Reviews for Hadrian Lannister Lion of the Rock
E3roa chapter 40 . 1/26
i personally taught it was a great idea for Ice to split into Oathkeeper and Widows weep.
Ned had hoped the colder Northern winds comforted him as he and Jeyne Poole have ridden back home to Winterfell. The loneliness of their small party was a sobering reminder of the events which have befallen them since they had left home nearly a year ago. He, his only two daughters, Sansa and Arya and a large party of the other men had gone to King's Landing, but now he had ridden home alone except for his dead steward, Lord Vayon Poole's orphaned daughter, Jeyne Poole. All of his men were dead, but his younger daughter, Arya was at Casterly Rock, being taught the gods know what, whereas, his elder daughter, Sansa was being banished to the Reach to marry a gay man who even preferred the company of the other men. Ned only kept calm through a complicated struggle as he and Jeyne came into sight of Winterfell, his heart was comforted by the somewhat grim looking castle. Despite everything that had happened, he could take comfort from the simple fact that he was home.

He and his companion have ridden through the open gates to see the newly promoted Archmaester Luwin standing there as he waited for him. Luwin noticed the fact that none of his family were here but he (Luwin) soon revealed the reason for that.

"My Lord, welcome home. We were not expecting you so soon and with such a depleted party." Luwin greeted Ned as he'd seen him and Jeyne Poole arriving. The reminder of how many people he had lost in King's Landing quickly banished what warmth Ned could draw from being back home. His face remained stern as he told Luwin for his family to meet him in his solar and that Jeyne Poole was to have her own room made ready for her. A maid took the orphaned girl who remained silent for the majority of their trip home away. He was deeply worried about the orphaned girl who seemed to be withdrawing into herself. Which had taken a great deal of effort to get her to show interest in anything and he had to be quite stern in his reminders for her to eat and drink. Perhaps he had written to Bear Island and gotten Dacey Mormont or one of GreatJon Umber's daughters to come to Winterfell to try to help her if they could. He didn't know if it'd work but it was worth a try to see if they could aid Young Lady Poole in her grief rather than let her waste away. Luwin told him as they walked.

"We have received ravens from both Lord Stannis and Lord Renly. They have both named themselves kings and they're (they are) calling for your support."

"Burn those letters, Luwin. The North is having no part in this southern war, we are neutral which is my only word on the matter." he (Luwin) allowed himself to raise his (Luwin's) eyebrow in surprise at the statement but he (Luwin) didn't question his (Luwin's) lord. He had known him since he was a boy and he recognized that tone. Which wasn't heard often but it was the voice Ned had when he was so set on something that nothing nor no-one was going to stop him. Whatever happened in King's Landing had obviously affected his lord deeply and Luwin had wisely chosen not to mention it.

As they passed several of the previously abandoned towers, Ned noticed that Luwin's copies of the Citadel library had arrived which also counted as the Stark's copy of the library as each of the great houses was being entrusted with a copy to ensure the knowledge was protected for the future. The sheer quantity of books had quickly overwhelmed the existing library at Winterfell and they were using some of the abandoned towers to store them until they could find somewhere to permanently house them, but Ned put those thoughts aside as he entered the familiar corridors and rooms of the castle where he had been born. Coming to the solar, he hadn't set foot in for over a year, he sat in his chair and was somewhat relieved by its familiar feel and saw that one of the servants had the foresight to put a jug of fresh water there for him with a goblet. He had taken a grateful sip as he waited for the rest of his family to arrive with the exception of Rickon, the boy who was still too young for such things. Which didn't take long, Catelyn had burst into the room and she'd thrown herself into his arms when he stood up to meet her in person, she kissed him deeply. They were only broken from this by a lack of breath and Robb entered with Bran, the younger boy who was accompanied by his betrothed, Lyanna Mormont and Ser Brynden Tully. He thought for a moment about sending the lady from Bear Island and the knight from the Riverlands out, but he decided as they would undoubtedly squeeze what he was going to say out of Bran anyway and they were already or would one day be a part of his family so they should probably be a part of what he was about to tell them. Luwin excused himself and left the small group alone, Catelyn looked around for Sansa and Arya by expecting both of them to be here with him only to frown when she had seen neither of them (Sansa nor Arya). Robb had noticed his two younger sisters, Sansa and Arya's absences, too, but he (Robb) had spoken.

"Father, thank the Gods. I was about to call the banners when I heard you had been taken by the Lannisters. What happened down there?" he asked his father, the Northern lord who looked even grimmer than usual, told them.

"King Robert fatally passed on until the Queen had chosen to take power," he had spoken in as steady as he could manage. He explained Sansa's betrayal by revealing the fact that she (Sansa) told Cersei which happened afterwards. Robb, Ser Brynden, Bran and Lyanna looked stunned once they (Robb, Ser Brynden, Bran and Lyanna) heard about her (Sansa's) betrayal from Ned with pure shock in their (Robb's, Ser Brendan's, Bran's and Lyanna's) widened eyes, whereas, Catelyn only had grown angrier demandingly which meant she was incredibly ready to burst.

"She was tricked by a nasty bitch and you sent her away to High-garden?! She needs to be here…."

"She betrayed us, Cat," Ned tried to get through to his wife only what that meant. "Northern law has only two punishments for that; death or the Wall and given she is a girl the Wall is out so if she were to come home again, my vassals would demand her head not to mention the families of the men who fatally passed on. Sending her to High-garden was only one way to save her life," he (Ned) told her. Most Northern laws were from the time when the Starks had been Northern Kings and were set in stone. Punishments were harsh and unyielding just like the land around them. If he had tried to change that for the sake of his daughter, he'd (Ned would) be facing a full on revolt from some of the more diehard lords. Ser Brynden nodded sadly and tried to make Catelyn understand.

"It is for the best, Cat. Sansa might have been tricked but she still betrayed her own family and the North as a whole. The families of the men who fatally passed on, would want vengeance for their loved ones and the Northern lords would want her as an example. Not even a Stark is above the law. If Ned had brought her back, he'd lose their loyalty if he denied them. All it'd take is one of the rival claimants to the throne by offering and calling House Bolton lordship of the North and they'd rise in revolt and Ned wouldn't have the support of the other lords to stop them."

Robb agreed. He might carry Catelyn's looks but he was Ned's son through and through. There was a bigger picture here that Catelyn wasn't seeing the reason and he dearly missed his younger sister, Sansa, but he had known she'd be unable to come back home or else, she'd face the chopping block.

Bran and Lyanna looked unsettled, but Lyanna could understand Ned's reasons, too. She knew her own family had pretty firm ideas about honor and loyalty and even if they were one of the most loyal houses to House Stark, they'd think twice about support a house that flaunted the law when it suited them. By sending Sansa Stark away, it'd keep the lords satisfied that she'd been punished if unhappy since the Starks were true to their own honor, however, Lady Catelyn Tully didn't see it that way.

"She is our daughter, Ned! You are the Northern lord and they should follow where you lead, not cave you in like cravens when they start making demands!" Her face was red with fury and her words seemed to shake the walls with their intensities. Which was followed by the temperature in the room seemingly dropping several degrees as silence also had fallen with Robb, Ser Brynden, Bran and Lyanna all looking at Ned, the Northern lord whose face had gone from its tired, grim mask to one of rage and without warning, he responded with a tirade of his own.

"I have allowed Septa Mordane here which I never should've at all! This is the North, we worship the Old Gods here at Winterfell, but you and Septa Mordane filled Sansa's head with those ideas about what a good lady's supposed to do and act! Arya prefers to become her own free person and remain unmarried on her own free will as opposed to being compelled to marry a lord or a prince against her own free will because of the fact that you expected her to be like you and Sansa instead of permitting her to be only true to herself which would cost her freedom! You filled Sansa's head with those nonexistent tales of love and honor by giving her dreams which blinded her to the truth about reality of the real world! And I allowed that when I should have made sure Sansa understood the fact that family's the most important thing, the fact that loyalty to them's far more important than ideas of love and glory, but it's too late. She can never set foot here in the North again because if she does, she will get killed!" he told Catelyn angrier than anyone had ever heard from him before. None of them were no more shocked than Ned himself. He had never raised his voice to his wife before, but last year, all of its events had taken their toll on his patience.

Ned's words stunned Catelyn, they cut deep and she silently walked out of the room as she tried to wrap her head around them. As everyone else made their excuses to exit the room, Ned sat down and rested his head in his hands as he leaned against his desk. He doubted his marriage would ever be the same after today, those words have spoken in anger no matter how much he had never meant to say, it had opened the spouse (husband/wife) drama between himself and Catelyn. He was unsure if they could ever repair.

Meanwhile, Margaery was out in one of the gardens. She (Margaery) searched for her (Margaery's) soon to be future sister by law. No one saw Lord Stark's elder daughter, Sansa much since she (Sansa) and Willas arrived just past days ago. She (Margaery) only saw the girl briefly but despite the fact that she (Margaery) heard enough from Willas to know the girl must be suffering. To be exiled from her (Sansa's) own homeland because of one error of judgement seemed harsh but when Willas had explained about how strict Northern law was, Sansa realized that she (Sansa) was lucky to be spared from the fatal execution. However, if the girl was to be a Tyrell family member, someone should at least try to make her (Sansa) feel welcome.

She (Margaery) eventually found her (Sansa) in a grove near the bottom and the most secluded part of the gardens. The pale redhead who knelt in front of a blue flowered bed, hummed some strange tune which Margaery didn't recognize. She (Sansa) sensed her (Margaery's) presence before she'd gotten to her feet quickly.

"Lady Margaery, I'm sorry if my humming disturbed you," she (Sansa) apologized to her quietly with her (Sansa's) head bowed. Thus, she (Margaery) wouldn't see the tears which threatened to run down her (Sansa's) cheeks.

"I was hoping I can speak to you in person, especially since we are to be sisters by laws one day," Margaery smiled at the exiled Stark girl, the same banished younger girl who looked very much like a startled deer that was completely frozen. She (Margaery) guided her (Sansa) slowly by putting her (Margaery's) hand gently on Sansa's shoulder. "Do you like blue flowers?" she (Margaery) asked as she (Margaery) hoped to begin a conversation with her (Sansa), but she (Margaery) regretted it once she (Margaery) saw the tears in Sansa's eyes.

"They are beautiful at full bloom, however, they remind me of the winter roses back home in the North," she (Sansa) remembered mournfully. Margaery took one of her (Sansa's) hands and held it gently.

"Sansa, I know what happened in King's Landing, but it's not your fault," Margaery assured her (Sansa), however, she (Sansa) sadly insisted guiltily.

"It is, instead of just following my father's simple command, I went to tell the Queen what he (my father) was planning. That got him (my father) locked up in the Black Cells like he (my father) was a criminal, Lord Vayon Pole and our whole retinue killed and made my former best friend, Lady Jeyne Poole an orphan. What I did is treason and I pay the price. Marrying your brother, Ser Loras Tyrell is more than I deserve," she (Sansa) said, she (Sansa) knew she (Sansa) was unworthy of a knight now, let alone one of the great houses like the Tyrells.

"Sansa," Margaery prevented the exiled Stark girl from speaking anymore self-criticism. "Loras will respect you as long as you are loyal to him, you are a beautiful young woman who will blossom when you are ready like those winter roses," she (Margaery) assured her (Sansa) as she (Margery) saw the uncertain look on her (Sansa's) face, she (Margaery) added. "And as for what happened in King's Landing, you were outwitted by a far more devious woman than you were prepared for. Cersei just used you as a pawn against your own family, like your father, Sansa and I can teach you so it does not happen again. Like my grandmother taught me."

She (Sansa) was quiet for a moment as she (Sansa) absorbed Margaery's words. She (Sansa) heard Willas Tyrell speak on their journey of how clever and cunning his grandmother and sister were. If Margaery was serious in her desire to teach her, it'd mean that should she ever cross anymore paths with someone like Cersei in person again…she'd be ready for them. Her (Sansa's) mind was made up immediately and she (Sansa) said.

"Teach me."
Later, after Ned had returned to the tower to retrieve what was left of his belongings he had gone and tracked down Ice. Which seemed that Ser Ilyn Payne had taken a fancy to his family's ancestral sword and claimed it for his own, but Ned had swiftly retrieved his blade and was in the process of cleaning it to try to relax his mind which didn't do any good. He had always valued family above everything else, his wife and children meant the world to him and he wouldn't have traded the years, he had had with them for anything and he hoped for many more years yet to come and perhaps, even grandchildren if his children obliged him. Despite the fact that Jon wasn't his own son, he (Jon) was still included in his family and he'd protect the boy until death by telling no one the boy's true identity to keep him safe from those who'd kill him only for who his father had been.

However, what Sansa just did had shaken him (Ned) to the core. He doubted that she'd done it maliciously, but regardless of her motives, the damage was done which means he'd (he would) have to make sure Sansa understood the consequences. He (Ned) wasn't looking forward to what he (Ned) was going to have to say to his elder daughter but all too soon the time came as Sansa and the newly orphaned girl, Jeyne Poole both entered his room. Seeing that Ned was alright after everything happened, Sansa rushed over to eagerly throw herself into his (Ned's) arms, she (Sansa) cried with relief. He (Ned) held his own elder daughter but not as tightly as he (Ned) might've done a past week ago which made him feel terrible. He (Ned) worriedly looked at Jeyne Poole, the orphaned girl who stood at the door, the same orphaned girl whose tears formed her (Jeyne's) own eyes. He (Ned) was concerned about her (Jeyne) because this world was a terrible place for a young orphaned child (girl) like her (Jeyne) to be all alone in. However, Sansa regained his (Ned's) attention to tell him (Ned) how much she (Sansa) wanted to go back home to Winter-fell (the North) and forget everything that happened which was too much for Ned, the Northern lord who removed himself by breaking free from his (Ned's) own elder daughter much to her (Sansa's) surprise. Ned sternly glared at her (Sansa) which made her (Sansa) feel unsettled.

"You told the Queen that we were about to flee King's Landing by betraying us. Our entire retinue was wiped out because of what you've done behind my back, Lord Vayon's dead." Sansa's eyes widened before she'd shaken within horror at what he (Ned) had found out from Hadrian, the terrible realization gripped her.

There was a moment of silence as his words have sunken in, however, it was neither of them (Ned nor Sansa) who ended the silence, but instead, a scream of rage and grief had broken the silence of the room. Therefore, Sansa found herself being hit by her (Sansa's) enraged, orphaned ex-best friend, Jeyne Poole's fists. Once she (Jeyne) heard the fact that she (Sansa) sold her (Jeyne), their (Sansa's and Jeyne's) fathers, Lord Eddard and Lord Vayon and Winter-fell's other Northerners to Queen Cersei from him (Ned), she (Jeyne) screamed at her (Sansa) like an animal until Ned pulled her (Jeyne) off of her (Sansa). She (Jeyne) struggled for a moment before she (Jeyne) freely burst into tears after her (Jeyne's) anger collapsed, she (Jeyne) sobbed onto Lord Stark's shoulder, especially into his (Ned's) arms.

"They killed my father because of her (Sansa)!" As he (Ned) carefully wrapped the orphaned child who was filled with grief by holding her (Jeyne) to rub her (Jeyne's) shoulder, he (Ned) reassuringly told her (Jeyne) gently. "Do not worry, girl. I will make sure you are well cared for at Winterfell." He'd (Ned would) make Jeyne his (Ned's) ward because of Lord Vayon's loyal service and the fact that she (Jeyne) no longer had a family on her (Jeyne's) own in this world anymore thanks to her (Jeyne's) traitorous ex-best friend. He (Ned) regretfully turned to mournfully tell Sansa, the Stark girl who was suddenly distraught. "And you, you are guilty of treason. Under Northern law, death is only one punishment…. I cannot change that without angering all of our vassals. Which is only in the North. As long as you stay here in the Southern Neck, I have no choice but to opt for the lesser punishment of exile. Perhaps, I would try to find a place for you to live in the Riverlands with your uncle, Edmure or in the Vale with your aunt, Lysa, but you can never set foot in the North again. Otherwise, the Northern lords will kill you on sight." He (Ned) really loved her (Sansa), but unfortunately, denying her (Sansa) her (Sansa's) birth land was only one way to save her (Sansa's) life because if she (Sansa) ever returned back home to Winterfell, he'd (Ned would) probably face his (Ned's) own lords' ire if the truth about what she (Sansa) did came out, if they didn't execute her (Sansa), they'd have him (Ned) put her (Sansa) to death instead. However, his (Ned's) older daughter gave him (Ned) a look of utter desolation which made his (Ned's) heart shatter into a million irreparable pieces.

Sansa felt like her (Sansa's) whole world left her (Sansa) alone with terrible predators who live in a vast, empty wasteland, filled her (Sansa) with terror. Ned's words had cut deeper than any blade which filled her (Sansa) with total, absolute devastation as the full impact of what she (Sansa) did threatened to overwhelm her (Sansa). Her (Sansa's) real home, Winterfell, the one she (Sansa's) arrogantly dismissed, she (Sansa) assumed that it'd always be there for her (Sansa) was now beyond her (Sansa's) reach. The cold Northern winds but warm, loving atmosphere of her (Sansa's) family's home was now stripped from her (Sansa). Her (Sansa's) family would be so far away and she (Sansa) might never see them in person again…her (Sansa's) loving, caring mother, Catelyn Tully/Stark, the Southerner who soothed her (Sansa's) tears, told her (Sansa) such wonderful stories. Her (Sansa's) brothers, Robb, Bran and Rickon were all so full of life and mischief which secretly made her (Sansa's) laugh with their bad jokes. Her (Sansa's) pet dire-wolf, Lady was sent home to protect Winterfell after she (Sansa) foolishly lied to earn Joffrey's affection in front of everyone. With Ned's grim but loving aura that always made her (Sansa) feel safe and protected. All was lost now.

As her (Sansa's) own tears formed her (Sansa's) eyes, she (Sansa) felt Ned's warm hand grip hers (Sansa's) tightly and she (Sansa) held on for all she (Sansa) was worth, she (Sansa) was frightened that he'd (Ned would) be gone the moment that she (Sansa) let go.

The following morning after the secret meeting, Ned had bidden one of the most painful farewells that he (Ned) had ever bidden in his life when he (Ned) brought Sansa to meet Willas Tyrell in person so he (Ned) could take her (Sansa) to meet her (Sansa's) new betrothed, Ser Loras Tyrell in person. The tears stained Sansa's cheeks which had torn his (Ned's) heart out. He (Ned) wished he (Ned) could take her (Sansa) back home to Winterfell with him (Ned), however, it'd cost Sansa her (Sansa's) life if he (Ned) did. So he (Ned) pulled her (Sansa) into his (Ned's) arms and kissed her (Sansa's) forehead gently as her (Sansa's) arms wrapped around him (Ned). The pain he (Ned) felt was unbearable as he (Ned) held her (Sansa) in his (Ned's) arms for what could be the last time in a very long while. Sansa would be some man's wife when or if he saw her next. He'd (Ned would) always see her (Sansa) as his (Ned's) darling, small angel who'd make him (Ned) smile with her (Sansa's) pure innocence and joy. He (Ned) felt his (Ned's) own eyes teared up and he (Ned) hugged her (Sansa) closer.

Sansa was feeling more wretched than ever, too. Her (Sansa's) own stupidity and foolishness separated her (Sansa) from her (Sansa's) family forever. Never again would Winterfell's halls-fell be hers (Sansa's) to wander. Never again would she ever see her (Sansa's) siblings, brothers, Robb, Bran and Rickon, her (Sansa's) sister, Arya and her (Sansa's) half brother, Jon spar in the training yard, either, never again would she (Sansa) ever sit in her (Sansa's) rooms and sleep in her (Sansa's) own bed. Now she (Sansa) was being cast adrift in the large, brutal, cruel world which would swallow her (Sansa) up any moment.

"We will ride south to visit you, write to you as often as possible and I promise I will be there on your wedding day," Ned had sworn to her (Sansa) as he (Ned) lifted her (Sansa's) chin carefully so she'd (Sansa would) meet his (Ned's) gaze and her (Sansa's) tears made him (Ned) hate himself more.

"Father," Sansa said, tightening her (Sansa's) hold on him (Ned) as if to prevent him (Ned) from leaving her behind.

Ned embraced her (Sansa) in return. "I love you, my sweet wolf." Willas Tyrell and the small group of other Tyrell men who had accompanied him, all looked away from the uncomfortable scene which unfolded before them. They intruded on something very private between Ned and Sansa which seemed like an eternity before they finally parted ways with each other by dispersing at last and she (Sansa) reluctantly climbed onto the horse that had been provided for her (Sansa). With fresh tears ready to erupt any moment, she'd taken one last, final look at Ned before she (Sansa) started off down the road, Willas Tyrell, the heir who'd sworn on his honor to protect Sansa, accompanied her (Sansa). He (Willas) told Ned that his (Willas's) only sister, Margaery would be there to help her (Sansa) through this and his (Willas's) cousins would be there as her (Sansa's) new friends but that didn't at all reassure the Northern lord who only felt like the lowest creature in all of creation for sending Sansa away. As he (Ned) had ridden away back North, Jeyne Poole, the silent orphaned girl who accompanied him (Ned), never even bothered to bid her (Jeyne's) ex-best friend, Sansa goodbye. He (Ned) had known neither Catelyn nor their sons, Robb, Bran nor Rickon would ever forgive him.
Lord Stark rushed over towards the Tower of the Hand and his steward, Lord Vayon Poole and Septa Mordane were there. They both looked surprised at his abrupt entry but he wasted no time until he told them.

"Pack only what we need and ready the horses. We leave the capital as soon as possible." He was unprepared to tell them when they looked ready to ask him, however, a familiar voice at the door prevented him from doing this.

"Father?" He turned around to see Sansa standing there. She (Sansa) looked upset. "Why must we leave? I love it here. The Queen and Joffrey have been so kind to me." Ned had nearly begun to grit his teeth, not wishing to have to put up with this instantly, thus, he snapped at her (Sansa).

"Do as I command. We must leave immediately," he told her shortly until he had quickly packed continuously. Renly had already fled the Southern Capital and was no doubt on his way to High-garden or Storm's End to call his banners. He had no intention of being here when Joffrey had taken power since that boy had a sadistic streak as wide as the Narrow Sea. He wouldn't allow his daughter to become intertwined with monsters like him (Joffrey), but he (Ned) was so focused on getting out of the southern city.

Sansa's face screwed up in anger at Ned for treating her (Sansa) like a child. She (Sansa) just nearly shook angrily at the thought of it. She (Sansa) swiftly turned around to storm out of the Tower of the Hand/downstairs/outside towards the Southern Red Keep. If he (Ned) wouldn't explain himself to her (Sansa), then he'd (Ned would) have to explain himself to the Queen.

"Thank you, sweetling," Cersei properly appreciated her (Sansa) gratefully as she (Cersei) smiled at her (Sansa) kindly after Sansa Stark told her (Cersei) that Lord Stark was prepared to flee the capital. The Queen had taken the time to clean herself up and now she looked as radiant as ever at least in her (Cersei's) own mind. "I shall deal with the situation but do not fear, you will not have to leave the city. Now while I speak to your father, perhaps you and Joffrey should take a stroll around the gardens," she (Cersei) suggested and although he (Joffrey) had given her (Sansa) a look that told her (Sansa) that he could think of nothing more tedious, Sansa brightened considerably and held out her (Sansa's) arm for Joffrey, the Southern prince who had had taken it, led her (Sansa) away. After Sansa was out of sight, Cersei gritted her (Cersei's) teeth and Baelish, the man who had kept his (Baelish's) mouth shut at the back of the room, came forward.

"If Lord Stark returns back home to Winterfell, Your Grace, you will lose the North and getting it back would be how difficult the North is to invade," Baelish told her (Cersei) as his (Baelish's) scheming mind worked which satisfied him (Baelish). "I have brought eight hundred of the most vicious Mountain Clansmen from the Vale to serve at your side in exchange for gold. They are yours to command against whoever you decide. They will make everyone fear you, Your Grace." Starting a war with the North surely would result in Lord Stark's fatal death and if he was able to arrange a suitable end for Lysa, it would leave him as regent of the Vale and with Catelyn a widow, he would finally have the opportunity to make her his.

Afterwards, Cersei compiled a list of all the people she wanted dead here in the Southern Capital which was where they would be right now.

Back at the Tower of the Hand, Ned and his retinue had thrown whatever they needed into whatever boxes they could get their hands on and sent them to the outdoor carts. Ned looked around to make sure there was nothing more than needed to be packed until he wondered how much time they had to rush his daughter's room to make sure she was ready. When he had gotten there, he was astonished to find out the fact that Sansa was not there and nothing had been packed. Everything was exactly where it had been earlier today. As his daughter's absence worried him, he rushed out of the room when he was alerted by a scream from one of his guards, he rushed downstairs and came across a horrific sight…his unprepared men have been torn apart by Mountain Clansmen from the Vale. In the middle of packing to flee the southern capital, his men were completely unprepared for attack and unable to protect themselves against the vicious. Ned hadn't had time to think on why the clansmen were here until he was compelled to draw his sword, Ice and fight for his life.

Two of the Clansmen tried to double team him but despite the confined quarters, Ned was able to stand his ground against the two vicious but relatively unskilled savages and he easily dispatched them, however, four more piled on him, reigning down blows with their fists or battle axes. None of the axes hit, but he received a vicious blow to the head and managed to stay conscious only long enough to see Jeyne Poole, the newly orphaned girl who screamed, was dragged downstairs by a Clansman, followed by another Clansman who held Septa Mordane's and Lord Vayon Poole's severed heads.

At that moment, Sansa was locked up here in the Southern Red Keep room. She was completely obvious as to whatever was going on which somewhat scared her. Ned had yet to find her.

Earlier that day…

Sansa just finished her lovely walk through the gardens with Joffrey when he had led her to a disused room, he shoved her in, he locked the door from the other side. She banged on the door with confusion in her eyes, however, all she heard was Joffrey's laughter as he walked away. The room was bare, therefore, she had to lower herself to sit on the floor while she waited for someone to come let her out. She knew Joffrey liked to make fun of other people sometimes, however, she couldn't understand why her golden prince had done this to her. Which had been hours before the door was finally unlocked, she looked up, getting quickly to her feet until she brushed off the dust from her dress.

Present…

She felt slightly relieved to see Joffrey standing there when the door finally opened with a member of his Kingsguard, Ser Meryn Trant. She was about to smile at the sight of them, however, something stopped her after she'd seen the looks on their faces. There was something about the way they were smiling made her feel uneasy. She stayed wherever she was.

"My Prince. Is there something wrong?" she asked, not understanding/wondering why Joffrey had done this. His unsettling grin widened as he offered her his arm, he told her.

"I have something to show you." Therefore, she had to force herself to take it. She didn't know why, however, something about his touch which made her feel warm once, now she felt uncomfortable but she'd shaken herself, she tried to put these silly thoughts aside and walked at his side with her arm in his, all the same, she felt that something was wrong just kept nagging at the back of her mind regardless of how hard she worked to suppress it.

Soon, they approached the walls of the Southern Red Keep and Sansa nearly managed to convince herself that nothing was wrong, however, they walked up the steps on to the wall before Sansa stopped at what she'd seen with horror in her eyes.

Her beloved Septa Mordane's, her family's steward, Lord Vayon Poole's, all her family's guards' and servants' severed heads were mounted on the spikes since they've had brought here to King's Landing. She would've screamed if not for Joffrey's hand wrapping itself around her elbow so tightly, she winced.

"Quite the collection, do you not think?" Joffrey asked her as he looked extremely excited at the sight of the mutilated heads on display. However, Sansa was unable to reply and unsure what she would've said, even if she did. Suddenly, a horrible thought popped into Sansa's head and her eyes flittered from one mounted head to another before she realized the fact that Ned wasn't there with a small sense of relief, however, she was unable to take her eyes away from the gruesome display in front of her no matter how much she wanted to.

"Where is my father?" she asked desperately just for her to feel Meryn's hand. He knocked her on the ground and she could not even look up in her shock as Joffrey raged at her.

"YOU ARE NOTHING! YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO DEMAND ANSWERS FROM A KING NOR ARE YOU ALLOWED TO DEMAND ANSWERS FROM AN EMPEROR!"

Suddenly, she felt Meryn's boot heel in her right side which was like the veil had been pulled from her eyes and she could see things in the clear light of day, who Joffrey truly was on the inside, what he was truly like…all the things she waved off/ignored suddenly came into focus like a tapestry by revealing his true character. He was greedy, sadistic, willful, vicious, cruel and everything else she was warned about. Masked by a golden façade, he was a monster in disguise who had fully taken her in. Sansa realized the fact that Joffrey cared about no one but himself. Sansa was nothing more than a foolish girl who betrayed her own family, therefore, he'd like her. Those heads were mounted on the spikes because of her much to her own horror.

As day turned to dusk, Sansa, a bruised girl who was forced to walk into the room wherever she was shoved through the door, groaned as her bruised body hit the hard floor. As she struggled to her feet, she felt gentle hands helping her get up and a female voice brought her which was a small measure of relief.

"Are you alright, Sansa?" Jeyne Poole asked her (Sansa) as she (Sansa) managed to get to her (Sansa's) feet with her (Jeyne's) help, she (Sansa) nodded in reply before she (Sansa) stumbled over to a bed on the other side of the room. She'd seen Jeyne pour a goblet of water and press it into her (Sansa's) hand wherever the Stark girl gratefully took some careful sips of water. Taking a moment once she (Sansa) drained her (Sansa's) goblet, she (Sansa) could see that she (Sansa) didn't need to tell Jeyne what happened, the bloodshot eyes told her (Sansa) that Jeyne had been crying hard not too long ago. However, she (Sansa) could not meet her gaze. Vayon was dead just like her (Sansa's) whole entourage, whereas, Jeyne was newly orphaned because of her (Sansa). She (Sansa) told the Southern Queen that they were fleeing the southern capital. If only she just obeyed Ned's commands, they'd be far safer away from Joffrey and Cersei. Instead, all their trusted servants were dead, whereas, she (Sansa), Ned and Jeyne were the Southern Queen's prisoners.

She (Sansa) knew Jeyne was worried about her (Sansa), but she (Jeyne) must surely felt all the grief at this moment, however, Sansa dreaded the time when Jeyne finds out who betrayed them for Cersei. In fact, she (Sansa) especially dreaded the time when she (Jeyne) finds out the fact that it was her (Sansa) who betrayed them for Cersei.

She was about to lie down to get some sleep or at least as much as she could when suddenly and without warning, Lord Varys and other two men appeared in the corner of the room seemingly from nowhere. She would've sat up, however, her body protested too much and Jeyne nearly screamed but the bald eunuch said quickly.

"My Ladies, I must apologize for my abrupt entrance but we have little time. I have been sent on the behalf of Lord Tyrion Lannister to ensure that you do not remain in the hands of the Queen and her elder son, but we must move now or we will certainly be discovered. I know for a fact that the Queen intends to simply give young Lady Poole to the owner of a brothel." Jeyne looked terrified at sheer idea and was keen to go with them to avoid such a fate, whereas, Sansa struggled to her feet and demandingly asked him.

"What of my father? We must rescue him." But Varys shook his head as he explained.

"Your father is currently being held in the Black Cells, but if the Queen and the crown prince do not have you and Lady Poole, they will have nothing to use as leverage against him. Now, My Ladies, we must hurry," he urged them and Sansa reluctantly allowed one of the men to help her, whereas, the other man helped Jeyne into a hidden passage which had been concealed in the wall of the room. The dark passage was unsettling in how far/long it seemed to stretch illuminated solely by Lord Varys's torch. However, the eunuch knew where he was going and soon, they emerged near the manor houses on Rhaenys's Hill. The dark streets were surprisingly quiet as they carefully made their way up the hill to the same manor house that Sansa and Arya once visited to meet Tywin Lannister in person what seemed like a lifetime ago.

Soon, they arrived at one of the side doors rather than the main entrance and Varys knocked a series of times which sounded like the first few lines of the Rains of Castamere. There was the sound of a lock being undone and the door swung open to reveal Ser Barristan Selmy, the knight who ushered them in. He frowned when he saw the condition Sansa had been left in by the still to be crowned king. Once they were inside, he and the rest of the servants in the manor re-secured the door and moved them into the drawing room. The maester who just finished changing Ser Jacelyn's bandages when he saw them come in with Sansa, he'd gone straight to work as they put her down on the available couch. Now Jeyne almost completely drained, she curled up in the adjacent seat before she quickly fell asleep.

Tyrion Lannister approached her (Sansa) as the maester had gotten to work and she never thought she'd be so glad to see the Imp in all her life. She derided him in private whenever with Cersei and Joffrey because of their hatred of him, but right now, he was the most welcome person in her eyes outside a member of her own family.

"Lady Sansa," Tyrion greeted her warmly. "Welcome to Lannister House. Do not worry, you are safe here. My brother is at this moment riding for King's Landing with his men, soon things will be put right," he assured her, however, she (Sansa) shook her head.

"No I don't think things will ever really be alright ever again." Her eyes drifted over to Jeyne, the newly orphaned girl who already looked like she was suffering from some kind of nightmare.

As his men secured the Southern Red Keep and have begun to gather the Gold Cloaks in an effort to regain full control of the southern city, Hadrian walked in one of the rooms of the Southern Red Keep and was much relieved to see Lord Stark being tended to by Grandmaester Pycelle, the elderly man who'd finally crawled out from whatever rock he'd been hiding under. Seeing the wounds on Ned from his time in captivity made Hadrian frown but he kept his face straight briskly.

"Lord Stark, I hope your time in the cells was not too complicated. I was appalled when I discovered what my sister and nephew had done." He sat down. "I had ridden here as fast as I could."

Ned angrily glared at Hadrian, the man who merely raised his eyebrow, not rising to Lord Stark's anger, "Sure you did, my friends and the others I trusted were slaughtered, my daughter's friend was left recently orphaned. My daughter herself was traumatized, I do not see why I should believe any of the words that come out of a Lannister's mouth." Pycelle looked ready to say something, but he earned a glare from Ned which silenced him and with his job finished, the old man excused himself, keen to get away from the two lords who were sure to butt heads given what had happened.

Ned was about to blow his top when Hadrian said first eager to head him off before the Northern lord said something that he would regret. "When I discovered the slaughter of your retinue, your and Sansa's imprisonment was down to Lord Petyr Baelish's advice." That piece of news surprised Ned, the Northern lord who was shaken out of his anger for a moment in sheer. "When my sister heard the fact that you were fleeing this southern city, he convinced her that you were plotting against her and Joffrey and that she needed hostages to ensure that the North would bend the knee to her son."

"And how did she know I was planning to depart the southern capital?" Ned inquired as he was annoyed with the fact that the arrogant Mockingbird had been behind this whole thing.

"Sansa told her," Hadrian revealed which purely stunned Ned, the Northern lord who was unable to wrap his head around the fact that his daughter betrayed him.

"No, this is another trick…Sansa would never go behind my back like that."

"But she wanted to marry Joffrey and be his queen so she'd gone to tell Cersei by hoping that she would stop your departure which she did it her own way of course. Which is not the first time your daughter lied by turning against you and her own family to win my sister and my nephew's approval. She lied about what happened at the river with Nymeria and Arya that day. No doubt she has been doing and saying anything the Queen asked of her ever since."

Ned didn't want to believe Hadrian, but he couldn't deny the fact that the signs of betrayal were there so now that he looked at them in a different light, she'd spent with Queen Cersei and Joffrey without her family there all the time. She tried to mimic Queen Cersei no matter how much he had tried to convince her not to. Those pieces and the others like them that he had dismissed at the time now came together to form a terrible picture in his mind. He groaned in realization.

"If you still intend to return home to the North, I will not try to convince you to remain here because you all have suffered here and I will make sure that your entire retinue's corpses are sent back to Winterfell for proper burial, but I hope you will stay here at least till tonight, there is a meeting that I would very much like you to attend," he stated, but he added the last part quietly in case anyone was listening. Ned glared at him suspiciously as he asked, he whispered.

*cough* Mary Sue *cough*
Aerys only starts being mad after the events of duskendale

Angela Jansons chapter 10 . 1/7
I also see Sansa as a sort of wicked stepsister to Jeyne Poole's Cinderella, always talking down to her and enslaving her by compelling her to do chores against her own free will, even though they're "best friends?"

"Father?" He turned around to see Sansa standing there. She (Sansa) looked upset. "Why must we leave? I love it here. The Queen and Joffrey have been so kind to me." Ned nearly begun to grit his teeth, not wishing to have to put up with this instantly, thus, he snapped at her (Sansa).

"Do as I command. We must leave immediately," he told her shortly until he had gone about his own quick packing. Renly had already fled the southern capital and was no doubt on his way to High-garden or Storm's End to call his banners. He had no intention of being here when Joffrey had taken power since that boy had a sadistic streak as wide as the Narrow Sea. He wouldn't allow his daughter to become intertwined with monsters like him (Joffrey), but he (Ned) was so focused on getting out of the southern city.

Afterwards, Cersei compiled a list of all the people she wanted dead here in the Southern capital which was where they would be right now.

Two of the Clansmen tried to double team him but despite the confined quarters, Ned was able to stand his ground against the two vicious but relatively unskilled savages and he easily dispatched them, however, four more piled on him, reigning down blows with their fists or battle axes. None of the axes hit, but he received a vicious blow to the head and managed to stay conscious only long enough to see Jeyne Poole, the newly orphaned girl who screamed, was dragged downstairs by a Clansman, followed by another Clansman who held Mordane's and Vayon Poole's severed heads.

Gerold the bull chapter 39 . 12/30/2022
Too bad you don't know what happens to Myrcella and Tommen.
Theon Greyjoy chapter 22 . 12/30/2022
I don't like Margaery with Jon.
JonFan chapter 1 . 12/30/2022
Good only Jon had wanted a different woman than the arrogant Margaery.
GreyEyedKunoichi chapter 1 . 12/29/2022
Can someone, for the love of everything everywhere, explain why some dunce has reposted the entire story in the damned review section? I want to see reviews before I read the story not read the story through the reviews. Whyyyyyyyyy?!
3,911 | Page 1 2 3 4 11 .. Last Next »