Reviews for The Name of the Game
Five years later with no update. Not even an author’s note telling us it is discontinued. Lame.
HaziX WeeK chapter 1 . 3/17
the "oni-chane" got me laughing so hard and then immediately became cringe, i would continue reading but i have a lot of stuff im reading at the moment.
coll idea though
St. Fyrecat chapter 1 . 3/17
I see that this has not been updated since 2018. Does that mean that you have completely abandoned it? If so, that makes me sad. I really enjoyed the story so far, and keep checking checking back to see see if it has been updated.
If you can convince your muse to return to this story, it would be much appreciated!
Efail1 chapter 8 . 3/2
This story kinda feels like artificial drama? There's nothing that actually matters in the long run besides a deadline for joining beacon and even then he's kinda going at it in a really weird way. The dialogue also feels off most of the time like he's constantly confused and whiny about his system... really he's kinda just whiny in general. Complaining about parts of the system and then jumping right into it. A lot of the conversations also feel like a beginner dnd player, they react and make jokes but the people around them kinda just don't react right to just how weird the mc is so everything feels off. He kinda feels like he's got low-level Aspergers or on some level of the spectrum. There's sm*t though so most people probably don't care.
Vorthod chapter 33 . 12/28/2023
The series has a couple moments that are a bit unnecessarily heavy-handed referencing real-world politics, but all-in-all I did enjoy the series quite a bit. It's a shame it got dropped. Doubly so since it happened basically right before the moment where the cover image actually becomes relevant. Regardless, thank you very much for the fun story.
VamPyr00 chapter 16 . 12/21/2023
Seems to me that the MC has become a whipped doormat. He basically gets NOTHING out of the relationship with those girls other than sex, which he could get anywhere (don't even bring up companionship, since he has a HUGE family now that he could spend time with). The girls gain (read: demand) money, status, housing, free food, power, unique abilities, HIS SECRETS, AND generally get treated like royalty; while all they give him is sex.

They haven't even trusted him with their BACKGROUNDS and yet they demand him to tell them everything about himself AND his powers, plus basically do everything for them. He can't even go on a casual date without asking for PERMISSION because they have 'Veto Rights' and could get mad and simply betray or leave him; meaning HIS opinions don't even matter! The sad thing is that he goes along with it! He tells them all his secrets, powers, plans, and EVERYTHING while he gets NOTHING in return. Honestly, it is just pathetic.

The only one that brings true benefits to the table is Joan, since she can take care of herself AND help him. All the other girls are basically useless liabilities. Miltia is better than the others (since she basically became his personal secretary/information broker) but is still a liability due to her weakness. He could EASILY gather that information on his own with a simple use of his powers, making anything they could tell him irrelevant.

It may sound harsh, but they ARE weak links and can be easily used against him by his future enemies (Case in point: Emerald was able to follow Neo to HIS home to kill him). Not only that, but they are cutting into his own personal growth and research time for useless shit like 'romance' (individual dates that span entire days is fucking ridiculous with how little free time he has, yet they demand it).

He has also put too much trust into them at this point and has no real way of ensuring their loyalty without infringing on his extremely inconsistent morals (one second he is uncaring and cold, next second he is a fucking bleeding heart). If they ever betray him or simply find someone they like better (since they seem really shallow/easy), they will know all his secrets and powers and even be able to use the powers that HE granted them against him.

I really like the story development, game elements, action, and world building in this story so far. Unfortunately, the relationship and character development has taken a nosedive since he left home. As I stated above, the only one that is even useful to him is Joan and she would also be the least likely to ever betray him. All the other girls seem shallow and too easy to really trust (all of them 'joined' after a single night with him). All this trouble they pose while giving him no benefits he couldn't get for himself AND imposing ridiculous restrictions on him (like 'Veto Rights' and demanding he 'romance' them to keep THEM happy, disregarding HIS feelings).

Now that the story has devolved into the cliche 'MC gives all his girls the same power he has', I doubt I'll be sticking around for long. It is an amazing, well-written story but the relationship/harem development completely ruined it for me. I don't mind the setup but even harems are supposed to be 'give and take', just like ALL relationships. The fact that the MC is the only one 'giving' in this scenario while the girls give NOTHING just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
VamPyr00 chapter 15 . 12/21/2023
Oh God, please, PLEASE don't go the clone route. It NEVER turns out good. At best, the girls stuck with clones seem neglected. At worst, it's like some weird self-NTR type thing. It just isn't worth it, no matter how often it's used.
VamPyr00 chapter 13 . 12/21/2023
Lol, that's definitely his sister. If she DOESN'T already know who he is, then that will be awkward as hell later! XD
VamPyr00 chapter 8 . 12/20/2023
So, random question, why hasn't he created any resistance skills yet? I remember he got that Physical Resistance/Endurance (whatever it was) skill from getting beat up by his little sister but he hasn't created ANY elemental, magic, dust, or aura resistance skills yet. Seems like a pretty obvious thing to create if he is dealing with an elemental Semblance or grimm.
VamPyr00 chapter 5 . 12/20/2023
Ugh, seems like the MC is a pathetic coward...
VamPyr00 chapter 2 . 12/19/2023
Seems like he completely forgot about his pigstye of a room. XD
VamPyr00 chapter 1 . 12/19/2023
I've never even watched/read RWBY but this first chapter was absolutely amazing. Kudos to you, Mr. Author.
Bane61 chapter 33 . 11/22/2023
I freaking loved this story!
I hope you come back one day and finish!
SkyNeves chapter 10 . 11/18/2023
So... you wanted drama so you went for cinder, Ozpin and Ruby even though there's a lot that could be drama worthy like meeting the other sisters, meeting the parents, training montage or literally anything besides the cinder situation which was forced as f. Everyone told him to stay away but since he thinks with his junk he decided to go in anyway.
And using "knowing her plans to foil them later" excuse doesn't cut it because he can literally become invisible and undetectable to later just do a rogue stealth takedown and end her... but no, let's think with our junk and see where it goes.
ShankZZ chapter 9 . 11/10/2023
my biggest issue of my addiction to fanfiction is that when I begin to enjoy a character or MC and their approach to their new life then the author turns them into an idiot all at once like this it's retarded for someone with for knowledge to align with Cinder for any reason not to mention his underworld is meant as a cover for money and he is already short on time for training this plan of "infiltrate" Cinder group is fantastically stupid way to draw large amounts of all bad guys attention to him self and his family by default while incredibly weak with little to no experience so ok till this chapter then abandoned for damaged IQ
3,281 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »