Reviews for Folks Who Have No Vices Have Very Few Virtues
Suricata chapter 1 . 2/4/2017
I like the title, no matter how you came up with it! The idea was really interesting, I've also been wondering how and when he started smoking and it makes sense to combine the loss of their possible future with the start of his addiction which harms his lungs like the illness harmed hers. It's a beautiful story that showed how they could be so attracted to each other and how they silently shared and understood the things about the other that his comrades just couldn't see. The moonlight scene was my favourite, his inner monologue was really well-written.
Ersatz Writer chapter 1 . 6/14/2016
Absolutely lovely~ There were moments where you followed the script of the episode pretty closely which did feel somewhat repetitive to the actual episode (buuuut that's probably just because I've seen the Mitsuba arc so many times I've memorised it XD And I still cry every time) but I did love the interjection you added of Hijikata imagining Mitsuba alone in their married life. I do like the way you had with words. The imageries were very nice and I like that you touched upon Mitsuba's odd quirks too, with the Tobasco sauce. That did make me smile.

Grouchy, angsty Hijikata is always, always love. Especially the younger, more socially awkward, gruff Hijikata with the pony tail. Ahhh poor guy. :( The smoking was a nice link. He did only pick up the habit once they left Edo, I'm guessing due to the stress. I think in the last Gintama arc they showed him still with his pony tail but already with a cigarette in his mouth. :( A tiny part of my headcanon imagines Hijikata distanced himself from Mitsuba when she first came also because of the fact that he now smoked, which would be bad for her lungs too... :'( Gah thinking about it makes me want to cry.

One minor detail to note, perhaps, is that maybe in your opening few lines you could begin more... Subtly? Your descriptions were lovely, but they did begin somewhat stiffly, just statements, and perhaps you could introduce them more so that they painted an image rather than facts, such as 'It was August' etc. But that's a really minor detail that literally only applies to a few lines. Once you got into the flow it was fine, but I'm just nitpicking now.

Overall, really great job. Brought back the feels of the HijiMitsu for me quite a lot. The first canon pairing and the first to break our hearts. :( I've always thought of the Mitsuba arc as Gintama's first 'serious' arc, for some reason. It was truly tragic, and you captured the feeling well, despite not touching upon Mitsuba's death as most HijiMitsu fics do. :) Good job all in all, my friend! Please keep writing for Gintama. There's a lot of (surprising) angst in it to touch upon, actually. And I can imagine you doing a good job of capturing that atmosphere~ _
muguetmuse chapter 1 . 6/9/2016
Clever title. I haven't read your other fics, but I liked the style. Beautiful imagery and writing.
No matter what anyone says, I do have a soft spot for Hijikata. That headcanon, though - plausible and thoroughly executed. Capturing that side to Hijikata, the one where he put Mitsuba first despite the costs and lives with that burden...usually, depending on certain elements, I have an aversion to angst (/cough my favorites section say otherwise but Gintama is my weakness .;), but I liked this. I liked this because it's Hijikata, the collected Vice-chief of the Shinsengumi and capturing his essence through linking that nicotine stick and memory of Mitsuba solidifies your work for me.
wishtly chapter 1 . 6/9/2016
AYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:D

I would think that Tabasco sauce is just as if not more effective than pepper spray ;)

Nice job!
mi-chan chapter 1 . 6/8/2016
this fic hijimitsu was so lovely and a little sad too!
Nice job author-san
keep the good work up!
:D
i love okikagu chapter 1 . 6/8/2016
TwT so touching and cute
a little bitter too

everything is so well writing!
thanks for sharing this hijimitsu!
i really liked it!