Reviews for Parseltongue is Really Very Ordinary
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 9 . 8/14/2018
Oh Harry, it wasn’t insultingly easy; you blazed the Lockhart retricted section pass trail!

I really like the balancing act Harry has to do in this. Him being pulled around in a bunch of different directions is something that probably should have happened in canon, but JKR didn’t seem to want to put very many characters in the books.
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 8 . 8/13/2018
I totally passed this over the first time I read this, but all that about changelings and the spells to identify magic is super interesting.

Most pressing: why would you want to make those spells illegal? To make people keep squibs? Why? To protect young Muggleborns from being switched? Plausible, there’s nothing saying that the practice didn’t become gauche because it became very hard to pull off. Actually, that might explain the shift in attitudes, since now muggleborns weren’t a potentially useful resource for purebloods.

Interesting: for the magical people the changeling thing was a super win-win. Leaving squibs behind probably increased muggleborn birth rates, and taking in new blood probably helped inbred families stay diverse enough to avoid bad things. Is all the craziness and deformity we see in the wizarding world (the movies have more than the books, but the books at least have a lot of people who are said to look troll-ish) the result of keeping the same inbreeding practices of past centuries without the changelings to keep the gene pool from becoming too shallow?
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 6 . 8/13/2018
I love that every year Harry has to con another person for restricted section access.
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 5 . 8/12/2018
Review review review. Good chapter!
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 4 . 8/10/2018
Poor Harry. I think the absence of any scene like this in the books is strong evidence that Dumbledore really did raise Harry to have nothing to live for. On purpose, I mean. Obviously he did that purposefully or not.
Guest chapter 3 . 8/9/2018
You have to admitHermione has been throwing her weight around and voicing her criticisms loudly - not exactly trying to fit into her new world is she? And I thought she was supposed to be intelligent.
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 2 . 8/8/2018
"I swear on my magic" is just too broken. Like if you have a way to prove that you're telling the truth all of the time, or to ensure some measure of guaranteed loyalty then so many of the canon problems are solvable, and so many problems that authors might dream up in a fic are solved too. Being able to verify information like that (and whatever people say about the consequences making it so that people are afraid to swear on their magic, there are exactly zero consequences if you're truthful, and that fear actually increases the weight of doing it, making it even more effective) removes a very human dimension to the relationships that people build, and the work that goes into it.

I'm glad it isn't canon (although plenty of things in canon are fairly game breaking in the same way, like Veritaserum, Legilimency, Pensieves, unbreakable vows, the list goes on. Mostly JKR just ignored the implications of these things, which fanfic authors largely either emulate, or else use these contrivances to lazily short circuit important story scenes.
Concolor44 chapter 27 . 8/8/2018
Bravo! A more-than-excellent story. I'm adding you to my Favorite Authors list.

The way you dealt with Lockhart was, in retrospect, genius. I think you are better at plot-weaving than I, and I look forward to the next installment with great relish.

Also, Harry is waking up to the dirty truth of his familial circumstances. It's about damned time.

Thanks for sharing your tale!
Con
Concolor44 chapter 25 . 8/8/2018
Um ... Harry? Storm doesn't smell-taste any LIVING creatures down there, and yet you heard a hiss? Does the concept of an undead snake not occur to you? Have you never seen a zombie film?
Concolor44 chapter 20 . 8/8/2018
... Huh.

Okay, then. Nice plot twist there. I can't recall how Lockhart would have gotten hold of the diary, but I feel sure you left clues. I was simply too dull to note them at the time.

This should be QUITE interesting. Yes.
LongSelfindulgentReviews chapter 1 . 8/8/2018
Dang, even changing your username and waiting 60 days doesn’t fool FFN into allowing duplicate reviews. I suppose that’s for the best, though my jimmies are fairly rustled about having to wait a few days for my AO3 account code. First world problems

Anyway, another installment begun! I vaguely remember that this one was really great, but I don’t recall the specifics. I’m excited to rediscover them!

I kind of have a theory that how a fic handles the pre-second year Dobby plotline is very indicative of a certain kind of future problems. Argh! I have so much to say about fine tuning railroading levels, but some other time. I need to sleep now.
MajaS chapter 21 . 8/2/2018
I’m really enjoying this! It’s a new spin I haven’t read before.
Concolor44 chapter 2 . 7/30/2018
To me, one's swearing on one's magic and/or life seems like a logical corollary to the Unbreakable Vow, which most definitely IS canon, except that it doesn't involve other witches/wizards in the execution. It probably would need to be witnessed, however, to be valid. I would use it in a story, and not give a second thought to its use in someone else's.
gyuunmaesan chapter 23 . 7/16/2018
Now I want a short story of Tom's interactions with Lockhart!
Guess chapter 27 . 7/8/2018
Ah! I love your writing! Very attentive to both detail and the big picture! I absolutely adore your portrayal of Harry and his friends! I especially like Snape’s gruff concern.
735 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 .. Last Next »