Reviews for Fell Knowledge
asdfjkl chapter 1 . 6/17/2009
well, i was really confused. it was choppy and bouncy. what i did understand, i really liked though. only, i did not understand very much. your descriptions were good, though perhaps a bit too good since you got the mood across, but you never actually explained very much.

i love beren and luthien though. so thanks xD
Anya Midnight chapter 3 . 12/2/2003
You are a really gifted writer. This was one of the best fics I've ever read. I've got one question, though. I thought Thuringwethil lent her vampire skin/cloak/thing to Luthien instead of Luthien actually killing her. Maybe I should check that...
-Anya Midnight
Anthea P chapter 2 . 3/4/2003
I must admit, I was intrigued by the premise of this one. I was curious as to how other people had interpreted this particular part of the story and how it would have affected the characters. All the same, I also must confess that after reading through it, I felt in the end that I had gone looking for a story and hadn't found one, like I had just eaten a fancy but fluffy pastry that didn't fill me up.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I saw pretty words, certainly- lots of them, and I don't know if my suspicion that the author had fallen in love with their words instead of with the story idea was a wrong or misguided one. Some of the words were good, and some were muddled and collapsed under their own weight, and at any rate, I couldn't help but think that since I was reading a story and not a poem, I shouldn't have to pick through them in search of the plot. I love well-done poetry in its own right, and I think you could certainly write it if you wanted to, but there is also a time and place for the appropriate use of it. Too much of it and the elegance and quality of a single well-executed image becomes lost among the jumble of others, reduced to a mess of words before the eyes. Hunting through all the words, I sought in vain for some insight or exploration of the characters I had not seen before, something that moved me on a level beyond simply 'oh, that's a pretty metaphor,' something that grabbed me and held me and made me want to read it all the way through to the end. I like Tolkien -because- there is such richness underlying his simplicity of language; or, perhaps, the simplicity of the language leaves the richness bare to the reader's eye. It speaks for itself, without him having to dress it in too many frills and ruffles- not nearly as many as there are here, at least. Too many flavours spoil the broth, and the individual character of each one is lost.

It's not a -bad- story. It could be good. In fact, it could be excellent. The problem is that much of what's -truly- there is lost under the excess of words, and the characters lose their voices, and the story is being forced to speak, more so than it is speaking for itself. Perhaps my rather jaundiced view will mean little to you in the face of the apparently overwhelming fan opinion that "more words better," but all the same, I wanted to see this story be more than it was because the premise was so interesting, and was a bit sad when it was not.
Oboe-Wan chapter 2 . 2/2/2003

The weekend comes, and I meander lazily to to browse over what I've missed in my "lurkdom" ... and find THIS.

wow. just wow.

First of all, for the insight. I must admit that it never really entered my head that the forms of Drauglin and Thuringwethil that Beren and Luthien took on for their journey into Angband were any more than JUST forms... And yet, by your logic, they would have to be more than mere disguise, for it to work. As usual you make it real... woven perfectly into the story.

And you make it frightening - the constant battle for Beren to keep a hold of his self against the unthinking instincts of his wretched form. And as usual, both he and Luthien blaming themselves for what they've put the other through... *shakes head*

I REALLY love the way you write Beren... Every slight memory of his youth and Dorthonion so beautifully builds his character into something deep and lovely, even apart from his place in his epic love story. If there were no Luthien, Beren would still be this incredible character... incredible person. Just as if there were no Beren, Luthien would still be.. well... herself. But they're both the better for the compliment of the other?

I know the minute I submit this review I'm going to think of half a dozen other things I wish I'd said in it... But at any rate...

Your command of and love for the language just makes this sparkle. It's amazing and downright uncommon to find a writer who excels both at dialogue and this kind of abstract narration - that you can keep the reader not only interested, but RIVETED when no one is even speaking is just some kind of wonderful gift. Thanks so much for sharing it.