Reviews for Tapestries
Duilin chapter 1 . 12/30/2011
I'm shocked. Very shocked. Though I have recently stumbled upon your stories, your poetry has struck a cord with me - especially the last four lines. Truly, I am amazed by the haunting, perfect truth of Feanor's madness.
Nerdanel chapter 1 . 7/22/2004
Without a doubt, this is the greatest poem I have ever read on , and one of the best I have ever read, period. Absolutely brilliant (as overused as the word may be, it is truly deserved here). Shall I even try to put into words how awed I am by that last stanza? It ought to give me shivers for a long while, that I am certain of.
Adaneth chapter 1 . 4/28/2004
I don't know what to say except that I am absolutely speechless. This is one of the most amazing poems I have ever read, including all those famous ones one had to read in school and were "the escence of poetry" or "Good poetry".
I love the way you can portrait Feanor and his sons in such odd ways, but still make them completly believable. I like the rhyme and rythm which sometimes don't quite fit, like Feanor also sometimes doesn't fit.
I think the last stanza is extremely touching and fitting, and makes a good end to the poem.
RavenLady chapter 1 . 4/26/2003
This is so eloquent, creepy, and creative.

I'm impressed.
Deborah Judge chapter 1 . 1/18/2003
Perfect. I am in awe.

Feanor's POV is so difficult to write, but yes, this is how he would speak. I love the way the carefully constructed verse barely holds in the wildness of the speech, like fate barely constrains Feanor. Or does it? Lots tot hink about here.
Staggering Wood-Elf chapter 1 . 1/16/2003
*speechless*

How did you do it? Your poems are so beautiful, so lyrical, yet you still make such a devastating climax each time. What a haunting image, Fëanor leaving bloody prints on Vairë's weaving... Chilling, yes, I would say it is.
Tyellas chapter 1 . 1/16/2003
Thank you so much for both the fantastic poem and your kind words. I'm blushing here! The poem is inventive, defiant, evocative, and has wonderful meter and rhyme. I feel like I've been given a soft, dark silk scarf with a red thread through it, one that I will run through my hands again and again.
Finch chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
This has it all - rhyme, metre, rhythm striking images, and above all, thought: it addresses a central concept in Tolkien's mythology. It took me along from the first to the last line, and I don't think I'm overdoing it when I say that in places it easily matches Tolkien's own poetry.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
Fate and free will, indeed *grumbles* OK, OK, Ihave to admit that the image of Míriel weaving Fate and Fëanor leaving his mark on it, and in blood...

Will it be too stupid and obvious if I say its chilling?
Joan Milligan chapter 1 . 1/15/2003
You, dearest ficcer, make Daeron the Singer proud.

I'm trying to put into words my reaction to that last verse, but words fail me. Alas, sometimes it's the finest crafting of words that leaves you lost for any more.

It was... dazzling, evoking such images and ideas, which went far beyond Tolkien, into the very heart of fantasy - yes, I'll say of all writing. Some deeper essence is echoed here, and echoed well. There are poems, and then there's sheer poetry. This should forever be brought up as an exmaple of the latter.

You ought to publish it, really. It transcends every original theme. It transcends... just about everything I knew about poetry.