Reviews for Parseltongue is Really Very Ordinary
Detsella Morningdew chapter 2 . 3/2/2021
The "magic oath" thing does have one instance in canon that does exist. It is called an Unbreakable Vow, and it is considered super serious, and not at all something to do lightly.

It is also a lot more restrictive than the fanon version. It requires two people to cast, rather than one, and three statements that the person vows, rather than one. (At the very least, the only Vow ever made in a scene used three statements, and the number is both magically significant and seemed integral to the spell when it was used.)

Oh, and you die if you break any of the terms. I don't think there is any precedent for losing your magic except for the Triwizard Cup. I understand those two examples being used to create other magical vows that are less severe than the Unbreakable Vow, but those are the non-canon ones that are often seen in fanfiction. (Normally for convenience purposes. They can be used well, of course, but usually it is due to laziness.)
old-crow chapter 27 . 2/23/2021
Hi,

Another year finished. Congratulations.

As a rule, I'm not a fan of multi-year/book fanfics - they take too long and are essentially retellings. Specifically, they have too little original content. That said, yours had loads of new twists and turns.

In this tale, I enjoyed the letters back and forth between Harry and his mentor. Shades of gray are usually far more interesting than black or white. The advice that Harry has been given seemed to be beneficial.

I also enjoyed your Harry's negotiations with Lockhart. They offered a nice twist on the tale, as well as giving Harry a useful life experience.

Finally, it is nice to read a tale where Harry interacts with someone besides a very dull Ron character. I hope this trend continues and your Harry meets up with the badgers.

In balance, I wish that the stories moved along faster. Your year one was sixty some thousand words. Year two went twice as long that appears to be an ongoing trend. Then again, personal preference is just that - one persons opinion.

I look forward to starting your year-three.

cheers

Old-Crow
SirLordLonKirk chapter 5 . 2/10/2021
Great story and great chapter.

I am just re-reading the series ready for the next part of the series, "Unprecedented Competition" and came across this "After a disturbing carriage ride to the castle (skeletal horses – really?)" And I need to know who and when has this Harry seen death and understood it?
blucougar57 chapter 15 . 2/6/2021
Well, I certainly hope Harry tells Ron where to go when the red-headed git comes sucking back up to him after everything’s over with.
Samwise Pevensie chapter 27 . 1/1/2021
Dental checks for children in UK are free. As are eye tests and glasses unless you want more expensive frames.
A Businessman chapter 23 . 10/11/2020
imagine seeing a note at the beginning of lockhart's next book: "My thanks to Teenage-You-Know-Who for proofreading the early drafts of this book."
hpfanscs chapter 27 . 8/3/2020
I have enjoyed this story and the previous one. Your Harry is very realistic. He really doesn't understand that he has been verbally and otherwise abused. Even Snape can't get through to him. I imagine Snape's reaction to the crystal Lily inheritance is a reaction to Dumbledore's interference in his life. It would help so much if Snape would let Harry know about the picture. But everyone to their secrets which is a foundation to the series and the cause of so much conflict. Your story is well written. Thank you.
so perfect it hurts chapter 27 . 6/27/2020
I am so enjoying this series. You do an excellent job of writing a very clever character who still makes mistakes due to his knowledge and emotions at the time. It's a hard line to walk, but you do it beautifully. I'm also enjoying the expansion of the relationship between Harry and Snape.
One sentence stood out to me *warning spoilers* when tom riddles spirit said " the original part is gone" speaking of it's soul piece I suppose. I wonder if that means QuirrelMort is dead (and the soul can feel when this happens)? Or if Ginny wrote about Harry defeating Voldemort and Tom just assumed he is dead .

Straight onto the next sequel.
Thanks for writing!
- SPIH
EmeraldGem92 chapter 27 . 5/28/2020
Once again you'e written an amazing fan fiction! I look forward to continuing the series and really hope it has an ending and doesn't just get cut off.
LadyRainDancer chapter 27 . 5/28/2020
Excellent story telling yet again, off to the next one!
Samwise chapter 27 . 4/18/2020
Guest chapter 3 . 4/3/2020
The extension charm within an extension charm problem seems strange to me, didn’t Hermione do just that with a tent and handbag in The Deathly Hallows?
Laurel G. White chapter 13 . 3/25/2020
I typically review at the end of binging a series, but I was compelled to say a few things:
- Really enjoying this uptick of humor, with the brief conversations with Draco (last chapter) and the twins (this chapter)!
- The Neville narrative and empathy the boys share is beautiful.
- VERY much appreciating this sneaky correspondence with Quirrell!mort. I've read quite a few fics with reasonable!TomRiddle or obliviated!TomRiddle, but they usually play out differently, so I'm loving your story so far.
- Also, this was quite a few chapters back, but your inclusion of the Slytherin Quidditch player apologizing to Harry for the unwarranted spell was a really nice way to flesh out the subtleties of the family alliance system.
Two thumbs up from me so far!
FFFudgeUp chapter 27 . 3/9/2020
Love the way you handled the Heir of Slytherin debacle and the issue of Snape. Great story! Love the series
Haleo6 chapter 27 . 2/22/2020
This is one of my favourite hp fics ahhh
736 | « Prev Page 1 .. 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 .. Last Next »