Reviews for Idiomatic
Secretive Chi X chapter 1 . 4/11/2023
I adore this clever explanation of the foreigner as a social role. It reminds me of how Poirot uses this to his advantage in Agatha Christie's novels, and also the theorist Homi Bhabha's explanations of mimicry and dominant cultures' need to have "foreigners" stand out.
bmcarson chapter 1 . 5/24/2022
Another television example of the Foreigner social role and idioms was Ziva in NCIS. Ziva always seemed to have trouble with idioms. However, at one point she was talking with another Israeli character who was misusing idioms and slang. Ziva kept correcting the other character. It made it pretty obvious that she actually really didn't know what was going on with the language.
morena.davidson.3 chapter 1 . 8/23/2021
I do appreciate fanfic for many reasons. One big one is to clean up inconsistencies, and things that got overlooked in the canon. Thanks for sharing this story. :) xo
Bere chapter 1 . 8/2/2020
Recientemente empecé a leer sus historias. Y es una experiencia muy gratificante, no solo ha logrado mantener la esencia de los personajes, usted también ha profundizado en la psicología de los mismos. Los hace más reales, enriquece la esencia, da un peso a sus historias al darles motivaciones y contexto. Gracias.
Sally chapter 1 . 8/2/2019
Cute story. I can see Kirk deciding to make use of Spock’s “misunderstandings” either on a mission, with Spock catching on of course, or just for fun on the Enterprise with the Crew, with Spock as his accomplice...or both.

When you feel up to those challenges, I sure will be first in line to read your fic!

God Bless you in your Illness! I too walk a similar path. Hugs and Prayers for your health!
Heather Snow chapter 1 . 12/5/2016
I like this very much. I've long believed that Spock understands a decent number of the idioms thrown his way. He's too smart not to be able to figure many of them out, even if he didn't have a human mother. In fact, I wrote a fanfic where Amanda points out to Spock how he pretends to not understand idiomatic speech.
lilidelafield chapter 1 . 9/18/2016
I am a big admirer of this show, but yours is the first fanfic I have ever read about it. ( I have been writing for other shows); I really enjoyed this little piece of yours, and I quite agree on all the points you raised in this story. There have been a few examples where star trek canon has contradicted itself between the original series, the films and the later spin-off shows, so well done creating a believable explanation for one of them.
cimmer chapter 1 . 9/13/2016
Excellent explanation and it also shows off Spock's dry sense of humor very well. I'm glad that Kirk in your story figured it out because really McCoy and Kirk would have made these logical connections. Thanks
Guest chapter 1 . 5/8/2016
Great insight into what makes Spock tick. ;) I totally agree with your logic.
Thanks for sharing.
Wish we really could be in McCoy's Sickbay. He'd know how to make us well!
jpenn93 chapter 1 . 4/4/2016
I liked this. It makes perfect sense!
LauraCynthia chapter 1 . 3/29/2016
Makes sense. I suspect he also does it for the following reason:

"I have made a keen study of the nuances of Human behavior. In my observations, I have found irritation to be particularly fascinating; its root causes, common occurrences, and methods for diffusing such. Nowhere could I encounter a more reliable and relatively safe environment in which to produce it for experimental purposes than in the person of Leonard McCoy."

"So Bones is your lab rat?"

"He shares no commonalities with rodents either bred in captivity for scientific purposes, but I would consider that an apt comparison."
HeronS chapter 1 . 3/29/2016
Thanks for a nice story! I'm from northern Europe, but I've lived in both the US and Japan, and I recognize doing so much of this. For me it was mostly explicitly questioning things that maybe I could guess at anyway, like customs and such. It reminded my friends that I had a different cultural context, it let me discuss things that they might have found embarrassing - and it also did something else that was important. It reminded me if my own identity and that there was a place, albeit far away, where I knew the rules and expectations. When you are constantly inundated with a new strange culture, it can become exhausting, and this behavior can be an anchor for you, reminding you of home.
Guest chapter 1 . 3/28/2016
Cute. (And logical.)
Scottea chapter 1 . 3/28/2016
Another great story from a gifted writer that entertains and enlightens as the same time.

Thanks for sharing.