Reviews for Parseltongue is Really Very Ordinary
TacoKing23 chapter 5 . 12/3/2019
Possible minor inconsistency: Vegans. While I am fairly certain they have always existed, I am pretty sure they didn't really become a major societal irritant until at least the 2000's. I don't think they were shunned enough in 1992 for 12-13 year olds to be aware of, let alone make jokes about.

Granted, I could be totally wrong. I know I didn't hear about vegans until the 2000's, but I am a singular data point, and I have never thought to look into it.
Guest chapter 27 . 11/22/2019
Overall, I found this story quite enjoyable. I especially like the inclusion of the rainbow serpent since it’s not something I’ve ever seen before and I hope there will be more detail on that in the next fic.
Neakco chapter 27 . 10/17/2019
I really love your take on character development in this series. I will admit to binge reading and getting so enthralled that I forget to review.

I love as well the development you give to all the characters and not just Harry. It is nice to read a story that makes the characters very human instead of 'perfect'

I plan to continue binge reading the series and will try to comment at least once per story. But again I get so enthralled by the characters and story telling that I do not even always realise I have clicked to the next chapter.
Guest chapter 24 . 10/15/2019
Awwww. He had to become friends with Ron again? I am a bit biased against him, but still... I have to admit I doubt I would’ve forgiven Ron enough for him to become my close friend again, but I haven’t had the same experience as Harry, have I? You know, it’s kind of ironic that Ron, who warned him of backstabbing Slytherins, backstabbed him!

I can’t wait to see what you come up with for Remus Lupin, and Barty Crouch Jr./Alastor Moody, OH even better - Umbridge! I recently found a fic where Umbridge raises Harry, but I haven’t got round to reading it yet! Maybe this will be similar to the Jr. Inquisitor story I read a few years back? I guess we’ll have to wait and see!

Good luck with the rest of the story!
Guest chapter 16 . 10/15/2019
My opinion on the whole muggle-wizard thing is a bit mixed.

Basically I think that they were originally separate and not related, but after squibs started to marry into muggle society, they introduced the phenomena of muggleborns. Obviously wizards were involved in muggle society, but they tended to marry other wizards, and witches, with some exceptions obviously. Then purebloods became prejudiced against muggles because of the witch hunts etc. Then against muggleborns after the industrial revolution etc. because things wizards did like the way they dressed etc. were seen as old-fashioned and ‘going back to the dark ages’ and so they were a bit like hermione (this literally just autocorrected to heroin, like no joke.)

I have to admit, I doubt wizards and witches would be affected by germs as much, because just using a cleaning spell would get rid of them, and I think of wizards as their own separate species, so there are obviously differences, and people with muggle blood would be like a mix, but not that different since the species are so similar. I think that in the Harry Potter world the humours could have an effect, more so on wizards than muggles, because well, magic. And if certain days and times have significance and elements, it kind of does fit in. I think harry should have an open mind about that, but it makes sense how he reacts to it because he’s thinking - oh this is from the dark ages...!

I think you get what I mean - this is pretty much a justification for blood purists lol, but it makes sense to me. (For a theoretical HP universe obviously, I don’t believe the humours have much to do with physical health. If anything at all, it would have to be spiritual, but I haven’t seen much evidence for that, so idk.)

I could keep on ranting but this has nothing to do with the story, like most silly reviews...

Anyway I’m really enjoying this story! Good luck with wherever your at now. I’m really happy with how you don’t make stupid grammatical mistakes! Well done. You really make good, flawed, characters. And while we do with they did everything perfectly, when we read a story like that it just turns us off, most of the time anyways. Once in a while you’ll find a good story where they’re really good at everything, but most of them will be humour/parody. Let me stop ranting here and bye, and have a nice day!
Guest chapter 10 . 10/15/2019
I assume the grammar would be the same as if it was normal dialogue in the middle of a sentence
ie.
You said -
Draco didn't say anything except a murmured "Get well soon", much like the others.
I assume it would be -
Draco didn't say anything except a murmured, "Get well soon," much like the others.

I’m not sure if there would be another comma after the speech marks.

Eg.
Draco didn't say anything except a murmured, "Get well soon,", much like the others.

It doesn’t look right so I don’t think so.
Guest chapter 2 . 10/15/2019
I’m guessing that you’re referring to the oath with quirrellmort, which seems to have been changed. I don’t think the ‘I swear on my magic’ is canonical, but I’m not entirely sure, as much of my knowledge is some of the books meshed with the movies, and the movies left out a LOT of things, but I’m pretty sure I’ve read all the books at one point...

Oh well, I guess the only thing that would bother me about that is that he let quirrell get away without a life debt, but I think that was more likely anyway, wasn’t it? And that stayed in there anyway, since it isn’t really related to the whole ‘I swear on my magic’ thing.

Also I kind of hate it when people go

‘I, Lord Harry James Potter-Peverell-Gryffindor-Slytherin-Ravenclaw-Black-...etc. swear on my magic that..., so mote it be!’

Yes I hate it when there’s a million titles! One or two is okay, but more than that and your pushing it!
Guest chapter 1 . 10/15/2019
It makes total sense -

Maths is short for MathematicS
Not mathematic
Maths is the plural, while math would be the singular, which isn’t used all that often.

Also I’m a bit miffed that your Harry lied about the Scottish system being inferior...but that’s mainly me just thinking that nat5s and highers make much more sense than GCSEs. (aka me being biased against the English lol)
Toodamnmanyfandoms chapter 16 . 10/3/2019
Okay that’s it drop bears being real and part of the diet of a rainbow serpent is my favourite piece of Australian/Harry Potter mythos ever. I love that so so much hahahahaha oh my god
TheHuntresss chapter 15 . 9/11/2019
Here's a new diary for you master...
Forensica X chapter 27 . 8/23/2019
Another delightful installment. I’m loving the deliberate, subtle development you’ve built for Harry and his merry band. Can’t wait to see things heat up further, and what will happen with voldy.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 26 . 7/18/2019
Just a bote; J.K. Rowling herself said somewhere (I think in an interview) that Draco came to Hogwarts already being pretty damned good at occulmency.

(Okay, she might have said something closer to "...knowing more occulmency than anyone barring Snape." But I'm not 100% sure about the specific wording. My memory remembers in concepts, not quotes. I just know he's good.)
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 25 . 7/18/2019
I absolutly agree about Crouch and languages, IF he speaks them all fluently, or close to.

Personaly, I know...or have known...around 50 languages, I counted once... But most of them we're talking about maybe a few words at most. And I've compleatly forgotten all of the Amazon tribe's language and most the Romani I used to know. And my hiroglyph reading went from amazing to deplorable.

If you don't use a language constantly, it slowly detariorates. People have been known to forget even their native language when they move and never use it.

And who in the world, anywhere, EVER uses 50 languages on at least a monthly or weekly basis?

So yeah... that HAS to be magical. Maybe some kind of spell for eidetic memory. (In Real Life magic, there actually exist spells to enhance your memory.)

Alternativly, I suppose some kind of memory-transfer from a native speaker, combined with locking the memory in place so it can't vanish in the mess that is the human mind.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 24 . 7/18/2019
Wow. Wizards really DO live in the dark ages! Oo

To have to PAY for hospital stay! In ENGLAND! INSANE! Oo

Brilliant idea with having Lockheart take credit tho.
Dark-Prince-of-Clowns chapter 8 . 7/16/2019
Hermione is INCREDIBLY biggoted on certain topics. Like the house elves.

Why is slavery wrong? She doesn't care. She -actually- talked to a hogwart elf in the books, and then promply claimed they had been brainwashed when the elf said they loved serving.

(The promply set about making clothes for them and trying to trick them into taking them so they'd be freed, making her the equalent of Voldemort in the eyes of houseelves, if I'm not mixing that part up with a fanfic. I think it's canon.)

Houselves doesn't sound at all like slaves to me. They sound like Trell. The viking version of slaves.

That is to say, they are owned, yes, but they also have basic human rights. Well, much of it as any had back then. They can own things and earn money outside their servant work, and if they save enough money, they can buy themselves free. (If the owner let them. Most owners would. I doubt the Malfoys would tho.)

I wouldn't be suprised if houseelves could do they same, but don't want to. But mabe not.

Hermione also refuse to accept that ANYONE can have a different culture and morals than she does.

The ENTIRE houseelf culture revolves around serving wizards. And what happens when you take away someone's entire culture, religion and reason for living?

I've seen what happens to various tribal people whom has been 'modernized'.

They get fat. They get depressed. They feel lost and have no connections and feel rootless and just plain miserable.

If she had bothered to apply the scientific methode to anything she did, she'd be hell of alot smarter. (You would think she'd at least respect science, but clearly not.)

I compleatly understand why everyone hates her. And I understand very well why purebloods hate muggleborns if they all act like her. And I strongly suspect they all do...even if most aren't nearly as vocal about it...because there doesn't seem to exist any courses on wizard culture available, nor any books. At least non in hogwarts. (Otherwise mione would have found them.)

Most likely it's because they assume it's a "Well, doh! EVERYONE knows it. It's common sense."

I mean... When was the last time YOU saw a book on the culture of your country in your local, small library, if you live in a normal, small town?

(I know I've never seen it. At best it is mentioned in books describing -other- cultures, in a "...as opposed to what we do here..." kind of way.)

I'm happy you keep people in-character tho. But I hope she'll eventually realise how much she sound like a biggoted religious fanatic. Harry IS helping her on the way here. Lol

Keep up the good work.