Reviews for A dragon that loves the cold
Elle chapter 8 . 9/4/2017
On my third reading of Measure Each Step, I discovered this story, and realized that I hadn't yet reviewed either. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story and for giving Azula such a thoughtful and well-written journey. Your characterization has changed everything about the way I view her. I also really enjoyed seeing more of Katara's perspective in this story. :)
milagglad chapter 8 . 4/1/2017
Very good...
Blazen chapter 8 . 1/6/2017
I've finished almost all of your MES stories and wanted to leave a lengthy review. Since there is a lot of criticism I want to focus on the great things about the story.
The best part in my opinion is how much you've fleshed out the world. Both Fire Nation and Southern Water Tribe cultures have come alive in your writings and I guess you've done a lot of research (Azula-level research I might add) about the real Japanese and Eskimo cultures (maybe some other nations as well, I'm not sure).
It was a wonder to read about the intricacies of the interactions between the nobility, the royals and the servants. And the contrast between Katara's life in the South and in the Fire Nation was done very well - she accepted most of the comforts coming with being a part of the royal family, but she continued working as a healer and that comforts never stopped her from returning to the South and all of the hard work there.
You've done a lot of work on the gender politics in the Fire Nation. Since the ability to firebend is such an important part of the culture there, it's a surprise that some inequality exists for the noble women. Obviously, the ability to bend should be a great equaliser (just like the magic in HP universe).
Anyway, now on to the Azula/Katara relationship. I only recently became fascinated with the two of them, either as friends or as lovers, because somehow they fit together very well. This story seems to be the best Azutara story I've seen so far, so thank you for making it.
Glitzh chapter 8 . 12/8/2016
Wauw... Just wauw. This and ''Measure each step to infinity'' Are the best stories I've ever read on fanfiction, and I've read Thousands. I don't know how to describe them besides perfect.
Long time aye chapter 2 . 12/5/2016
I still remember when you were uploading new chapters of MES. I was in Year 10 and would have to try bypass the school firewall to get on FF and see if you had a new chapter up.

Now I'm in second year university and you're still one of my favourite authors. I remember your FF name by heart and check out any new writing you have every now and again.

I haven't finished reading all the chapters of this side story but it makes me so happy to hear familiar names like Rakka and Ana again. I love your characterisation and creative ideas that always link seamlessly into the ATLA universe. Thank you for picking up this endeavour and writing little extra bits for MES out of your own time. Thanks for making an old reader smile again at the shenanigans of Azula and Katara.
Grand Witch Alliance chapter 8 . 11/20/2016
After reading MES, and even the side-stories, I have to admit that by the end of this story, I was very disappointed. This was due to the combination of grammar errors and the boring-ness of the story.

I read MES like a year and a half ago, and I still found it to be fun to read a week ago. Then I started Leaves on the vine, which I really enjoyed as well. And then I hit this story, which felt very mundane in comparison to those two. I'm very tempted to say the slice-of-life aspect of the story has nothing to do with it since I find many slice-of-life fanfics to be fun to read, but that could very well be it.
Guest chapter 8 . 10/30/2016
Lovely story. Great read.
AD Lewis chapter 8 . 10/11/2016
And so ends a great series of stories. Really enjoyed reading them and I look forward to seeing your future work.
Dustubuni chapter 8 . 10/10/2016
Mm. Hope this means you're done with this series.

It just felt so... pretentious. It felt like you're trying to look open-minded and down-to-earth when your end goal is to make us see things your way. Every character who wasn't your protagonist was either there to suck up to them, give or take a little token head-butting with the dissenters, or die when they made an attempt on their life. There's almost no depth to the Gaang, and what little development they have is vastly overshadowed by textbook (and more often than not hypocritical) speeches about how their anger is unfounded, they should get over themselves, they are not above reproach (my *ahem* 'favorite') and the list goes and on et cetera ad frickin' nauseum. And the whole cuckoldry subtext was mind grating; I'm thankful that you at least had the decency to avoid putting actual cuckold scenes in this series. This last part had... I want to say "improvements," but it honestly feels more like closure, or the closest we'll get to it.

And I know the series has it's fanbase, rightfully so for the effort you DID put into writing it. but that does not mean it's without it's flaws, and no disclaimer or warning is going to change that. I hope that your next story is written with the intent to improve yourself, instead of demanding of your audience to become more accepting of an otherwise disagreeable character at the expense of everyone else.
braveheart34 chapter 8 . 10/9/2016
Thanks so much for a wonderful batch of stories that have left me speechless in how well done they are, if i could make one wish it would to be able to forget them and read them again but since i cant I'll just have to wait for some more,would love to see how azula interacts with her baby and everyone else.

Kind Regards
A very happy fan.
BlueLion chapter 8 . 10/9/2016
a very touching sequel to MESTI, I love it, especially Katara's p.o.v. in this one. I reckon this is gonna be the last story of MESTI-universe, even so, I'm thankful to you for giving us this great tale! I hope it won't be your last Avatar-fic, even if it should conclude MESTI-universe.
The story goes into my community list, again!
Veggielover1 chapter 8 . 10/8/2016
Great chapter. I really loved this epilogue!
afterthezenith chapter 8 . 10/8/2016
It might seem ridiculous that I post two seperate reviews for chapters released simultaneously but I had to, because it wasn't until the end of the chapter that I realised it was leading up to the epilogue, at which point I felt a mild pang of sadness; you know, the type you feel when you know all good things must come to an end and are just pleased you have experienced it in the first place? That type.

I refuse to believe this was only 8 chapters, it felt like so much more. I also can't believe I somehow fell into a strange type of rhythm at reviewing as often as I could to show my support and appreciation and whatnot.

Firstly, I want to thank you for personal reasons I haven't necessarily worded as explicity before: Azula's personality has, in some strange and unexpected way, made me come to peace with my own. We are not necessarily alike, but her absolute perfectionism and mild incapacity to see people beyond herself, possessing a better understanding of 'things' rather than people, and how she actively learned to control those parts of herself and learn to better them without compromising her personality, while still being loved? I loved that. I also find myself having a hard time with those rougher aspects of myself, albeit without the support from others that are willing to give me a chance. This is an awfully personal thing to admit on "The Internet", but I really wanted you to know that my appreciation for your characterization and how grounded in reality it all is does not only come from how enjoyable I find it, but also how I can relate to it at times. What you managed to do is also a very well-rounded way of approaching a character and making them REAL. I always felt that love was an emotion reserved to nebulous "others" very much unlike myself. Of course I subconsciously knew that there are lots of different ways to love, etc. but the general gist was that love belonged to certain types of people, and stubborn doofuses (your guess is as good as mine as to whether this is Katara or Azula) couldn't really make it work. That Katara was too bossy, and no one liked that. That Azula was too prissy and selfish, and no one liked that. Love stories almost never handle the aspect of self-change and accomodation that comes along with loving another BEING, someone outside of your immediate self and mind; at least they never delt with it beyond the superficial way of how someone with an Obvious Bad Habit/Way of Life suddenly reformed and became a Good Person. You managed to go well beyond this in your writing so thank you for that, and I really mean it.

Moving along, thank you for your dedication to this story. This is a strange medium that almost entirely depends on the author's own interest, as it is free and relies on the basis of fun and sharing whatever you feel like sharing. This, expectedly, leads to a lot of inconsistencies in writing for which absolutely no one can be blamed- what do you say to a fanfic author who no longer feels inspired to write a fic you love? So I find it incredible that you stuck through and shared this wonderful piece with us.

A third and final thank you is also in order. Thank you for writing this. Beyond the personal meaning, beyond the dedication, it is, in my awfully humble opinion, an incredible story. I could wax lyrical about this for eons, but at the basis, I'm just glad this story exists and thank you for that.

P. S. I can't believe you snuck in that part with the letter, man was that quite something.
afterthezenith chapter 7 . 10/8/2016
Waking up to not only one but two updates for this will always cause for a lovely morning (seriously, I'm so ridiculously sick, this was perfectly timed). So thank you!

It's so awesome to see an update again (worry not, I WILL reiterate this at least a few billion more times just to get my message across xP), I can't believe how much I missed the casual on-point interactions and characterizations here (I mean, how can you not miss Fire Lord "it's so simple let me launch into long-winded explanation about it" Azula- a name I'm sure Kota would have mixed feelings about). It did only take Azula a wedding to admit to being a doofus. I mean, the subconscious over-achiever even managed to overshadow Zuko on his birthday xD

Since this is already a bit of a topsy-turvy review, I think I should mention that I loved the line "Rakka shifted her coils. It was a dry sound on the tile of the balcony". Lots of other parts I absolutely loved, but in lieu of repeating things I've said in the past I just wanted to point out that this line almost literally made me HEAR the action. It's a tiny thing to mention, but it felt real, so it's worth it really.
Furionknight chapter 7 . 10/8/2016
I look forward to more :)
54 | Page 1 2 3 .. Last Next »