Reviews for 01-Doing Daddy Proud
Soror Curantis chapter 1 . 12/12/2016
Now that I've finished watching Planetes, I was able to read this without worrying about the spoilers!

I freaked out when Lavie brought Haala with him. Just when I was calming down and thought everything was gonna be okay, he sent her home alone! That's probably my greatest fear!

That part at the end...When I was watching the show, I didn't know if wanted them to retrieve the debris or if I wanted Lavie to get his promotion so that he could take better care of his kids.

I really feel sorry for Lavie.

Planetes knows where the hearts strings are located and just about the best methods to get to them. You're not falling far behind their footsteps.

Good job CG!
FullMentalPanic chapter 1 . 6/8/2016
Well this was a heaping helping of bittersweet enjoyment. I really appreciate all the research you did with names and cuisine and exchange rates, it just adds so much more depth and authenticity to the tale. Little bits too, like how the police aren't necessarily trustworthy adds both realism, context, and a kind of grief for how some of the authority figures may not have improved much from what they are now.

I think you really hold true to what made Planetes so enjoyable. It is a futuristic setting, but the core is the human relationships and that's where you keep the focus. I thought you gave that aspect nice emphasis as well with bits like how letter writing never went out of style. There are enduring aspects of society and humanity, and having spaceships doesn't change that.

You also did a splendid job with your cursory introduction of the other characters. You don't give their whole backstory, but you reveal enough of them and keep their personalitites so canonly portrayed that it definitely creates a desire to know more about them.

Lavie's bad decision emerges so realistically. You show all of the pressure he's under and all of the expectations he's trying to live up to and the individuals he's trying to come through for. He's put into some very authentic and relateable situations, and I was reading with baited breath to see where it would transition from logically rationalized to over the line. You could almost argue that it never crosses that mark. There are 11 year olds who could make it home okay. I don't think it was a goid decision on Lavie's part, but you can definitely sympathize with his position and the situation also could have ended with his daughter safely arriving home. You played all sides of that scenario very convincingly.

There's an interesting bit of irony with how even though Lavie feels that he's failed in his dream, and that was just heartbreaking in it's portrayal, he's very literally succeeded in his father's dream for him. Yes there's more than few sad moments in this, but you really bring us out of it with a sense of redemption, and the title is just perfect.
laughingbelle chapter 1 . 6/6/2016
I need to watch Planetes now. Like, right now.
This is an amazing story, CG. I feel like you really captured the paternal bond and desire to protect one's family.
Aviantei chapter 1 . 6/5/2016
Hey there, CG! I know, I know, you mentioned spoilers, but how could I resist? I mean, you've been so enthusiastic about this anime that I just had to sit down and check out what your take on it had to offer!

And can I say: wow? You always always impress me, and if the show has even half the depth as this piece does, then I'll surely be in for an excellent ride. You know, when I finally have the free time to watch things again. But you've certainly left an impression on me!

Based on your notes, I can definitely say that your expansion on Arvind's character is wonderful. I can't say I know all the details, but the aspect of family and character conflict played out really well. And, hey, not bad for working to make not so good things happen to your characters, too. I've never actually worked with a divorce/disjointed family situation like this one. Maybe I should think more on that?

(Um, not sure that's what CG wanted you to do with this story, Paige...)

A few things I will admit, though:

Using wordings like "the worst decision of his life" is a bit tricky. Yes, Arvind thinks of it that way, and I'm not trying to take that away from his character. It's still almost a cliche phrase, though, so I'd be careful how you utilize it. Of course, the fact that you were on a deadline (and put out this awesome word count, too) makes up for it, but it managed to stick out to me, so I'd keep an eye on it.

And maybe this is a tad bit irrelevant since I haven't watched the show, but once you got into adapting the content from the episode, I was kind of able to notice the shift. I don't know if it's a break in narration, or the tone seems to have slightly changed, but there's something there. Not to say it's a bad thing, but I noticed it. Kind of curiouser and curiouser, huh?

Bonus points for research! Ha, I could probably use some more of that on a regular basis...

You're off to a great start, CG! While his inheritance may be subtle, it is the passing on of great mindsets that may be one of the best ones you can receive. Even if things are a bit delayed, it's possible to finish up what you've started. Top notch as always.

Looking forward to spending the summer with you,
-Avi