Reviews for The Field and the Forest
Adelie P chapter 28 . 10/16
I realised today there has not been an update in a while; but I also haven't reviewed for a while! This is not because I haven't been enjoying it. This is still epic, heartbreaking, engaging, angsty and this chapter where there is finally some actual communication happening between Guthwyn and Haiweth: such a breakthrough. I hope you'll continue the story soon! Thank you so much for sharing your writing.
loesthemuse chapter 28 . 9/9
I am checking twice a day for a new update, can we expect one soon? Can't wait for the next chapter of your masterpiece!
Raider-K chapter 28 . 7/16
Wow! Great update. I really enjoyed this scene between Guthwyn and Haiweth. It was good to clear the air, and I hope that Haiweth can appreciate a little more of what Guthwyn has done for her.
Lestatsgirl15 chapter 28 . 7/16
Welcome back! Great update and looking forward to the next one.
fineas chapter 28 . 7/15
FINALLY. Thank you I love good communication.
Wow, I've been keeping up with your stories for years and this was something I was waiting for. You've done a wonderful job in keeping the story in Guthwyn's perspective and in her mind. Haiweth and Hammel couldn't have escaped from Mordor without some scars and its nice to see pieces of incidents from past stories come together in this chapter. For Guthwyn to accept that Haiweth is no longer a child is major and to openly talk about some aspects of what happen to her shows growth in both of them.
ZabuzasGirl chapter 28 . 7/15
Wonderful! ;)
Update immediately, please!
daughterofthechief chapter 27 . 6/29
Ugh. I've binge read the entire Rohan Pride ff in 3 days and can I just say I am blown away by your writing and I just want Guthwyn and Legolas to be happy (and yet I don't see this story having a happy ending). I hate Lothiriel-I imagine you are trying to generate pity for her but she treats Guthwyn like utter crap and then acts like such a trauma victim after suffering so much less than Guthwyn (not that what Eomer did to her wasn't horrible). And Hammel-words can't even justify how that felt as a reader-I feel such pity for Guthwyn. I think she is perfectly paired with Legolas though, as she absolutely needs someone as understanding as him. You are such a talented writer-this whole story is breathtaking (and traumatic) and you should definitely try and get published one day. Can't wait for more xx
Brynhilda chapter 27 . 6/14
Thank you for this chapter, which I have been reading and re-reading since its publication, along with more chapters of the Rohan Pride saga.
In the dialogue between Aldeth and Guthwyn, I found that some remarks of Guthwyn to herself about how much Hammel has told Aldeth about his past could also, ironically, apply to Guthwyn's reluctance to share her own secrets with Legolas. But if it was true a few years ago in your story, Guthwyn has started to be more open with him, even if there is much more to reveal yet.
Despite their similarities, Guthwyn and Hammel have certainly different memories of Mordor. I wonder how Hammel has learned so much Black Speech, for instance, as I thought that Sauron's Orcs didn't mix with the human slave army among which Guthwyn, Borogor and the children used to stay.
I don't remember Hammel's bloody fight with Wulfrid. I'll do some research :)
Now I'm worried about Haiweth. Is she still in Edoras ? Will she accept to talk with Guthwyn again ?
It was nice to see Tun again, despite his and Guthwyn's unease with one another.
I also meant to write that Guthwyn has faced so many hard times in your stories that you have to imagine and share with us many good times for her and Legolas now, to balance her destiny towards a happy end, even if life itself comes with its lot of challenges.
Good writing for the next chapters ! I'll be faithfully waiting for them.
Lestatsgirl15 chapter 27 . 6/11
Welcome back! Thank you for the update! Aldeth had to know the truth and I’m interested in what she will do with this new information she’s been given.
Raider-K chapter 27 . 6/8
Poor Aldeth. But it seems that she has known or suspected that Hammel has never been quite right, especially regarding the Wulfred incident. I am glad Guthwine had the nerve to lay it all out there, and that she caught herself making excuses for him and ended up telling a truthful account.

Great chapter—fabulous dialogue and character work!
Mia in the Tower chapter 26 . 5/12
I really need for you to deal with the fact that you've written Eomer into an abuser. He is now just as guilty as Lothiriel of wrongdoings. He's functionally been verbally and emotionally abusive since halfway through Lady's War, but now we've added physical and sexual abuse And yes pretending that you're about to rape someone in order to terrify them is sexual abuse.

Slamming her into walls, making her cry, screaming at her in public, undermining her accomplishments, saying disparaging things about her to Elfwine, deliberately not allowing her to visit her home out of spite, threatening to remove Elfwine from her... he is awful and Lothiriel doesn't deserve this.

I know that your readers really enjoy it when the narrative punishes Lothiriel, but this trauma should be about her and not about Guthwyn. I don't love how Lothiriel's attack now involves her wandering around not eating (as if all trauma survivors react the same way) and imagining what happened to Guthwyn in the stables. Nothing that Lothiriel has done justifies Eomer's actions. And Guthwyn would never condone her brother playacting at rape in order to teach compassion (or I hope she wouldn't).
RP911 chapter 26 . 5/9
Np I really enjoyed brainstorming; thank you again for the wonderful opportunity! Loved the chapter and looking forward to next time as always.
neFaerieous chapter 26 . 5/9
That was well worth any wait and clearly you overcame writer's block. That neatly wrapped things up and left us with a whole new set of cliffhangers!
Brynhilda chapter 26 . 5/5
Thank you so much for this epic chapter ! You have a lot more to write now, with all the characters' points of view you have set up. Legolas was really lovely in this part. Does he remember that he and Guthwyn also once shared their own secrets on the stairs of Meduseld, when she couldn't find sleep at night ? So long ago but so sweet too. Till next chapter !