Reviews for The Seven Gates
thrndlwood chapter 2 . 9/12
I really enjoy the beginning thank you for writing and sharing your story
thrndlwood chapter 1 . 9/12
The idea of the story seems to be interesting
wolfawaken chapter 24 . 5/27
I will wait!
msg839 chapter 24 . 5/27
I was really missing your updates!
One of the best stories I have read on this fandom
I will be waiting :)

Take care!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 24 . 5/27
Best of luck as you're working through your outlines and finishing up your exams! I'm so looking forward to September :)
JaneSpeedwell chapter 24 . 5/24
Sorry to hear you won't be updating for the next couple of months! I hope everything is alright, and look forward to the next instalments!
chisscientist chapter 23 . 4/13
Good to see Tyelcano made it, even if it was to somewhere he didn't expect.

Maedhros is going to take it hard when he hears.
wolfawaken chapter 23 . 3/25
I came across your story a week ago. Your story is literally as through l am reading a history that is true and not fantasy.
Unicadia chapter 18 . 3/15
Oh my gosh, this is my favorite thing to read at the moment. I love it so much, and darn you, it's so good, I'm spending all my time reading it and getting to bed late because of your beautiful writing!
BTW, I LOVE Erenis. So many female OCs are so head-strong and warrior-like, but I'm pleased to see Erenis is much more feminine. She's adorable!
And Anardil is so awesome!
*passes out from all the amazingness*
-Unicadia
msg839 chapter 23 . 3/12
I am not tired of saying that you have such a GOOD plot in this fic! finally we reached the turning point where these two parallels stories, the Gondolindrin and Feanorians, crosses paths through the main character, Tyelcano. Before you posted this chapter, I thought that Turgon (and maybe many Lords in Gondolin) would not be so happy to have Tyelcano within their realm (or any other Feanorian, tbh) because you know the background story of Turgon's dislike for the feanorians... but the truth is that I really liked the characterization of Turgon here. It is subtle and complex, with an underlaying tension between the King and Tyelkano. The line that really catched me is when Turgon said: “And you tend to forget that Finwë had three sons, and his sons had sons, who have always been more eager to hear your counsel than Fëanáro, or any of his kin.” So it makes me wonder WHY Tyelkano sided with Feanor and his sons in first place, since he has always been a mentor for many princes of the House of Finwe and high counsellor . It will be interesting to see the next developings (and clashes :D). The POV of Tyelkano about Glorfindel, can't wait to see!

Wonderful description of Gondolin!
Unicadia chapter 2 . 3/9
Wow.

This is so well-written.

I ended up reading the dialogue portions aloud, it is so compelling. And I really like Tyelcano. He feels very real and I love his devotion to his lord. I can't wait to read more!
CrackinAndProudOfIt chapter 23 . 3/2
An update! And a fantastic one, as always. I absolutely love the way you depict Tyelcano's confusion and dissociation of sorts in the first scene - how utterly out of his depth he is, and the way he's struggling to fit this new environment into his reality, through the fog of pain. The internal monologue just feels so realistic there!

I always adore your Turgon, but he's in particularly sparkling form this chapter - kindly, but firm, wise, and just the slightest bit aloof. His narrative about his dream and his journey under Ulmo's guidance is gorgeously narrated, and keeps his voice so well at the same time. Turgon and Finrod's dreams are one of the things I wish Tolkien had given us more info on, so it was lovely to see that gap filled in here. His and Tyelcano's exchange about the law is very powerful, crackling with tension. I'm so excited to see how Tyelcano handles things as he begins to recover.

And poor Antalosse! I don't blame Gildor for saying what he did - on some level, I can see where a general would feel that's his place - to know when to give up and try to put his soldier's heart at ease, whatever it takes.

Amazing work!
mountaindreams chapter 23 . 2/27
Thank you for another wonderful chapter!

The way Tyelcano discovers where he is reminded me of my character I once played at a LARP… He had been a warrior of Fingon and retreated to Gondolin after surviving the Fifth Battle. I wrote a little story, just for myself, describing some moments of his life, and there was very similar moment, when he wakes up in Gondolin for the first time, after being wounded and sick, and feels there is something very strange and yet familiar: the light around him, it is such as it could only be in a city build of white stone, it reminds him of Tirion, his home, and finally he remembers all and realises that he must be in Gondolin.

Poor Tyelcano, I thought about that while reading the previous chapter - that he won't be able to leave the city and go back to Maedhros...
JaneSpeedwell chapter 23 . 2/27
Thanks for an enjoyable chapter!

Thoughts:

- 'Seven hells', 'milk of the poppy' - do I detect a GRRM fan? I guess the Elves might well have had access to some sort of opiate, but I do wonder about the repeated use of 'seven hells', as I don't believe that's a concept in the Tolkien canon? Though feel free to correct me if I am wrong!
- As always, I love the detail of your world-building. For instance, the fact that medicine would have developed quite a bit since Aman, is not something I would have considered.
- Poor Tyelcano! His greatest purpose is to serve Nelyo, but it would seem he will never be able to get back to him. I wonder how he will get out of this one! Perhaps he will be involved in the sack of Gondolin. At any rate, I'm interested to see how he gets on with the elves in Gondolin.
- Your description of the city, down to its small details, is really beautiful. It makes me understand, for the first time, why its inhabitants were so loathe to listen to Ulmo's later words. I mean, 'Love not too well the work of thy hands and the devices of thy heart' might be very sensible advice, but having built this gorgeous Tirion-in-the-mountains, you can see why Turgon and his people want to stay put.
- 'Ondolinde sprang to existence in the vaults of my fea' - lovely.
Elenluin chapter 23 . 2/27
I *love* Gildor here, and Turgon, and oh hell, I love all of your characterisations :) wonderfully done, as is the description of marvellous Gondolin, it left me breathless!