Reviews for A Strange Fate
TheRoadgoeseverOnAndOn chapter 1 . 3/27/2012
A great story. Very well written.
Werecat99 chapter 1 . 6/21/2004
Heh, I loved that. Very original and a thread I have never thought of before.

Good work.
Kate Lynn chapter 1 . 8/9/2003
Oh, nice. I haven't read LOTR fanfiction in awhile. Tightly written, and I love some of the imagery. The ring on the fish was a nice part. Overall, a really enjoyable ficlet. I love your writing. 8-)

-Kate
Tinni chapter 1 . 7/10/2003
I like this, very interesting.
Mouse chapter 1 . 5/31/2003
Hee! What a great little story! The funny part is that the Ring seems like such a character in itself- I can just imagine it floating away oh-so-smugly. _

Good stuff!
Chat Noir chapter 1 . 4/30/2003
_ This made me smile a very wide smile. I don't know, an unusual perspective, but somehow very funny. Maybe the little boy who has strictly no idea of what if going on has got something to do with that. Interesting, that this line even exists; it doesn't really *do* anything to the storyline, but somehow it's just there and it's funny... Good idea to have made a story out of it.
Evangilist chapter 1 . 3/22/2003
this story has absolutely rendered me speechless, oh man, yam, you are truly one of the greatest writer of fanfiction I have ever come across...

I can't believe you actually wrote this whole story just based on those few lines...manz..I seriously don't know what else to say but this one word, ""
Casey Toh chapter 1 . 3/20/2003
This is an interesting expansion of just a single sentence from the HoME. I like the idea of an eyewitness to that, and the madness that overtook the fish.
Thalia Weaver chapter 1 . 3/18/2003
Oh...strangely powerful, for such a short fic. I love the effect of the Ring on the fish- shown in such a context, the evil of the Ring is made even clearer (there's no "Oh, he/she was evil anyway, it wasn't the Ring's fault" as with, say, Gollum). Very nice!

-Thalia
Carden chapter 1 . 2/16/2003
Hi! I'm back again!

I like your little ficlet about the fish and the ring. Neat! Was this before Smeagol found the Ring in the river?

Thanks for reviewing my story!
Ainaechoiriel chapter 1 . 1/24/2003
Well, no. Fish are animate objects. But not much for POVs. ;-)

That English isn't your first language shows a bit here in your choice of words. "River velocity" could simply be "current", for example.

But overall, you did a fine job with so obscure an account. I wonder at the ring floating, but hey, it's a magic ring. Keep writing!
marnie chapter 1 . 1/21/2003
This is a bit of ringlore I wasn't familiar with before - so thanks for that. It's very fairytale, isn't it; the boy discovering the Ring of Power in a fish. I think you've got the bones of a good story here, but that at the moment it needs a bit more context.

It would help if we knew where along the Anduin this was, who the boy was (name and where he comes from), and maybe give him a personal stake in this. Was he fishing? Would he have eaten the fish if it hadn't been so mad? Did he have any idea of the terrible doom which had passed him by? etc

I'd also say that some of the scientific vocabulary was a bit jarring - words like 'velocity', 'refraction' and 'invertebrate' are all very modern words which sound out of place in Tolkien's world

On the whole, a bit like the Maedhros thing - what you have is very good, but it needs a bit more of a plot to be considered a story.

Marnie :-)
Padawan Nik-ka chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
o_O ... Your an evil fish killer! It's a real original piece! I've never read something like that... *giggles* poor fish. Have you heard Shubert's The Trout? It sound really happy and stuff, but if your translate the german words it actually tells of a fish, a trout, that swam upstream but got too tired it died... Haha. You've got great descibtion power! Got the visual (if you know what i mean) Haha, keep up the good work! :P and don't kill anymore fishes! If you want to kill something kill FRODO! Die FRODO die! And maybe Boromir... Oh yeah... he's dead already... haha
Phantom Poet chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
I confess...I enjoyed that passage.
Adrienne-the-barbarian chapter 1 . 1/20/2003
Dude, that story (the passage)is so quirky and weird. *stares* Y'know, the idea itself is almost funny- a fish ate the One Ring; hah! When you think about it, though, it's really quite sinister and creepy, and you've done a good job of getting that across. Poor fish! O_o