Reviews for Playing Against Type
ldybugdsigns chapter 3 . 12/19/2019
This was great! Chopper was written wonderfully and very entertaining. The code text confused me at first but then I figured out what you were doing with it and it rolled quite nicely. You had me up until midichlorians...don't you know we all pretend that doesn't really exist in canon? ;) . It's a good concern though if you are keeping them within the story. I like Hera's growth in this story. It felt reminiscent of the episode she went back to get her Kalikori (sp?) kind of hapless and unplanned. She and Kanan are an excellent team, as we all know, and this showcased an interesting flip in roles. Very nice read!
ldybugdsigns chapter 1 . 12/19/2019
so much love for this fic so far. I never got to watch rebels live...only just recently on DisneyPlus so I am in a fanfic obsession mode. Writing some of my own in between reading others' far superior writings. I wanted to single out some lines from this that struck me but it would take awhile. Suffice it to say, I am enjoying your writing style and wording. Can't wait to keep reading...
Amalthia chapter 3 . 8/20/2019
I had a blast reading your story! I loved the character voices, plot, and pacing. I was on the edge of my seat more than once.
TortoisetheStoryteller chapter 3 . 3/30/2017
Awesome story! You did a very good job with the interpersonal dynamics here.
Guest chapter 2 . 7/26/2016
Oh Kanan...how on earth do you manage to get into this much trouble? He's gone above and beyond the call of duty playing the slave role in this fic! As disgusting as it is for him, you wrote how he'd never let Hera get into a similar situation and that suits his character to a tee. The fact that he is incredibly good-looking and charming no matter what he wears is definitely a distraction!

You did a good job setting up the conflict between Hera, who wants to free everyone at once, and Kanan, who wants to help just as much but realizes they have to think long-term in the project. They both have good intentions but it doesn't always lead to the most effective actions. And meanwhile, everything around them is going to hell. But both characters have had to think fast and act quickly in order to survive so you did a good job, especially with Hera acting as the "no-nonsense" businesswoman over dinner.
Kgirl1 chapter 3 . 7/10/2016
Loved this. You write these two so well- and Chopper, too! It was just great from start to finish. I loved how protective Kanan was of Hera, willing to undergo all kinds of indignities for her. I think this is a great interpretation of what their relationship would be like after a year! So well done!
waiting4morning chapter 3 . 6/21/2016
Another excellently written story. Well done!
Hrive1 chapter 3 . 6/8/2016
Great fic! - kind of hard on my heart, with all the slavery stuff, but that's what the galaxy is like, I suppose. The deliberate kind of role-reversal works very well, and in the end they see why they have the roles they usually do. Hey, his plan wasn't -so- bad :)
Guest chapter 1 . 5/14/2016
Beautifully written and a very engaging and thoughtful plot. I can't wait to read more of your rebels fics, thank you for your wonderful writing!
BurnThoseEyesBlue chapter 3 . 5/12/2016
I LOVED this fic! Your characterizations are on point, and you just write them so /well/. I haven't read that many Rebels fics yet, but this is one I will definitely be coming back to in the future!
Sabretooth Ladybird chapter 3 . 5/11/2016
I haven't left a comment on the last part, and it does deserve it so much! I enjoyed the ending, a lot! Actually, there is the best Chopper I've ever read, and drugged crazy Kanan with The One Objective to rule them all is absolutely great.
And the town drunk strategy was just chilling.
And I love this story with all my sabretooth heart.
Thanks a lot and I hope to read your next fic soon (the one you posted today is excellent too and I'll leave a comment on it hopefully).
Fern chapter 1 . 5/11/2016
I enjoyed this very much! The style feels completely in keeping with A New Dawn, but Kanan's matured/grown closer to the character we see in the show, which is nice. Also the plot is super fun. I loved Kanan drugged out of his mind but rushing to Hera's rescue. I also liked the scene where she brushes his hair. I'll definitely be checking out more of your work!
Sage of Wind Dragons chapter 3 . 5/5/2016
I did enjoy this ! a child half grown as a force sensitive,a young Man in the throws of the passion ... Kanan is fun!
now we just need some way to make a work around that Sabine is Obiwan and Bo katan kid... grief fueld passion ala its easier if I just say Pre Vizla? that's who it SHOUDL be...

but I do love it, because this isn't someone like Obiwan and Yoda who know and UNDERSTAND the full depth of the empire and know its vulnerabilities, and are grief struck and shattered with a bit of broken keeping with a plan that is ending them. because they UNDERSTAND their rival/equils and well.
its fun dealing with the smaller people and the litteral minuta of the emprie and how this all SUCKS.
course having the patience and foresight for Kanan to KNOW that the absolute best he can do is give Vader a head ache, and well! old man, if he works to much heart attack! muhahahaa.
must do reverse revenge a million flea bites to bring down the giant!

anyway I did like this, and its INTERESTING how Hera and folk make Twilek one of the big center of rebellion so its a constant grind fest and everything, that population is one of the bigger in the galaxy of course but... HUGE. and stuff. still organized and not wortht he effort to put someone competent but not flashy dramatic on the case! the bug bites to death!
anyway. good stuff! I'm sort of waiting for the Fulcrum was a JEDI and you diddnt tell me? or I diddnt know! and disgruntled but GETS IT and yeah.
also jedi bonds hostage! do what I want or ELSE.
springfieldbluebird chapter 3 . 5/4/2016
This was soooo much fun to read. You write Chopper so well! I'd read a fic from just his point of view alone if you were writing it. Also, I loved the way you had Hera learn something from the experience which explains how she behaves by the time of the show. I absolutely can't wait for your next posting.
Illuminati-4 chapter 3 . 5/4/2016
This is really really good. The wait for each chapter has been so worth it. I don't even feel like I waited that long for each chapter. They were filled with so much and each one gave me a lot to think about.
For example, I was thinking how Herald didn't quite realized how vulnerable Kanan is. Like his situation. Being a Jedi is a huge target and even though the Jedi may be extinct to some extent, people still know to keep a look out for them. It's sad that Kanab can't go to med centers confidently, fortunately he has the Force to help him out. It would be cool to see how much of a target that is and how in the beginning he had to hide everything about himself, to even make a new persona.
I also loved seeing this struggle for Hera between building this rebellion and helping everyone she sees. The slavery though really hit home so I don't really blame her for all this. That being said, I don't blame Kanan for the plan not working out. He had to work with what was given and Hera wasn't giving him much leeway. I hope that in the future she thinks a little more than just means to an end. Of course this is the beginning for her. She didn't really need to worry about someone else so totally understanding the bumps in the road.
I look forward to seeing more from you guys. Plural right? Haha I never remember.