Reviews for The Blind Windows
RavenLady not logged in chapter 3 . 4/9/2005
I reviewed this before, but just wanted to say that after having read several other Feanorian-return-from-Mandos type stories, I've found nothing this convincing and realistic. Once again, I'm quite impressed.
Nessa Ar-Feiniel chapter 3 . 1/15/2005
interesting
RavenLady chapter 3 . 2/19/2004
This is amazing . . . right from the beginning it was wonderfully chilling and descriptive, and the "jumping" scene and the childhood flashback were especially striking. The way the Feanorians are forgotten/ignored in Tirion is very powerful and tragic, and I love the conversation between Curufin and Maglor and what Maglor said about the paintings as "my judgement, my ghosts, the ones who watch over my sleep." I like the connection between Curufin and Maglor, as artists and brothers, that is so often overlooked.
Cirdan chapter 3 . 1/28/2003
Ah, and the best for last. Random cool points for including frescos. :b I like the way Maglor and Curufin act like brothers. A lot of times, they're just characters interacting, but here, you really get a sense that they are family, despite everything that has happened to them. The bit about the one chair and sitting on the table probably added to that brotherly touch for me. That and the banter and most random, off-the-wall comments that they make. Very sibling-like. Caranthir lost. Bwahahaha!

And yes, I suppose Curufin would be the last one (if not Maedhros). I like hearing about what's become of all the brothers. I also like Maglor's bit about Aurel, "nice lad, can't remember his name." :b And I like Curufin's desire to return _home_, to the home they knew.

Well, I wonder what you'd do with Feanor's return then if you ever picked it up. But I like the mild, odd, and yet close meeting between Maglor and Curufin. Very touching.
Cirdan chapter 2 . 1/28/2003
Aw, Curufin's a cute kid even if he is a hard one to handle. I suppose he'd be impossible to deal with unless one understood his odd little state of mind. At least Maedhros tries, but even from that little bit, I get the feeling they aren't on the same wavelength.

Why am I not surprised he's such an odd Reborn one? :b
Cirdan chapter 1 . 1/28/2003
A strong start. A very poignant start at that. I like the disassociated voice you used here. Curufin is very much himself.
Suzine chapter 3 . 1/23/2003
You make me sad , You make me sigh , You make me want to bang the Valar's heads against the nearest brick wall .

By no means a "happy ending" - but very realistic . Indeed , what is life without challenge , without struggle? Stagnation . And of course the Valar still fear the fire ...

I wonder though - what about Elrond ? Maglor seems so alone ... from all of Feanor's sons he got the worse - at least the others get to share their lives with someone .

Beautiful story .
Finch chapter 1 . 1/23/2003
This one left me rather drained - but your Curufin tends to have that effect on me; something to do with the contrast between the intensity of your writing and the "emptiness" of the character. Despite Curufin's release, I didn't really get the feeling he was free of the past, but I guess that was your intention.

IMO the second chapter was the best, with its suggestion of estrangement and non-belonging. But on second reading, the conversation between Maglor and Curufin in the third chapter gained a lot of significance; I see the connection now between the two most artistic of Feanor's sons. And despite the sense that the past is irreparable, there is some hope.

BTW, eh, 'You are late' - is this a reference to TTT, or am I reading too much in it?
Maeve Riannon chapter 3 . 1/23/2003
A very well drawn exchange.. I enjoyed a lot of things in their conversation. the explanation of how the Darkness was like, the notion of the House of Fire being dead and Curufin trying to revive it (he hasnt lost his ambition!), that of Aurel having left Maglor...And the possibility of FĂ©anor returning is laid open, I see. Good!
Maeve Riannon chapter 2 . 1/23/2003
Its great, the way you describe Curufins return to life, and how he isnt healed yet. Haunted by horrible memories , walking dead...oh, a gorgeus picture of Curufin. Im enjoying it!