Reviews for The Human War
Wolfman217 chapter 1 . 10/27
Rereading this for like the 3rd time, and I just had a thought spawned by the 'every woman watching the parade was pregnant' bit and the 2 clones later on; from the latter we know they have cloning tech and therefore the capability to gestate a human outside of the womb and combined with the fact that practically speaking pregnancy is both very inefficient for their purposes and leaves the woman in question physically fragile and far less capable in combat and work, (not even mentioning the moral quandary of basically forcing women to be breeding machines) it makes far more sense to grow children in artificial wombs and then give them to the parent(s) who provided the genetic sample.

i.e. combine artificial wombs with light eugenics ('light' in that people are not excluded but if you you don't already have a opposite-sex partner then your genetic sample is matched with a good fit genetically) in that everyone is required to regularly donate sperm/eggs and a algorithm matches each a individuals sample with a best fit match and combines them twice (for each parent) and grows the resulting fertilized eggs in an artificial womb, then when the children are born they are given to the person who 'main' sample it was, so everyone is basically required to raise 2 children each per period (whatever this period is, i.e. every 5/10/15 years etc), people who are already in a couple obviously can choose to match with each other and have 4 children to raise at once (so it's still 2 each).

- sperm samples from someone is combined with a algorithmically matched eggs from someone else 4 times to produce 4 children grown in an artificial womb with 2 going to the father and 2 to the mother, with a couple able to bypass the matching bit and all 4 obviously given to the couple.

This would both be more effective for their purposes in terms of both quantity and quality and would fit them to a t in that it's ruthless, moral questionable, but incredibly effective. No more physical limitations imposed on women during pregnancy, a pregnant woman dying no longer costs 2 (or more if twins) lives, less chance of a child being lost during gestation and non couple children are matched so they are more likely to be healthy and capable AND it also makes genetic engineering a whole lot easier.

It also less morally repugnant then the current situation (as well as being more effective); though people are still required to have children, women are no longer required to get physically pregnant and both men and women aren't forced to be in a relationship or with someone they don't want to be with, they still have 2 children even if they are single and if they are gay/bi etc who their partner is doesn't matter because they still have 4 children as a couple.

There also the option of going above 2 or 4 i.e. say someone is willing to have 3, or a couple 5 or 6 kids, or a close knit community who are willing to raise loads together etc.

The only downside I can really see is that the building(s)/complex housing the genetic info and artificial wombs would be a vulnerability in that it presents a good target, though really even if it is lost they can just reseed another artificial womb complex.

Basically they're the human version of Kryptonian Genesis Chambers. Massive facilities to genetically engineer and grow human children created from genetic samples taken from every adult human.
Asgardian warrior chapter 13 . 10/22
CMON
N0-FX Regalia chapter 2 . 10/11
Fascinating to someone crossing over from only being familiar with Mass Effect universe!
this fic is dead isn't it?

why do i keep finding great stories that never finish

i'm actually sad now
I tried to finish it but you are a terrible writer no once did they look to see if they are ethereal you should quit writing
The-White-Spiral chapter 13 . 6/22
Well, I do hope you continue this fic one day!
I hate what you've turned us into, but I love that you've taken this path. Species wide PTSD leads to tunnel vision and cognitive dissonance, especially when combined with secret police and martial law. We don't get to read humanity as arseholes often enough.
nathanfromschool chapter 1 . 6/6
Go go XCom, more Genocide! Yay!
I hate this fic, in trying to beat the Ethreals humanity becomes no better than them and the tiurians will hate humans have much as humans have come to hate the Ethreals and might even join them to fight back
Kira-117 chapter 1 . 5/29
The amount of asari bashing is glorious XD
The Jolley Pirate chapter 13 . 4/30
This is one of the best fanfics have have read, hope it continues soon
Sundanze chapter 12 . 4/26
I think this is a great story. Read it Two times now, and have enjoyed it immensely. Love the differing PoV of Aliens and Humans, my only fear is that The Citadel races are so ingrained in Mass Effect technology that they should not really be able to innovate into the Human tech very much, Also Xcom would probably have a lot of safety protocols installed in their tech to avoid that.

Lastly I really hope You haven't abandoned this story. Would really love to see where it goes next or just how it moves forward.

All the best to you :)
Wolfman217 chapter 12 . 3/18
It's kind of annoying how quickly the Turians managed to advance, it doesn't make sense, in a couple of months they've deployed 2 entirely new weapon systems, 2 entirely new armour types, and a new stealth system. While the Humans haven't sorted out their interdiction problem, especially as that the only thing the humans had to try and develop.

Would have been better IMO in the Turians had clawed back the difference via innovative use (like the RKV's etc) and just starting to reverse engineer human tech than suddenly pulling 5 revolutionary techs out of their ass independent of anything learned from the superior human tech.

Can we get some numbers/ideas on Ships, Planets, Populations etc please? How big are the Humans compared to the various Citadel races? To the have a similar amount of planets and people to Asari/Salarians/Turians? More? Less?

Any plans for the Krogan? They'd be awesome shock troops for the Humans against the Ethereal's, and it wouldn't take much to get the loyalty of a large number of them, they're smashing the Salarians and the Turians which the Krogan will love, and if they develop a (partial, cuz normal Krogan birth rate is far to high to handle) cure for the genophage the Krogans would join them in droves.
pepejohn chapter 13 . 2/28
Good read! Wish it was active again. How do the ethereals fit in with the reapers though? Probably the only point of contention
orionastro chapter 4 . 2/27
stupid humanity , if war with the Etereals was not enought now war with the citadel , no sense at all
healao123 chapter 13 . 2/18