Reviews for Harry Potter and the Aftermath
myoung228 chapter 30 . 7/12
An amazing story. I loved it and wish you would write more within this universe for your created characters.
JetLaBarge chapter 30 . 1/12
Great ending.

Jet LaBarge
JetLaBarge chapter 1 . 1/12
I stayed up way too late reading this last night, and am now trying to find out where I left off.

I would like permission to use the Twisted Snake curse in my Harry Potter series. I will, of course, give you credit and recommend your story.

The passage describing it is one of the funniest I have ever read.

Jet LaBarge
JetLaBarge chapter 3 . 1/11
This is the best fanfiction story I have read in ages. Certainly the funniest.
Slaidback chapter 30 . 3/7/2019
Thanks! That was an amazing story, answered a few missing questions in Harry Potter lore.
holyscythe chapter 30 . 3/19/2018
well this story is really good, and that last moment with the rice was quite funny.
are you gona make more chapter if so i am gonna be really happy to continue to read this awesome
story, i am a new fan and ryan is a really good character you have writen.
have a nice day, from a new fan.
:D
arthemys chapter 30 . 11/14/2016
Excellent! Niagara Falls of rice! XD So good and funny!
arthemys chapter 29 . 11/7/2016
So good to read this chapter! I thought the story had stopped, what a relief! And it's very good, as usual!
rjwizardusa chapter 29 . 11/5/2016
Author here - I've rewritten the ending. Big thanks to readers for feedback; it was a little "underwhelming." Two more chapters coming!
rjwizardusa chapter 27 . 9/27/2016
The Author here - wanting to thank everyone very much for all the feedback, and please keep it up! It's really great to hear from people who enjoy the story, like arthemys and Fluff Monster and the rest, it just makes my day every time. But I'd like to especially thank TheOldMasters for such a detailed critique. I sent him a private message, but want to repeat publicly that I didn't resent his objections in the least. His points were well taken and gave me much food for thought, which is what I was hoping for: I'm trying to learn to be a writer, and the only way to do that is to write. Fanfiction is a wonderful way to put some writing out there and find out what lots of people think about everything, style, plot, characters, etc. etc.

TheOldMasters' main point was that my new characters were accepted and trusted too easily, too quickly by the familiar group of Brits who were just coming out of the crashing climax of a long, horrible experience. He might be right. It's certainly a valid question! After long thought and re-reading Chapters 3-4-5, I have to agree there could have been more time spent dealing with British angst, but I'm not going to rewrite them. Ryan is almost as young as they are, has not been harrowed as they have, and it's his POV. Voldemort is gone, and the British are hoping for, groping for, a world where paranoia and suspicion are not normal survival behavior. Suddenly meeting a Wizard for whom this has never been true would be very attractive, I think, a welcome and refreshing experience. That justifies their initial acceptance of Ryan, and their relationship develops further as events unfold. Ryan, for his part, is too young and inexperienced to be as wary as he might if he were older; he is focused on making some contacts and finding things out and would be mostly wary of offending anyone, which could make that harder.

TheOldMasters' criticism of Blackstone is not really justified, I think; Blackstone does not take things at face value. He is open but official at long distance, instantly coming to see for himself when a real question arises (with a loud bang). He is old and experienced and wise enough to judge people well, and it's not surprising he decides to trust Kingsley Shacklebolt. Good people can feel good vibes from other good people. Besides, I stole bits of Blackstone from several of my favorite authors (it's called research) and I like him.

All that thinking was very useful, and may well influence the second part of the story. One reason the ending wasn't a climax ("underwhelming" is a fair description) is that it stops in the middle of the overall story. The second half is in the works, but I'm making no promises about deadlines - Real Life is too importunate.
arthemys chapter 28 . 9/27/2016
Great story! I haven't seen before that it was complete, I'm a little disappointed, but since you're already working on a sequel all is good, then! For my part I think it was a good plot, and on the contrary I didn't find it surprising that Ryan had been immediately welcome. Even in real life one can feel good vibes (or bad ones) from people around, and all the more from good people like Ryan or the admiral. Just keep on the good work, it's awesome! And I've often laughed reading the new chapters, and that's great. It's not easy doing humor, writing some even less, so that was fun and awesome! Give us the sequel soon please!
Aertyn - Fluff Monster chapter 28 . 9/26/2016
This is, honestly, one of the best written stories I've ever read. (In any fandom, not just the Harry Potter one).

Even stayed up until 3am to finish reading it...whoops lol.
TheOldMasters chapter 28 . 9/16/2016
The story you've crafted here is pretty cool and unique. Your setup of the American wizarding nation is arguably more sensible than JKRCanon, as well as providing a strong answer to the question of why there was absolutely zero foreign assistance - or even interest - over Riddle's Insurrection.
Really, this point deserves to be empathized, because it is the only way I can imagine the US not getting involved, presuming that the US is majority compromised of descendants of European immigrants. The only other way I've managed to craft a storyline that fits is that the US's wizarding counterpart nation is actually predominantly Native American...which would severely shake up what the rest of the world would be expected to look like. But I digress - the US' unwitting isolation from Britain is the driving point of your story, as well as far and away the strongest part.
But your character interactions...they are way, way too happy-go-lucky. I don't mind being upbeat and having humor, but its not realistically grounded. Nobody should trust Ryan. Like, at ALL. George Weasley, of all people, should not be cheerfully inviting in some random dude to the place where he and Fred had reached the pinnacle of their dreams. The Weasley's in general would not be so openly willing to take him at his word, not so soon after the war anyway. Ryan should be similarly wary from his end, considering they're not even confident that Riddle's death caused his government to fall or not. And just because someone defeated Voldemort doesn't automatically mean the new victor is good either...
Another issue is how Blackstone is throwing about cheerful awe, taking everything at face value - he's a man who managed to secretly hide a military coup organization behind a bunch of old bookkeepers! It's not likely that he would be such a jovial and upbeat person, nor that he would accept anything without a lot of information and detailed analysis.
The Basilisk and the suspended-explosion embassy are both equally brilliant arcs in and of themselves, but the gold storyline came to an underwhelming close. Still, the search for the cowboy boot man and the missing money was done with excellent attention to detail - it felt far more 'investigative' than many authors manage to get across in 'mystery' stories. And the way you had them planning, executing, and following-up on their missions are equally well done.
You've got a strong story based on your own unique explanation, but to me you decided to do it in a more light-hearted, character-focused manner than I was expecting, considering these are two isolated/rookie governing powers suffering from incompetence/malignancy at the top levels of government for nearly 40 years trying to make contact in a unknown, potentially fast-changing environment. You've seemingly used your character's unrealistic trust and comradery as a way to wave away more realistic but far longer and complicated measures that would be needed, and that saps a lot of the potential power this story could have had confronting the damage done by Voldemort to both countries.
rjwizardusa chapter 28 . 9/16/2016
The story doesn't end after Chapter 28, although this novel does. The original idea that grabbed my brain and wouldn't let go included some adventures in the United States. I've got three chapters of that part written at this point. Should I post that part as the chapters are written, or wait until the second novel is finished?

It's been great fun to write, and I've tried hard to stay within the canon of the books. Most of it was written before Ms. Rowling published anything about the American wizarding world, so I had to think that out for myself. It's barely mentioned in the books. Where we differ...well, as an American, I think my version makes more sense. (Sorry, Ms. Rowling, but we could never have only one Wizarding School!) I wonder what readers think about that?

All the feedback has been delightful, and I'm VERY glad people are enjoying the story. Any comments, questions or criticisms are very welcome and will definitely help as I go forward. The American wizarding community obviously has it's problems, both home-grown and imported, and Harry and his friends are going to be needed...
Slaidback chapter 27 . 9/16/2016
Nice work so far. Loving the different angle of storytelling.