Reviews for The Human War
timedraven117 chapter 13 . 10/11
I'm quite hopeful for a continuation of this story. Since we're getting to the really juicy political parts where Humanity unveils itself in full for all to see.

So I'm hopeful for an (Eventual) continuation.
tmthesaurus chapter 1 . 10/9
Congratulations, your story was so bad it made me rethink the value of XCOM x Mass Effect stories in general. It's onanistic imperialist propaganda with a sci-fi wrapping to make it easier to swallow. I'm torn between giving you some advice to improve your writing (the prologue, for example, adds very little considering its length and should probably be shortened if not excised entirely) and recommending that you make the world a better place by never touching a keyboard again.
TheBronzeLine chapter 11 . 9/30
Lol Saren getting the Shepard treatment
TheBronzeLine chapter 2 . 9/29
Normally I skip timelines, but seeing as how I'm new to XCOM I decided it would be a good idea. It wasn't a good idea. It was a great decision.
Vanessa Masters chapter 9 . 9/9
Start transmitting the surrender signal immediately. The inbound relay is about two light hours away, so they will be able to see us long before we see them. We need to hail them before they decide we're hostile and open fire!"

"Understood... Ahem! Attention alien craft, this is the Quarian Liveship Rayya, transmitting on behalf of the Quarian people. We surrender. I repeat, the Quarian Migrant Fleet surrenders immediately." The officer shook his head as he finished, before setting the message to repeat on all frequencies in every major Citadel language. Now, they just had to wait for a reply.

"Sir, we're picking up a signal being transmitted on multiple frequencies from the alien armada... It seems to be aimed at us." The communications officer of the XCS Tranquilitas reported.

"That's strange. Run it through our translator, it might be something useful. If not, prep the ships for micro-jump and order them to target the alien battleships first." Junior Rear Admiral Will McTavish ordered, and the officer obeyed. The hologram of the ship's Assistant, D291-90191A, better known as Dee, shimmered into being a moment later. It was silent for a few minutes before it finally made its report.

"Much of the message is untranslateable, but analysis shows that this is due to it being repeated in multiple different languages, of which our reverse-engineered program only recognizes one. Playing translated portion to you now, leaving proper nouns as they were."

"Attention alien vessel, this is the Quarii generation-ship Rayya, transmitting on behalf of all Quarii citizens. We surrender. Repeating: The Quarii migrant fleet surrenders immediately."

"What the hell? They're surrendering?" Will couldn't help but exclaim.

"Are you sure it's not a translation error?" His XO asked.

"I am running the latest translation programs derived directly from captured alien translation devices. If there is any translation error, it would have to have originated in the captured devices." The Assistant replied.

"But... Aliens don't surrender! It's practically a fucking law of nature!" Will shouted.

"Evidently these ones are different." The Assistant replied.

"Then what the hell are we supposed to do? They didn't teach us stuff like this back in the academy!" The XO demanded.

"Well... I guess we will just have to accept the surrender. Dee, prepare a message to send back to them. We will accept their surrender, and will now perform a micro-FTL jump into visual range. Once there, we will launch a shuttle to pick up their dignitaries to discuss the terms of surrender. Inform them that any hostile action on their part will be met with lethal force. Oh, and contact Drescher. Inform her of our current circumstances."

"Understood, sir... Messages transmitted."

—-

Intriguing, I wonder how the humane react to learning about the Quarian and their history
Vanessa Masters chapter 7 . 9/9
Welll, they know they aren’t ethereal, but what they discussing...exterminating, or enslaving the Councik races, I know they want to take out the Ethereal, but they aren’t too far off from being like them.
Vanessa Masters chapter 6 . 9/9
"Excellent..." Drescher replied, her focus never leaving the system holomap. Something was wrong, she mused. This was too easy. No Ethereal fleet would have been torn apart this quickly. Not even the Vipers, who had fought with a mix of outdated hand-me-down Ethereal tech and indigenously produced gear, had been so easily swept aside.

"Something's wrong. I can feel it." Her XO gave voice to her thoughts.

"I know, but until whatever it is makes itself known, all we can do is kill what we see. Status of the psi-amp?" Drescher asked

—-

They start to realize, if only they’d been this confused and wondered earlier.
Vanessa Masters chapter 5 . 9/9
"The forces in sectors 46 West and 04 East have been stalled out completely. As for the forces between them, we have fallen back and allowed them to advance as ordered. Once the aliens in 46 and 04 have been pushed back, we may commence envelopment and elimination." His adjutant reported.

"Good, good... When the envelopment begins, issue a request for prisoners. Something is odd about these aliens, and I want to know what it is." Williams ordered.

"What makes you think that?" The commander of armor asked.

"The fact that we're still alive. Now spread word that reinforcements arrive in three days. That should keep morale nice and high while we drive these aliens back into whatever lab they crawled out of!"

—-

Neither one truly aware of what the other is. If only they knew, and the humans had t attacked first.
Vanessa Masters chapter 3 . 9/9
Lord very bad first contact.
AbyssWatcher chapter 13 . 8/7
I hope you don't abandon this story, a very different humanity than usual(a good thing).I love how pragmatic the humans are in this. Hopefully you're just dealing with writer's block and not abandoning the story
Ghostdevil chapter 13 . 8/5
I hope to see this return eventually, its well written. A rarity in these parts.
Mark1 chapter 13 . 6/3
Humans...Xenophobic much? The humans HAVE become the Ethereals, soon a Turian version of X Com will arise and the humans will loose all their advantages.. Such a shame and such hate and fascist idealism...Heil H*** this fic is not to be recommended!
This story still alive?
RamenKnight chapter 13 . 5/11
Well, sad to have finished. It was quite enjoyable. Thanks for making.
RamenKnight chapter 12 . 5/11
Gah, anytime I read a well done news media section of a story my dislike of the new media grows. Or anytime I see them on tv swarming people, or being disrespectful, or getting away with BS because 'reporter'... I think the job is one that can do great good, but the people who do it sure seem to not be most of the time.