Reviews for My Girl
Cre8ivelybankrupt87 chapter 1 . 4/18/2019
I do love reading these pre-TJM fics now with the benefit of hindsight. It was clear Helga would play some role in the search for Arnold's parents, though I wouldn't have guessed it'd end up being as major as it was. In fact... rewatching The Journal, she has one tiny but really crucial line where she expresses her desire to "fill the void" within Arnold's heart... if they didn't have that bit with her locket and the Corazon in mind way back then, then that is the most masterful retcon I've ever seen.
Oh Arnold, so very slow when it comes to figuring out a girl's true feelings... but what boy isn't at his age I guess...
Helga's mean exterior may mostly be a facade, but I do think it's still absolutely part of her, she just eventually learns how to put it in check with Arnold's help. And that really is a big part of why they're a perfect fit for one another, they really are kind of this perfect Yin and Yang that need each other and complete one another.
That's a big reason Arnold and Lila don't work. They're both very nice people, but the show always very cleverly showed that they just had absolutely zero chemistry as partners, whereas Helga and he quite often demonstrated that they did in spite of their feuding.
HA! I haven't even read this and of course I went for the same breakup scenario in my own story... but I guess how could their breakup be anything amiable on the surface? Oh wow... and I was even planning on doing an airport farewell scene too at one point, but I decided against it. I still like that idea though.
Glad they went to college together too, though I could see Helga turning down Yale or some such place just to go wherever Arnold went. Or who knows, maybe he turns out to be a super genius too.
And now I have My Girl stuck in my head. Well done. :)
Ajay435 chapter 1 . 4/20/2018
This was so cute! Nice choice of song :).

Love how Arnold acknowledges that Helga is the first time he's appreciated a girl for more than just what's on the surface, and the idea of them balancing out the other's failings is spot-on. And I appreciate any fic where they get their happy ever after XD.
Wordylady87 chapter 1 . 1/29/2018
Great job here! Really cute analysis, overall well written fic and I love the song. You've managed to bring so much to light in terms of Arnold's feelings for his long time love.
DetectiveMinerva chapter 1 . 8/5/2017
Too cute! You touched on many of the points we have discussed, including Arnold's previous crushes being for only superficial reasons. I agree that he would have eventually come to realize that you can't judge a book by its cover, and that you have to do a little digging to get to the precious diamond that lies beneath a rough surface. Helga is definitely a diamond in the rough, and Arnold is really the only person who can see that - he probably also knows that her parents don't know what a treasure they have in Helga. Also, a sweet appearance can hide either a shallow, self-absorbed person (like Ruth) or an airhead who just wants everything to be perfect because they can't deal with reality (Lila). Helga's gruffness hides her real inner sweetness, which Arnold has indeed come to realize in this story - and, hopefully, in the upcoming Jungle Movie! Great work as always, my soul sister!
Forever in my Life chapter 1 . 3/27/2017
Very sweet
Inudaughter Returns chapter 1 . 8/10/2016
Aw, this makes me giddy. So sweet.
xPinkamenaPiex chapter 1 . 5/12/2016
This is so sweet! I love the way Arnold describes Helga, you can tell he really cares for her. Great work!
pinkdolphin92 chapter 1 . 4/30/2016
this is really cute good job
starfiction123 chapter 1 . 4/29/2016
OH MY GOSH! SHE MAKES A TRIUMPHANT RETURN! I'm sorry...You don't know me but I was kind of an in the closet fan of yours until I started writing my own HA story! It's so nice to finally review your work! And so nice to see that you still got it! I loved your stories and HA essays because they are so in depth and really show your HA knowledge and perks of our top ship so wonderful job! And yes we're so excited that after all these years...a miracle is happening and we're getting the movie after all! So it's good to have u back! Great job on this!
llazo4108824 chapter 1 . 4/29/2016
Ah this is so cute of them to together in this fanfic and it also sweet to.
Writer25 chapter 1 . 4/29/2016
This was really nice to read.