Reviews for The Tale of the Laughing Maiden
Mirefinwe chapter 1 . 7/19/2007
I love the way in which, to become worthy of Feanor's brotherhood, Lalwen must become his daughter.
Epilachna chapter 1 . 9/7/2006
Interesting story. Well written. A nice read.
WhenILookAtTheStars chapter 1 . 8/19/2003
wow, that was awesome. you write so well, in such an eloquent and beautiful manner, elegantly organic. i loved that story!
The Bookbinder's Daughter chapter 1 . 6/28/2003
Wow. This was a beautiful, heart-wrenching, superb story; for a fanfic that supposedly interprets canon in the 'widest sense possible', this felt like a genuine chapter of the Silm that Christopher Tolkien accidentally lost. The Immortal Professor would be proud.

I loved the last paragraph; particularly Lalwen's declaration the she'll laugh when the everlasting darkness comes. Her whole aura of dancing, laughing joy seems like a defense she's concocted after having some vague premonition of her doom - even before she meets Curufin, she appears to acknowledge that she's doomed, although I don't know if she originally regards it as doom ("I would know him when I saw him, I would love once and forever, as it should be. And for each there is another, and time will bring them together, and each time Laurelin faded and Telperion grew another day brought me closer to the one I would love. I would do what my mother could not. I would do what my father would not. I would love, once and forever. And I would never cease to laugh.").

If this is the future of the Mary Sue, then I may someday actually like that genre. Bravo!
Lady Masterblott chapter 1 . 2/17/2003
Dear Deborah!

Thanks for writing that story.

And thanks for the footnotes ;-) - Silm illiterate that I am, I had my problems with the two Curufinwes, but in the end things became clearer.

The story ('interpreted canon in the widest way possible') is heart-breaking and from its dramatic and tragic potential, as far as I know, worthy of the Silm - I would not have guessed that you made up this constellation - JRRT himself could as well have done.

I loved the sentence: "In time, we lay together in the grass, and the dance went on."

And I loved the tragic determination of Lalwen who still loved her husband after all the tragic events she had got involved in by her decision - and even after she left him since it was the only thing she could do to save her son.

And even beyond the (Valar-given?) bond, that was not supposed to exist anymore.

IMHO, this means that if she still feels love for him, even w/o the bond, that her love is greater than the Valar's idea of it.

But I fear that won't help her in the end.

- You created a really fine atmosphere of doomed-ness, btw, around the question wether loyalty to family (which in general is suppsoed to be a 'good' quality in someone)is supposed to be 'good' under the given circumstances. Lalwen, as the woman who married into another family (and one not appreciated by her own relatives) can only lose. - However she decides, she will lose the connection to ppl dear to her.

She has to pay for others follies (as her love was dead serious to her).

If she was not in the Silm with all its tragic family constellations, she deserved to be written into it. Thanks for doing so!

Btw - I hope you feel better!
Aerin9 chapter 1 . 2/8/2003
This is the third romance of yours that I've read, and I've loved every one. I normally don't leave reviews though because I never know what to say. But please write more:)
Ithilwen too lazy to log in chapter 1 . 2/6/2003
Why do I have the distinct feeling that Lalwen laughs in order to drown out her thoughts?

One common trope in the typical Mary Sue story it the idea that Love Conquers All Obstacles. Our heroine is often rescued from a neglected or abusive background, and in many cases, so is her lover (usually Legolas) - but somehow these terribly damaged people carry no real scars, and their lives become happy and sunny as soon as they fall into each other's arms. Too bad that things aren't so simple in the real world. Love is not a universal anodyne, and liberal appplications of it are not enough, in themselves, to heal old wounds or repair a damaged character. And trusting passion over reason, while it works in fairy tales, generally leads to nothing but disaster in real life - as it does here, binding Lalwen and her husband to a terrible Oath. I enjoyed this clever fic very much.
Cirdan chapter 1 . 1/28/2003
Very succinct writing. It does a lot to paint the story that you want to tell. Curufin is quite scary, and yet he's exactly as you'd expect him to be. I can understand Celebrimbor's inability to rebel against his own father despite refusing to take the Oath. Most of all, you do a great job with Lalwen. You show her as a happy, laughing, dancing maiden, yet we see the shadow that hangs over her when we read between the lines. And I'm glad she was able to defend her son.
erunyauve chapter 1 . 1/27/2003
I like the idea that the Oath replaced the normal familial bonds within Feanor's family, even the marital bond between Curufin and his wife. The idea of incorporating Lalwen is quite novel - you have to wonder what became of her in Beleriand, since Tolkien told us nothing about her. Presumably, he had something in mind for the character, but either it never made it to paper or is buried in the unpublished material (rather unlikely, since Christopher Tolkien seems to have sifted out the little bits of 'historical' information from the linguistic stuff).
Ellipsis chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
*claps* If this is a Mary Sue, then there is certainly hope for the genre! What to say about this story that hasn't been said? Lalwen is a fascinating character - very tragic, and yet as outlandish as her story seems, it's believable in a way many "conventional" romances are not. Her discovery that her bond with Curufin has been destroyed by his desire for the Silmarils was perhaps my favorite moment. Compliments!

- Ellipsis
Mouse chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Very evocative writing. All the little details come together perfectly, even in such a relatively short piece, into the intricacies of real person.

The childhood fear of Feanor turning into a fascination, the separation of her parents making her determined to never leave her husband- Lalwen became sympathetic to me in a way I wasn't really expecting. Beautiful images in the dancing, and the swearing of the oath (I can just imagine Aredhel scowling them all) ... Ooh, the oath and the bond, definitely the most disturbing part of the story.

A very haunting story, and beautiful in a tragic way.
Furius chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Fascinating story, highly disturbing, MS perhaps though covered by the odd canonicity of the character, but a worthy one with all the props well employed and made believable.

Your Curufin is very Feanorian, to quote an oft used word. The most tragic I think, is Aurel and the best idea is the wedding to the Silmarils. Too believable it seems, another reason for the lack of Feanorian descendants.

Light to dark, the imgagery is great, one can physically touch the colours if that means anything...
finch lazy chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Very well written, as always. The brief appearance of Feanor after the opening scene explains much of what is going on here. Curufin doesn't seem much more than a substitute for his father to Lalwen, and so Feanor's oath can come between them on more than one level: it doesn't just substitute all prior bonds, it does so as an extension of Feanor himself coming between husband and wife.

As for Lalwen as a character, she seems to be determined by will and emotions rather than by the mind - but it's more a matter of refusing to think than being unable to: the moment her son's fate is at stake she can see clearly enough.

I doubt your Lalwen is a Mary Sue; for that, she has too little influence on what'she going on around her. But that only makes her more instead of less interesting.
Maeve Riannon chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Wow..what did you do to turn a simple name into a woman of such fascinating personality? How can the tale of the First Age of Middle-Earth seem so poignant and different when seen through her eyes? How can your additions to that story sound so..right? Celebrimbors character, Curufins, Lalwen, Aurels...they all made me gape in amazement as I read this story. Ive loved it. Really loved it.
Le Chat Noir chapter 1 . 1/26/2003
Oh yessss... I think the little scene from her childhood helped in the flow of the story, would it just be because her character does now not seem to be only limited to her romance with Curufin.

Your style, as usual, has me in awe. The opening scene, in my opinion, was the best. Now Lalwen and Celebrimbor remind me of Aredhel and Maeglin, you can see why. There is also, in the end, the overhelming sense of the presence of the Oath: it destructs all that was before (most of all, this thing she swears in her youth that she would not leave her husband; the oath is more powerful than family, and love.) A stricking line was: "The Laws of the Valar were beneath us in Formenos" the 'us' gives the impression that Lalwen is becoming a Fëanorian, but in fact she is not; because at that stage, after they were already in banishment, it was impossible to "become" a Fëanorian; she is only in fact kind of subordinate to them, striving to be like them since she has left her old self behind, but it is, sadly or luckily for her, impossible.

It also makes sense that Fingolfin would ultimately be the only one to understand her; it links back to her childhood when he was always drawn to Fëanor, and maybe also to A Very Fire?

[yes, copy and paste, shame on me] Btw, thanks for the dedication, I feel honoured!