Reviews for The Monster and the Man
AnimeReigns chapter 31 . 5/21
Wonderful book. I enjoyed the clever backstory for Jellal. It's unique and practical (if the town of Innisfil actually existed). The relationship between Erza and Jellal is also perfect. Erza's devotion to Jellal and the intensity of their love is portrayed very strongly in this book. It's almost refreshing. All in all, I appreciate the effort you've put into this story; it's the best Jellal x Erza story I've ever read.
AnimeReigns chapter 24 . 5/14
I love how Erza is progressively conceding to Innisfil's rules, and very unnatural nature. Her darkness is being uprooted, and Jellal's demons only encourage it. With the town of Innisfil bringing out their worst, we see our protagonists in an interestingly new light.
AnimeReigns chapter 17 . 5/13
This book so far is amazing, I fell in love with it from the moment I first started reading it. I haven't read "Noir" yet, and I know this is a prequel, but I'll probably read it after this. Just because I found this one first. I'm addicted to reading, I'm pretty sure- mental illness and all, no joke- and this book is addicting. A bad combination; you'd be surprised how bad the withdrawal is with this particular combo. For something like reading.

I can't express how much I enjoy a slightly- just slightly- more extreme version of Jellal. I feel this book digs and worms its way into the deepest, darkest recesses of his mind and fucks them up. It's refreshing, almost. Erza as well. Giving into sinful pleasures, but with all of her emotions and mentality proper. She also retains good will and- quite interestingly- even goes so far as to be human. When she questions herself, and finds a dark place she hadn't noticed before, she wonders what kind of ill will would she feel if she allowed herself to indulge her (for lack of better word) sinister and immoral thoughts and emotions. Then she ignores it, decides not to indulge it, just as Erza would.

I am mostly drawn to this book not because it centers around my OTP, not because I recognized your profile, not because you're such a good writer- though those all do help. I am primarily drawn to this book because of the dark content. It's odd, really; most people enjoy happy, fluffy books that make your day, though I don't mind those either. In some twisted way, my once optimistic mind turned (almost immorally) pessimistic. I feel as if I can relate to this book somehow, not in sins or evil intent, but in the gloomy atmosphere and feeling. I'm quite the depressing and generally detatched person (as you might have guessed). Books like these bring out a certain darkness in me that I'm not quite sure about. Not yet.

I know this is probably a comment for the end of the book, but I would like to let you know what I'm thinking and how I'm feeling halfway. Please continue to write perfect stories as the one you have carved here. I look forward to reading more of the things you've written. There is only one word to describe this book. It is simply. . .

Magnifique.
wordslinger chapter 31 . 3/3
I loved this so much! I'm quite sad it's over as there's really no other fic like this (I would know, I've looked). It is in a class all it's own.
wordslinger chapter 30 . 3/3
Genevieve got what she deserved even though I was surprised Erza gave him the knife to do it. But also not surprised. Eli was right but Erza was also right not to let him dig around in Jellal's head more. There's a heavy pull to fix a man one's self but Erza might find that some men can't be fixed.
wordslinger chapter 29 . 3/3
Eli's offer is incredibly tempting. Erza is a better person than me but his persuasion tactics are suspect. Why does he care so much and is he trustworthy enough not to lay a Manchurian Candidate style trap? Idk idk
wordslinger chapter 28 . 3/3
I enjoy Eli too much I think. I especially liked the way he made Jellal look crazy, as if he were talking to himself (because that's something I'd do).
wordslinger chapter 27 . 3/3
"Only Erza was more beautiful than Madam Genève, but they were very similar in many ways. Both women were stunning, both voluptuous, and both had honed the ability to not only strike him dumb, but cleave him in two with just a look." Jellal loves to be destroyed. It's his kink.
wordslinger chapter 26 . 3/3
At first it was hard for me to believe this Jellal (who is so tortured) was truly a monstrous man when he's brought so easily to his knees simply by visiting a town. But he is and you've made me believe it.
wordslinger chapter 25 . 3/3
"How was he supposed to separate the monster and the man when he was only ever allowed to be a monster?" Oh, Jellal, that's the million dollar question. It's a circle of vicious, never ending self hatred.
wordslinger chapter 24 . 3/3
Erza made a deal with a devil and the price for that is always steep. She's gotta learn though. I suppose Jellal's life is worth it to her (it better be haha!). I don't think I can properly state how much I really enjoy this story. And for the record I don't think it's really all *that* ooc. This is an AU after all and I believe it.
wordslinger chapter 23 . 3/3
"And honestly, you're the worst assassin I've ever hired." LAUGHING OUT LOUD
wordslinger chapter 22 . 3/3
It's always a sister isn't it? And ten! I'd be appalled except it's a reality in this world, our own, and probably every world in existence. The children always suffer the most.
wordslinger chapter 21 . 3/3
Aw Erza deserved to get more from Sienna than that lol. But it was satisfying none the less.
wordslinger chapter 20 . 3/3
Jellal is right about Eli. Powerful people who want to die are always the most dangerous people in a room. Somehow I think Natalie could understand that if she were more honest with herself.