clothes?
SaintEverton chapter 56 . 3/22
Utterly brilliant. I didn't think I would find a marauders fic that was on a level with The Life and Times, but here it is. The strength of The Life and Times was the character depth and believability, and it is just as good if not better here. The characters have comprehensible motivations and flaws which make the story a joy to read.

There are so many strengths to this fic, but I think the most impressive element was the level of forethought present in designing the various subplots of the story. Almost every subplot ties into the future of a characters development. This is incredibly impressive, and the satisfaction of predicting the plot twists using the many examples of foreshadowing is immense.

As for weaknesses, there were not many. The main thing that stuck out to me was how in touch with their inner motivations and emotions the majority of the characters were. Not many seventeen year olds I know are anywhere close to that mature.

All in all, it was a brilliant story and I loved reading it. I'm also attempting to write a marauders era story, and reading this makes me feel all sorts of insignificant.
WillowAndMahogany chapter 56 . 3/20
Just spent the last four days devouring this and wanted to let you know how much i liked it! there were some really great lines in here that were so well written regardless of harry potter. lines i would have loved in any book. also, jily fics tend to follow the same pattern where they break up and get back together, and it normally feels forced, but i thought ur version was rly good and made sense with the characters. also... love the marlene/mary storyline. nice. gay. tysm for writing this!
wintersfox chapter 12 . 3/18
This is my favourite chapter so far! I had never thought that Lily'd be brave enough to bid on James, and when she -ahh! Perfect! I can't wait to continue this story!
Jilykindom3027 chapter 56 . 3/12
I love the story so much! But U broke me with not tragedy card.. They loved and live but died so young and unfulfilled the life and future. They could have so much more...
CaVaPasLaTete chapter 22 . 3/5
Sometimes the internal monologues meander a bit. But James concerned about caring too much for Lily is a masterpiece.

Bernie! Love the kid a little more every time I see him. The balls it would take to poke and prod at the very person you’ve been taught to fear.
CaVaPasLaTete chapter 21 . 3/5
Brilliant. Could sing it from the rooftops. All of the chapters are great, but there’s a special flow here. The Lily and James work is riveting.

But the Marauders reminiscing was even more so! My favorite scene from this bunch so far. Your marauders are such whole characters. So many stories have Sirius as a fun loving playboy and Remus as studious and mischievous and James as entirely too perfect, but this has balance and poise and makes them all so complete. Sirius is a jackass. Remus is a stoner. James is an agent of chaos. And Peter has some greatness to him! And that’s evenly good throughout, but it really pays off when they’re all together and playing off of each other.
CaVaPasLaTete chapter 20 . 3/5
I read this chapter in the morning and Nott stuck with me all day. It’s the perfect amount of legitimately disturbing. Not only are your characters entirely lovable, but they’re so hatable too.

And you can do both in one character- I’ve never had mixed feelings about a side character in fan fiction the way I do about your Snape.

Lily dealing with guilt over Peter really drives home how rough of a few weeks she’s having. James perking her up a bit is adorable.
CaVaPasLaTete chapter 19 . 3/4
Jesus this story hits as well as it gives. Great tension buildup through the scene.

Some great turns of phrase here. “Spilled the newts’ eyes” was a personal favorite.