Reviews for Mudsnake
LovingPillow chapter 20 . 8/28
Brought tears in my eyes, wonderful. I really do feel the heartbreak and joy from reading this. Thank you, honestly, I hate Dumbledore for being a douche because how can he not see? Blind is what he is, and so set on being ignorant. Hermione and Severus, I hope that them growing up together will work out for the both of them, because they're kindred souls, and I really do hope that they both heal together. Albus be damned, literally, because he's on my hate list when it comes to this fic.
I, persnally, would love a sequel or epilogue r anything more in this world! I've gotten so attached and want to know more! Great job!
LizziiLaters chapter 20 . 8/7
Oh goodness. I actually loved this. So much. I haven't read such a good fix like this in a while. I would love to see this turned into a series going through Hermione's Hogwarts years but I understand the clean cut. Best of luck with future endeavors.
-*Liz*
N J Dryad chapter 20 . 8/5
Gosh, Severus was so astounded to get the guardianship he didn't even cringe or get embarrassed when Hermione hugged him and wouldn't let go! How did that happen? They go well together. I'm glad they get to be father and daughter. That's the way to adopt a kid: Get 'em once they're already toilet trained, able to speak intelligibly, and somewhat able to take care of themselves.

The way to resolve the end of the story is obvious: Have Hermione become friends with Harry and find out about his crummy background. Once it becomes apparent that Dumbledore is in the habit of malignantly neglecting magical kids, especially the Boy-Who-Lived, his goose will be more cooked than Christmas dinner. He'll be lucky to avoid Azkaban.

I thought the ending was a little rushed because you wanted to finish the story. However nutty Moody is, he's a competent law enforcement officer. I find it hard to believe he'd just say, "Oh, well, we know this guy's an accessory to child abuse and neglect, but we can't prove it, so we just have to let it go." Uh uh. He'd probably do some investigating on his own and look for other people who'd noticed Scummy's tendencies. Then he get together with Snape, and possibly those others, to build an airtight case against Dumbledore. There's your sequel, if you want one: The Trial of Albus Dumbledore.

This is a good story, particularly for a first effort. Thank you for writing it. I'll be looking at your other stories in the future.
N J Dryad chapter 19 . 8/5
I'm sure it's just a coincidence-not-that Hermione is wearing the very robes she saw in the mirror. Of course Snape's a slippery bugger. He's a snake! Duh. ; )
N J Dryad chapter 18 . 8/5
Ah, more foreshadowing as we learn Hermione wants the same thing Severus wants, but won't admit to wanting. I'm glad this is just a father/daughter story, rather than a romance. Romances between adult teachers and minor students are creepy and an abuse of power. BTW, I like the name of this story. It's very appropriate and a good pun.
N J Dryad chapter 17 . 8/5
Good, it looks like Hermione is going to get Severus as a guardian. That should PO Dumbledore royally, as that will interfere with Snape's spying. Heh heh heh. Any time the old creep suffers, it's a good day.

It was a little disorienting to have you shift into historical present tense at the end of the Severus/Hermione scene, particularly since you didn't use it in the rest of the story.
N J Dryad chapter 16 . 8/5
I liked the joke at the beginning about messing up Draco's hair. I'm glad people are acting on Hermione's behalf to save her. I'm even more glad she had the guts to stand up to her father, despite his abuse of her. She acted kind of Gryffindorishly courageous-in a foolhardy way-in that scene. Or maybe she was just desperate. I like to think that Severus's kind treatment of her helped her to see her own worth, and that she deserved better treatment than she was getting at home.
N J Dryad chapter 15 . 8/5
Tonks is proving to be a competent investigator, despite what Moody thinks. I don't know if it's kosher to involve civilians in a criminal investigation, though.
N J Dryad chapter 14 . 8/5
Rowling's Potterverse is so dystopian and cruel that I find it hard to believe things would work out this way, particularly that Scummy would get arrested and get the boot as principal. However, I really want things to work out, so I'm willing to go with it. Nice idea to bring in Tonks to investigate.
N J Dryad chapter 13 . 8/5
I'm glad you decided to continue this story. It would be torture to your readers to leave it as it is.

Scummy's tactic of questioning Severus's sanity is a classic abuser's dodge to avoid responsibility. Of course, being an abuser himself, he probably doesn't regard beating people up and locking them in closets as abusive. I've always suspected he was the one who tortured Ariana, not some random "muggle" boys.

The past tense of pay is paid, not payed.
N J Dryad chapter 12 . 8/5
Since Ron did the right thing, he deserves to be punished, but not expelled. The one who really needs expulsion is Scummywhore himself. I wasn't aware there was a magical child protection agency. Where were they when Neville needed them?

The dialogue in this chapter is excellent in the way it reflects the characters who speak it, from Ron's garbled speech, to Hermione's broken words reflecting her broken spirit, to Poppy's vague reassurances, to Scummy's blithe blowing off, to Severus's words that were first kind and reassuring, then fierce and protective. Well done!
N J Dryad chapter 11 . 8/5
This is a great chapter. There's action and excitement, but human drama, too. I'm very glad Ron sees that his "friends" are going too far. I hope he won't become their target for "snitching."
N J Dryad chapter 10 . 8/5
Hah, I was right! Snake Eaters, here we come!

I'm glad Harry and Neville have worked out their problems. Their making up was realistically awkward for young boys. I'm also glad Ron has more of a conscience than he's yet shown. Maybe there's hope for him.
N J Dryad chapter 9 . 8/5
It looks like mentor Snape is going to have to teach Hermione some self-defense spells. In fact, given how the snakes are treated by the rest of the school, it would be a good idea to teach all of them, especially the younger ones, how to take care of themselves-since it's clear nobody else gives a rat's ass about doing it.