Reviews for Forging An Empire: Part 1 - Unification of Thessia
KyliaQuilor chapter 6 . 2/26/2020
A very nice fic. Id love to see more someday.
KyliaQuilor chapter 1 . 2/26/2020
Asari using phermones to mess with other races is not actually canon, its just popular fan theory.

A fine theory to use in a fic like this, but it is not canon.
Rydan fall chapter 1 . 4/20/2017
You forget one thing.
The Asari live quite long.
How hard is it to change the ways of old folks, who are set in their ways?
A hundred years is still a child in the Asari eyes.
Which is a great way to slow down advances in all kinds of things.
LifeIsAGreatAdventure chapter 6 . 5/31/2016
Great story. I have always wished there were more fics on the prehistory of the ME universe. This is Certainly a great one and I'm looking forward to the others that you've created in this universe. Your characters are well thought out and the politics is very believable. I wonder if six feet tall is realistic for Asari at this (or any?) period for the simple reason that nutrition and medical science wouldn't have been as well developed. I'd think generations would be shorter too, maybe 200 years as opposed 350-400 as would seem to be the case in the "modern" ME era. If you have recommendations for other fics in this historical period that you enjoy I'd be very glad of them. Thanks loads for your hard work on this, looking forward to future installments.
JBebe chapter 6 . 4/15/2016
I've been wanting more asari centric fics, and yours definitely hits the spot. You've created an incredibly rich culture and society and I'm eager to read more. We've seen viewpoints from the matron and maiden point of views, will we get to see one from a matriarch's as well? All their behind the scenes machinations to unite Thessia would be quite fascinating to learn about too.
RED78910 chapter 6 . 3/15/2016
Another well done chapter. So much fantastic world building in this section. You have crafted a very well fleshed out stone age asari world with pretty much nothing to go on, and for that you really do deserve a medal, as you have done the asari far more justice then Bioware ever did.

And you also do a good job of Bazea as a character. Must be pretty hard for her, living with the people she was fighting against not very long before. Ones who are more or less responsible for her mother's death...

Still, very well done and descriptive scene there at the end. And we are now all caught up with your stuff on AO3 right?

In any event, nice work here. Can't wait for more!
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 5 . 2/29/2016
Epic!
rjohanek chapter 5 . 2/15/2016
Great story! I can't wait to read more!
maleficus-lupus chapter 5 . 2/14/2016
Hmmm, I'm really liking this fic.
Guest chapter 1 . 2/14/2016
Very Original and well thought out. Look forward to more.
RED78910 chapter 5 . 2/14/2016
Again, I have already read over this section and given you my thoughts. At least, I think I did. Right? It is all very original, thoughtful ,and flows in a coherent manner. It gives real motive for the asari to change and forge a true empire.

Thank you for continuing to post, and please keep the updates coming!
Guest chapter 4 . 2/11/2016
cool idea...though unless you follow the path of the games ( using the lame super weapon to win) there is no way that even united completely that the galaxy would win... changing the time table so that the Asari are a little less pathetic doesn't really change enough of the story for this to be anything but alt "history" for the game vers. According to your author notes at least. Even given another ten thousand years to advance past the level they reached in the game (which you have already stated your not planning to advance them much further tech wise) they will barely be past the level of the promethians,,who very clearly lost the fight with little effort on the reapers end...just as all the even more advanced civilizations before them lost. I'd though that by advancing them so soon after a harvest you where maybe going to set them up to actually stand a chance, but just by the feel of these four chapters and your authors notes it's still going to come down to some lame gimmick to turn the tide in a hopeless pointless slaughter fest. In the end changing nothing that really matters. Whether its humans or salarians brought in first doesn't mater. Whether they have faster ships is pointless. Heck you could triple all the younger races populations and ship count and it would be pointless. The reapers have been building ships for a billion years...admittedly advancing very little if at all in that time, but unless the reapers are confronted with a way more advanced race (which you have already stated your not planning to do) or are massively out numbered (what with it taking three whole fleets just to stop one reaper...) your only option is to fall back on the overused, tired, and just plane old lame idea of using the crucible. Well using the crucible means using Shepered, a human! Which runs counter to your whole Empire bit. I always felt the Asari where short changed and made pathetic in the games but why change the history if the outcome has to logically be the exact same. Even changing Sheppards race changes very little of the point...and lets be honest the point is NO ONE likes how the third game ended...being a cheap cop out by a company that was just pushing out a crap game to make money on an already thriving franchise. Don't make them gods or anything but if your not going to go far enough to actually logically change the outcome (no reapers or relays anymore) why bother? changing ther first ten chapters of a book but leaving the rest the same just equals a mixed up, bad, boring story that anyone reading this story has already played! 5 out of 5 for idea 1 out of 5 for planning and forethought!
RED78910 chapter 4 . 2/10/2016
Again, very well done on this story so far. I am glad you are posting this here, as it really is an amazing story, and such a fascinating premise that I truly wish more writers would give it a try and see what happens.

Looking forward not only to you posting the rest of the chapters here, but also hopefully some new ones very soon.

Keep up the great work!
RandomDude chapter 4 . 2/9/2016
Was very heartened to see this. I see all sorts of stories that have different Humanities, but rarely anything like this. I actually wrote a bit of a stronger Asari story. I got about 20,000 words, but haven't touched it in a while. Admittedly, it is quite a bit different from this. My basic concept was that upon discovering the asari's pathological aversion to violence and petite forms didn't suit becoming leaders of the next cycle, the protheans cloned humans and placed them on Thessia as well as servants and enforcers of the asari. This subspecies of humanity became known as asar. This caused the asari to advance faster, reaching spacefaring status over eight thousand years earlier.
I noticed you were skeptical of the timeline for asari progress. I figured that it was because of their lifespans. Because they live a thousand years, the passing of generations takes far longer than it did for humans and turians. If you look up the timeline for Mass Effect, I think I recall the salarians, who only live forty years, only began to have true civilization like 5,000 BCE. Since rapid technological advancement causes massive cultural and political upheaval, the asari, who are explained as centrists who prefer to uphold the status quo, would naturally approach it cautiously. Steady and controlled, if slow, technological advancement would be in my opinion the way of the asari.
Sorry, got off topic. Just wanted to tell you that reading this meant a surprising amount to me as it seems the idea I threw out wasn't so out there after all. I didn't know about those groups you mentioned in chapter !. I'm going to have to check it out. Good luck with this story.
Just a Crazy-Man chapter 4 . 2/9/2016