Reviews for Romancing Solitude
thatperfectsomeone chapter 1 . 10/13/2016
Reading this just breaks my heart :(
Primrue chapter 1 . 8/1/2016
Ooooh, I love this! Beautifully written! Thank you for sharing!
IfIOnlyWereAWeasley chapter 1 . 8/1/2016
I absolutely LOVED this story! I loved hearing about their first meeting (the flirting between them was perfect), and the flashback with Andrometa was so bitter-sweet. The ending was so sad, but it truly was a believable end for the Malfoys. Great job with this one-shot!
DolbyDigital chapter 1 . 7/30/2016
I felt so bad for Narcissa here! I think you captured her emotions perfectly, and I loved your characterisation of her. I thought this was beautifully written — I only saw a couple mistakes with punctuation — and I loved the way it progressed.

I thought starting each section with her age worked really well, especially with such large jumps in time, and I loved that you showed how her reason for continuing had always been someone else. And, now that she’d lost everything, she can only live for herself, which is something she’s never had to do before.
NeonDomino chapter 1 . 7/30/2016
This was wonderfully written, with just the right amount of description. I liked the first meeting with Narcissa and Lucius, with things being a bit more playful and less formal than I'm used to reading, which is a refreshing change. I like that younger Lucius wasn't as strict and formal as his older self.

I love the little skips, showing the changes in their lives, and felt sad for Narcissa upon her memory of Andy. The ending saddened my slightly, because I was totally feeling for her, being left all alone.

The only useful thing I can offer here is that it wasn't completely clear at all times that the scene had changed, so dividers would have made it clearer. :)
Mycroft-mione chapter 1 . 7/30/2016
This was interesting. My favorite part was the way you started each new section with a variation on "-year-old Narcissa" based on her age at the time. It established a sort of rhythm and let time pass quickly without needing to explicitly state, "It was two years later" or whatever. The ending was saddening - Draco's an alcoholic? Lucius is locked up? :'( You really made me feel bad for Narcissa, especially since you'd just spent 1k words showing me why I should like the pairing. How could you?! D:
DobbyRocksSocks chapter 1 . 7/30/2016
YES to this! This is written fantastically well, and I absolutely loved every single word you wrote. Narcissa is a really good character to write about anyway, but I loved your portrayal of her very much. The ending, with Draco having a drinking problem and Narcissa ignoring it because of neediness broke my heart a little, and her perspective on Lucius' activities was very interesting as well.

Also, She wasn't Sirius... this. This is flawless in it's subtlety, a throw away sentence at the beginning that is really rather poignant to Narcissa as a character. Absolutely stunning job :)
Love the Brightest Star chapter 1 . 7/14/2016
This was such a beautifully melancholy story. Narcissa is possibly one of the grayest characters of the series, seemingly inclined towards the dark side and yet wanting nothing more than to live a normal, safe life. I think she must not have wanted to get involved with Voldemort again, so the place where you wrote how she made him promise resonates perfectly with my own headcanon. I loved how you gradually drew out the circumstances for Narcissa — from a world where she is surrounded and accepted by everyone, to one where she is completely alone. I couldn't help feel sorry for her. Her purposes in life were very well highlighted, focusing how her whole life was dedicated to those goals. Her nervousness during her marriage is so realistic; it's the same that all married women have passed through this in their life.
I did not notice any SPaG mistakes. Well done on that!
As a conclusion, all I can say that this was a truly wonderful story which looks deep into Narcissa's life in a most vivid way, portraying her problems and her fear for loneliness (and how her life eventually comes to that) to perfection. Bravo!
I rea
CUtopia chapter 1 . 7/8/2016
Oh, I do really feel pity for Narcissa now. I think you wrote this beautifully.
The insight on her feelings and thoughts was very nice to read, and definitely something new. She really has had some bad luck, with her husband ending up in prison several times. And she probably always was alone with it.
You characterised both Narcissa and Lucius very well, and I especially liked the beginning, where they met and were betrothed, I guess.
I really liked your writing style, it was a nice read! Well done!
disillusionist9 chapter 1 . 7/5/2016
First of all, the comment about how she wasn't Sirius was SO on point. She would constantly compare herself to her ostracized compatriots.

WHY DID IT END THERE WHY WAS IT SAD.

This was beautiful, and the focus entirely on Narcissa made it more so. Thank you so much for sharing it!
Eosneve chapter 1 . 6/28/2016
I enjoy your writing style and the relatable perspective of the character; in general, I'm not much like Narcissa, but for the whole time it took me to read this beautiful story, I felt like we had a connection. And this fic is not only interesting, but also very well written, so I could really feel like in a pensieve; it was just me and the story itself. No words, no letters, nothing else, really! And your characterization was perfect! Cissy basically lived for his family, for the bond she has forged with other people, so when, in the end, all those people left her for some reason, she was as good as dead.

Great story!
Debs1990 chapter 1 . 6/10/2016
This was an emotional but enjoyable read. I love how you portrayed Narcissa as fairly innocent at the beginning and full of hope. You did a great job of showing how her hope and innocence is lost over the years, and how she has lost everything she holds dear by the end of the story. I also like how you used the prompts, the dusty rose being a lipstick her grandmother would probably wear being one of my favourite parts. The story left me sympathising with Narcissa and wishing that she could reach out to her older sister. Great job.