Reviews for The Human War
Reader4stuff chapter 13 . 4/24
I love your story. Hope you continue writing.
Wow, this was a brutal first chapter. Pretty damned detailed too, great. Too bad it seems this was last updated long ago. Shame, seems promising.
ADeter chapter 5 . 4/17
Jesus fuck... Never played Xcom but I figured since I enjoy cross overs id read this ...its super fucked like excellent writing of course but this is worse than Halo casualties bad and it shows
taintedahab chapter 5 . 3/13
And at the velocities mass accelerates work at, kinetic impacts will be very much like having heavy explosives landing as the kinetic energy gets converted to thermal energy. At 3 km/s a kinetic will contain its equivalent energy of its own mass in tnt. You can expect naval mass drivers to be traveling considerably faster. A hit from one of the big dreadnaught guns will be very much like a nuclear strike.
taintedahab chapter 4 . 3/13
I think you misunderstand the sheer energy output of a nuke. The hard kill radius of a 10 kiloton bomb in vacuum is about 450 meters in which the energy density is about 22mj cm/3 mostly in the form of x rays and neutrons. This is enough to vaporize most metals faster than their conduction speed of sound. The resulting shockwave traveling through the metal will be enough to send spall flaking off the other side of the metal plate at supersonic speeds which would shred the inside of the spacecraft in addition to the general wreckage inflicted to the hull due to the sudden transfer of that much kinetic energy from the instantly ablated material.
taintedahab chapter 3 . 3/13
It’s gonna take a lot more than a quarter kilo of hydrogen to reach the megaton output.
Kagega chapter 13 . 2/27
Cool story shame it’s abandoned, not many good well written HFY stories that also have them as “evil” conquerors. Hopefully one day it’s continued.
MintIsMeth chapter 13 . 1/27
Now it's getting interesting! I look forward to seeing the peace settlement.
Axccel chapter 13 . 1/16
Figured out how to turn their fighters into relativistic torpedoes? I can see why this story died. That violates everything about Mass Effect as a setting. If they could do that, the Krogran and Rachni wouldn't have been a threat. At all. Besides that, the only way to achieve this is to lower their mass to such a point that it is INCAPABLE of transferring energy into a target and has little to no energy at all in itself. This is because mass is required to store and transfer energy, the higher the mass the more energy is stored through motion and the more energy is delivered into the target.

Did you never wonder why ships in Mass Effect can go faster than light without every piece of debris they hit obliterating their ships?

What you wrote is impossible by real life science AND by Mass Effect's own setting.
Chaosredshift chapter 13 . 12/19/2021
Excellent story. I enjoy the detail in fleet maneuvers and fortification of cities. Gave it almost a futuristic Stalingrad feel.
-I can see a jumpy scout firing upon what they could assume being another ethereal ship class, especially with psionics being a thing. They got T-boned by the aquatic race after all.
-I enjoy the flipping perspectives to both sides of the field, and seeing the evolution of attack and defense technology. The Ablative Ceramics is an adaptation US used on their tanks after encountering a specific kind of ied.
-It's amusing to see bureaucratic quagmires actively choking a council from a previous generation.
-You definitely give a feel of overwhelmed, but not untouchable. 2 tech evolutions hardened in 2 different forges, and you can see how the Reapers keep civilization's tech on the softer side.
-I'm assuming the Ethereals are aware of the Reaper hunting grounds, thus why they avoid being on the network? That's the insinuation I picked up.

I hope you one day return to this story, it's rather high quality, and surprisingly under-appreciated. Reminds me, in some ways, of an aggressive Ender's Game.
Guest chapter 3 . 11/15/2021
Sorry but this îs kinda bullshit. Hey these ships we have never seen before are trying to communicate with us. Kill em they must be collaborators of the enemy. Wtf that's some idiotic leap in logic.
Guest chapter 7 . 11/13/2021
Jedyne co się liczy to przetrwanie rasy ludzkiej. Wszystko inne jest drugorzędne. Czytając inne recenzje tego rozdziału jestem obrzydzony i przerażony jak wielu tu jest zdrajców. Autorowi zaś składam gratulacje, w końcu fikcja która odbiega od kanonu.
Worldmaker chapter 3 . 7/21/2021
"Junior Rear Admiral" is a redundancy. "Rear Admiral" is already the lowest rank you can hold as an admiral. Saying "Junior Rear Admiral" is a bit like saying "Assistant Assistant Manager."
Gnormann chapter 13 . 6/8/2021
Too many one shot povs and then the weird focus on zaeed when he doesn’t affect the storyline at all is too much. Best to cut him out and spin up a side story with his POVs.
grantmoxham chapter 1 . 6/5/2021
ehhhhh...
the writing is pretty good, but really, the entire thing is pretty badly flawed at a basic level-
it reads like its leading up to a "humanity was an Ethereal empire puppet state all alooooooooong!" not-twist, because, that's..essentially what it feels like- an Ethereal slave/client species going on a rampage through citadel space hyper murderrapeburning everything in its way. *shrugs*
or from the perspective of my X-com commander self, it reads like a story where humanity "won" by essentially becoming their enemy- this feels like a version of humanity that, to be blunt, deserved to die in the invasion, because their souls are long gone.