Reviews for This Hurricane
Dabbles R Us chapter 6 . 7/31/2016
Aww, poor Callin. She wants approval, doesn't want Athenril to be angry with her, and it's all because Athenril is a manipulative abuser. Get 'em young, right? And then her interactions with Fenris. :( I just want to wrap everyone in a tight hug. All the hugs.
Ellenka chapter 6 . 7/27/2016
"She knows Fenris hates her and the consistency of their mutual suspicion for one another is almost refreshing after the hell of a night she's had." this is such a wonderfully satisfying & hilarious sentence, oh my.
And of course a bloody armor adds like 10 diplomacy lmao. But the encounter turned out surprisingly diplomatic indeed, and overall promising.
Also much love for the contrast between the Anders/Lirene & Hawk/Athenril relationships.
Suilven chapter 19 . 7/26/2016
I so want them to be safe, but I know it's not that easy. I'm going to take my small measure of comfort that - in this moment - they are together and safe at least.

This story was powerful and painful, compelling, and heartfelt. Your best work to date. So, so, so good.
Suilven chapter 18 . 7/26/2016
This whole chapter... my heart...

"It just needs a spark.

He takes a deep breath, reaches into the Fade. Pulls softly on the tangled invisible cords that have been waiting for him to pull them free. He yanks, hard.

And the world catches fire."
Suilven chapter 17 . 7/26/2016
Karl in this chapter is brilliant. His meeting with Hawk, with Cullen, and all his thoughts, his maps, his memories...

Anders seems like his drifting away, more obsessed than ever, and I feel Callin's fears that he is slipping away, that his thoughts and plans have gone where she can't follow.

I love this story sooooo much.
Ellenka chapter 5 . 7/25/2016
Ahh darn them heartbreakingly stubborn elves. And mages too :D
Ellenka chapter 4 . 7/24/2016
"Or maybe he just trusts Lirene to protect him. More than he should. More than is safe." ouchieee. yeah, believing someone is protecting you more than is safe makes all the sense just like going as fast as you can to make everything stop. Them brains just do that. Sigh.

"But her focus now is on the adult who has been denied help and safety for so long that he no longer knows how to ask for it." oh yes. we need that. such a beautiful way to put it. i love the whole Anders/Lirene cooperation so much.
JayRain chapter 19 . 7/23/2016
Oh, wow. This isn't an end, it's a beginning. It's a beginning to what Anders and Hawk's real work is. There is hope, and dreams do come true; but it's a case of things have to get worse (much worse as the case may be) before they can get better. The Chantry and Circle systems are too deeply entrenched and too full of corruption to the point that even the good ones can't fight it. This is one system that needs to be reassembled from the ground up. There's definitely the sense that the Circle/Chantry made Anders who he is, and I do give him credit for trying as long and as hard as he did. And I love how Callin, in the end, accepts his pain and brokenness and takes on that burden so he can move forward. In the end, that's what this world needs. Someone to take on the pain so everything can move forward. And much like the storm that gives this story its title, there is calm and peace in the aftermath, even in the midst of the destruction. There will be rebuilding. There is that hope. Awesome, awesome take on this entire series of events.
Ellenka chapter 3 . 7/23/2016
"There's a certain comfort to the familiar awareness that he could so easily die." oh yes there is. Bless them "not today tho" days.

"He can still feel the imprint of her mana, like a fingerprint left inside him." ooh this was just so beautiful just how i like my imagery :D

"If you let yourself get obsessed with saving everyone, you'll blind yourself to what they actually need." too true, so well said. And overall you are doing a great job portraying Anders as someone who both needs a lot help and can give a lot of help and his self esteem to a certain extent depends on being able to help but then there is also the crippling fear... a whole vicious circle olympics and it works all too well and hurt all too much bc #relatable

"Yes, she's using him, but at the same time, she's making him brave enough to do what he was always the best at seems like a fair trade." - I concede the situation Anders & Lirene are in is desperate and calls for desperate measures, but with rl implications, oh gods noooo. This was a wonderful way to put it, and sometimes it's the only thing that's motivation enough, but the implications are scary. Whatever happens, gotta be careful about the mana/manic depletion.

"She says nothing, but by now Anders likes to think he's pretty good at interpreting various silences." this made me smile. Both in a "yaaay silent communication already!" way, and "them teenagers & their sullen silences way", and the "BLESS people who can interpret various silences, they are like the only ones i can have a decent convo with" way.
aliena wyvern chapter 19 . 7/23/2016
I really, really love this ending :D it's fitting, beautiful, and logical (and anders is alive)! I look forward to read more of you in the future...
WinterWrensHollow chapter 19 . 7/23/2016
I LOVE THIS. You set the scene so beautifully - I felt the claustrophobic tension and fear and mania and chaos (and the whole time I had "Red and Black" going through my head). I also loved Varric's part in this chapter, and that he covered their escape. I'm so happy they made it out!

WELL. DONE.
Ellenka chapter 2 . 7/22/2016
Ok so I'm finally here, made it to the second-to-first chapter :D
And I realize I remember the beginning from the last time, but anyway, I wasn't prepared for how rough the first chapter was (esp. with migrant crises getting worse, and the voices getting worse too). And in the second, this "It's a comfortable vague question, one he'd never answered, but one that still - always - needed to be asked." paired with the final "I'm okay." got me so hard. Again. Oh well, but what are we supposed to say.
JayRain chapter 18 . 7/22/2016
Wow, this is so powerful in its short simplicity. This is a moment, a moment everything's been building toward. No one will bend. Something has to give. And if no one will bend, everything's going to have to break. There's a quote in Antigone about how it's the trees that are able to bend that can withstand the storms, but the ones that stand firm and don't bend are uprooted. This is Kirkwall in a nutshell. Anders has been trying, but no one wants to hear anything or anyone other than themselves. It's... kind of a scary analog to our world and our politics right now. But yeah, the short simplicity really just frames how crucial this one moment is. Excellent.
WinterWrensHollow chapter 18 . 7/21/2016
WOW. WOW WOW WOW.

Beautiful set up, beautiful execution (pun very much intended).

WOW.
aliena wyvern chapter 18 . 7/21/2016
I'm really, really scared to read next chapter :'( won't do any good to my poor feels...