Reviews for Signs of Life
Anonymous chapter 9 . 8/9/2013
Wow, I am at a loss for words. This story is just breath taking, I came close to crying at some points, and that takes a lot. I read through it several times, and I have to say it is much better in my opinion if you take the time to fully wrap up the story and show how everything turns out. Well done for an amazing story.
Mary chapter 9 . 10/29/2010
You did great. Yourwriting gained momentum with each chapter. The trauma emotionally was so well described as to be could empathise with Trip's desolation and hopelessness. Interesting that it was T'Pol who was able to break through his barriers, but not till she apologized and absolved him of his own guilt. A great piece of human adversity and the benefits of friendship, eeven or especially Vulcan friendship.
nebbyJen chapter 9 . 4/20/2006
Excellent fic! Definitely instense and the ending was awesome. Just the right amount of emotion without the mush.
Ocean chapter 9 . 8/1/2004
Just found this story and it was absolutely brilliant. I loved every minute of it and will definitely read it again. Poor Trip I could almost feel his pain. Thank you for a wonderful read.
denee chapter 9 . 9/21/2003
Excellent story
denee chapter 9 . 9/21/2003
Excellent story
SpaceCowboy chapter 9 . 3/31/2003
Nice apology at the begining. Very T'Pol. Very Vulcan.

But I have to agree with myself. I think it could have ended a little earlier. Very good writing though. And I liked the ending. In a way, I think a little something else might have cheered up Trip though. I could almost imagine Archer pointing out damage to Enterprise- something to get Trip excited in his own little warped, engineering kinda way.

SpaceCowboy chapter 8 . 3/31/2003
Hmm, well, I'm thinking anything other than fruit would have been his choice. Well, that or the scrambled eggs. This is just the nitpicker in me speaking. Fruit has a lot of acid. Probably would not have gone down that easily. Also, Hoshi may be a friend, but she is still just an ensign and Trip is a commander. The likelyhood of her inviting herself to breakfast was a little off. But I really liked how you played off her ignorance of Trip's true feelings- how she was so excited, when clearing Trip was harbouring dark resentment.

Okay, side note here... Eating? I have a tendancy to write eating, or more to the point- not eating, into my stories. Hm. Why do we love to hurt the ones we love? Hehe.

"I guess I didn't think they were all that funny." Very poignant line. Sometimes one quote in a movie/show/song can make a huge impression. I think this is the one for this story.

One more chapter to go,

SpaceCowboy chapter 7 . 3/31/2003
Well of course I'm going to read on, but I have to just mention that, it probably could have ended somewhere in this chapter. I love a good Trip angst, but sometimes too much can clutter. A lot of stories on this site are just scenes evolved from someone's angst- and that's all they usually end up being, nothing more than a big single scene.

I don't really see this with yours, but I hope it doesn't come about in the next few chapters. But again, you have written this so well!

And don't get this wrong, I'm in no way suggesting plagarism, but if you read my story 'Testament of the Spirit', you may be surprised. I see quite a few, shall we say ideas, that are similar. Like I said, it's not plagarism on my mind. It's more of a Tripasism- Trip minds think alike. Hehe.

SpaceCowboy chapter 3 . 3/31/2003
Oksy, taking a break to write a review. Still as amazing as noted earlier. Just a thought though, wouldn't the 'aliens' have taken Trip's equipment as well? Seems odd they'd only want the alien, not the technology.

Great story, and yes, I will keep reading.

SpaceCowboy chapter 1 . 3/31/2003
Excellent story. You haven't disappointed me at all. To say you are a good writer is underestimating your talent. I'd have to say you have a very professional way of writing. You don't overstate things, and you allow your audience to have a brain.

Aside from the hiding under a tree during a thunder storm, there were many parts that I really loved. Honestly, we know now that's the worst place to hide, especially with lightening. Albeit, I don't know what the rest of the landscape looks like- no caves, structures or what have you, so they may have just gone to the trees for necessity.

I had a problem with the line leading to 'coma and death' at first, but the next line appeased me greatly. It was a Vulcan joke, of a sorts. I laughed. It turned out to be a good line. Along with that, I hated when Archer said pretty much the same thing in 'Desert Crossing' as well. It just seemed too dramatic, and being in the medical field myself, it just didn't seem to fit.

Anycrap, I also loved the line; Yeah, well, I have my moments. I could hear Trip saying that. And T'Pol's line; ...reach that point on your own. That was priceless!

But a good example of your excellent writing is the part around the quote from Abe or Mark. The quote concerned one not speaking, and then Trip was left speachless. That was very well done. Not overstated, and you let the reader read between the lines.

Now, I just have one small question. I've only seen maybe 1/3 of the first season since I started watching ENT a little late. So, I have no idea what the rock people reference was. Can ya help a dude out with this one? This is just a personal request, and has nothing to do with the story.

Well, gonna go read the next chapter.

sublevel27rm108 chapter 9 . 3/13/2003
This story is purely amazing. It's one of the best I've ever read on this site. The characters, the ones you made up, were so real and literally full of life. I actually felt a pain snagging at my heart when I read this. The ending was perfect. Half of the story were the angsty parts, and the other half was the heartbreaking mental torture that Trip had to deal with. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.

maraschino chapter 1 . 2/24/2003
Great story. I really enjoyed it.
pookha chapter 1 . 2/21/2003
Wonderful ending to a very thoughtful story.

The only thing i wish there was an epilog to see how he was doing a month or so in the future.

he would be vastly improved but still dealing with some of the effects i guess.

you caught the characters well.

I can see mal and hoshi being like that.

They would never hurt him on purpose but they both get dense when around trip at times.

Mal especially has been though so much trauma and probably had problems dealing with seeing Trip hurt so bad .. well I could just see him doing that and being appalled later that he said that.

Both Mal and Hoshi look up to trip as a big brother centered type and just have trouble dealing with him being so hurt.

So they sorta block it out..

sorry if I am rambling

I also liked how you did Jon .. how when he saw what was happening and chased after him.

The chapter at the end with T'pol was good.. very in character. I like how she handled it.

Gave her apology and then gave him back a little control by letting him decide when he was ready to accept it.

And then she told him something he knew but needed to hear from someone else..

""The captain never lost hope that we would find you. He was willing to risk his own life in an attempt to infiltrate the alien society to find you. And despite his comments tonight, Lieutenant Reed would have gladly joined him."

and then the words he most needed to hear..

""It was not your fault,"

nice touch in the first day of his true recovery becoming a new day one..

thank you..