Reviews for Breaking Through the Bottom of the Bottle
overreader99 chapter 19 . 6/6
People complained about the pacing? Have they never read Nick and Nora's infinite playlist? It's a whole friggin novel that literally takes place in one night out! And it was amazing! This story is really well written. It never seemed to drag on, and I was really starting to feel Yang's frustration, and yet also understood why she couldn't just outright say it. It seems a whole lot of things were against these two, and even though I'm not a big Yang x Jaune fan, I've never been more relieved of an outcome.
TinyPalmtopTiger chapter 19 . 5/28
I have visited this story three times in the past two years. The first time, when this story was first posted, I was uninterested from the beginning; the idea of a Jayne/Yang centric story filled with angst and almost no adventure was mundane to me. I stopped reading after the second chapter. The second time, around early 2017, I had stumbled upon this story by accident. It was always floating in the back of my mind, but I didn’t decide to read it until then. By this time the short story was complete and was fully posted, so I read the entire piece in a few hours. Finishing it, I was less than satisfied with the fic. Not a bad story, but I had thought it was more of a way to pass the time. I wasn’t invested at all, and to be honest, I thought the whole Ruby/Jayne/Yang love triangle thing was a bit ridiculous. I mean, this doesn’t happen in real life, right? No one would ever spend five years actually trying to get over someone, that was inane. I had still enjoyed it enough to finish it, however, and while I thought most of the scenes were ridiculous (especially the parts about Yang being bashful), it was worth the short time it took to read. Now, after finishing it the third time, I don’t think I ever enjoyed a story written by you more than this one. As time he passed on, a lot has happened to me in the past two years, and in the thick of it all, my mind was always wandering back to this piece of fanfiction. Finally I had gotten the time to read it cover to cover, and now this story seems, to me, one of the best pieces of work in the RWBY Archive. That’s not an exaggeration either; the pacing, the beat system, the characterization, all of those elements and more were on point. Half of the fics I’ve read form this archive haven’t even come close to being as exciting, as dramatic, or as entertaining as this work has, and I’ve been reading from this site for years. However, this isn’t a review unless there’s actual reviewing involved, so let’s get started. First off, the characters. The characters, Yang, Jaune, and even Ruby to an extent, are what make this story worth reading. The way these characters are set up- from what they have to what they want and how they’re going to get it- is done very well. Most fics seem to always give heavy exposition at the beginning, laying bare character dynamics that make would make the story much more interesting had they left it in context rather than stating it outright. Show, don’t tell. Here, this is shown wonderfully with Yang’s feelings for Jaune. She never states outright that she loves home, but using her actions as context along with a few lines she drops, one can assume that Yang likes Jaune, and has liked him for a very long time. That character dynamic, along with others, is a great example of showing and not telling. Secondly, the pacing. I have read several fics from both you and Coeur Al’Aran before and have become familiar with the 7 Beat Romance that you both use in your works. It works great almost every time, and I’m glad to say it worked out just as well this time round. The best part was the Black Moment of this story, or Beat 6, as it’s otherwise known. In other fics, such as Not This Time Fate by Coeur Al’Aran, the Black Moment took up a few chapters of the story, keeping the readers holding their breath for quite a while (not that it was a bad thing), but in this fic, Beat 6 takes up only about 2/3rds of the last chapter. Despite its length, or lack thereof, it still works well, giving of the intended effect of “It all goes wrong, all hope is lost. The relationship seems doomed.” Overall, this was something that took me three reads to appreciate fully. While I enjoy it immensely now, my only regret is not reading this sooner. Not much to critique on negatively here, but in your works, there hardly ever is. Maybe next time you could publish an actual story instead of not-summaries? A long shot, I know, but one that is definitely worth asking for.
Gorsouul chapter 18 . 4/25
This was pretty good and overall enjoyable. Maybe a bit too long though, middle chapters felt like they dragged on.
scottusa1 chapter 19 . 11/23/2017
Fun little story. Have a good one. Laters.
Doctor Crock chapter 19 . 10/14/2017
Such an awesome read. You better feel proud, feel very very proud.

A writing and the pacing was phenomenal, easily my favorite fic so far and literally the reason why I made a FF account just to like and favorite the damn thing.

Never followed the Yang/Jaune pairing but this fic made it work pretty phenomenally.

Good luck in the future mate, and keep kicking ass.
Guest chapter 19 . 10/10/2017
Nice story. I'm a happy ending kind of guy though, so I'm not really a fan of ambiguity. The "true" ending is whatever the author thinks so even if you say it's open ended, I wonder which ending YOU would choose, Fool.

Coming to the end there, for all the good, I feel empty. Ambiguity is not for me. Just the possibility of a bad end made possible by the lack of a definite answer leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Not a good kind of sour either. In my heart of hearts I hope for and choose the ending where Yang stayed certainly and absolutely, but I can't get rid of the niggling little doubt that she didn't. Hah...

Good fic. Hope to see another one like it from you in the future.
Mhungo chapter 19 . 10/8/2017
I'd never even heard of RWBY until about a month ago. But, I've certainly been making up for lost time. Between yourself and Coeur Al'Aran I imagine you'll cover every conceivable scenario and alternate history while the series continues.

Volume 5! So soon!

I am such a huge fan of Yang, and I'm so very glad to see her get her happy ending in this fic. Love your writing and can't wait to see more.
Love Reading 3.14 chapter 18 . 10/6/2017
Wow, Jaune went full cynic in the beginning. Also, was that the shortest beat 6 ever or what?

I enjoyed this, also I still feel that Yang was a bit OOC with the reluctance to admit her feelings, but maybe that'll be addressed in the analysis.
Love Reading 3.14 chapter 16 . 10/6/2017
Okay, by this point Yang's starting to get deserve as much blame as Jaune for acting dumb. Jaune's completely drunk, he's a nice guy, doesn't want to take advantage of her, and isn't in his right mind to make correct judgements on Yang's behavior. That's his excuse.

Yang's excuse is completely flimsy now. Scared to admit she likes him? There better be a good reason for that, some experience she went through fighting Cinder or something, otherwise it's pretty OOC.
Guest chapter 19 . 9/29/2017
Really enjoyed the plot and pacing of this story. Everything seemed flow in together so well. The chemistry between Jaune and Yang was really great too. Also loved the puns.
MIK23LIK chapter 19 . 9/24/2017
soooo to all who want to read this do so in 3 sitting to allow the slow burn to work it magic cause i just pounded it and i feel like i ruined some of them magic. still and excellent story and my comploments to you dear writer.
Orion's Left Arm chapter 19 . 9/19/2017
Very good. I was a bit put off by the whole "bar leads to drunken smut" trope, but this is actually really tasteful and sweet.
P.S. ~ I am totally stealing some of these pickup lines.
Dood Whitefang chapter 18 . 9/8/2017
It seems I spent another night reading an entire story. This was quite interesting, & really enjoyable. I probably enjoy it abit more because I was listening to the Policenauts ost & it help set the mood for this story.
All & all very nice~
psp reader chapter 18 . 8/20/2017
excellent
hanisu93 chapter 19 . 6/26/2017
This could be my next favourite story of this pair. Great great job!
I think you nailed Jaune's future personality and character perfectly. With what happened to him and Ruby, I can just see this Jaune becoming true. I don't blame Ruby. I kind of understand why she acted like so. She was just still a child who wanted to be grown ups. I don't blame Yang either. She's just doing her job as a sister to Ruby. and Jaune is just that kind of a guy who's nice for his own good. I don't care if it's a dream sequence in the end.. it's still a happy one! What matters were what we readers think and imagine Yang or Jaune would do after waking up so sudden one after another. and Im gonna imagine Yang not leaving Jaune. Thank you for writing this great story!