Reviews for hiding in the green
W527 chapter 1 . 3/11/2018
Man, I LOVE your unwavering dedication to a series most people today haven't even heard of, let alone remember. I'm not being sarcastic, or anything either. I really love Marathon, and your stories are the ONLY ones I've found on it with this level of detail and adaptation. Good on you, mate. Here's to you writing man more interesting tales!

Ps: Is it just me, or is Durandal the most tsundere AI in existance?
mark chapter 1 . 3/27/2017
They weren't machines according to the 1997 novel 3001.
mark chapter 1 . 3/27/2017
About that 2001/Planet Of The Apes crossover. Since we know nothing about it, how do we know it had programming, like a computer or at least a machine?
King E.16 chapter 1 . 12/15/2016
its a great oneshot, but why is the cyborg female? am i missing something or what?
Hawki chapter 1 . 7/27/2016
Well, this took me way longer to get round to reviewing than I thought it would. Well, better late than never I guess?

On the subject of time, funny that you mention Strauss, since around the time this story was posted, I had another user asking me about his characterization in a story. Maybe it was “Strauss Awareness Month” or something. But hey, first time for everything, like you said.

-"Beni Sloss, Bernie Strauss - they sound pretty similar, huh?"

Eh, if you say so. I’m busy wondering about what poor smuck got “Sloss” as a surname back in the day. 0_0

-“And your first office partner, wassername, Park…”

Oh, right, you remember “Sloss,” but have trouble remembering “Park.” Right…

-So, nice touch with the use of dates – it’s a quick, unobtrusive way of establishing the timeframe. On the other, month-day. Sigh…Silly American dating system ;p

-Nice touch with what I’m assuming is one of the Mjolnir cyborgs. Sure, deadly against pfhor, but I can imagine that they’d be quite intimidating to regular humans as well, or at least those who know what they really are.

-“Take me to your leader.”

Lol.

-…”and might have been able to make something of the aliens’ chatter.”

Been ages since I’ve played Marathon and heard the pfhor, but, well, good luck with that. 0_0

-So, assuming that this takes place in the general continuity as your other Marathon stories (admittedly, your profile states that everything outside the list stands on its own), that’s an…interesting, side of the security officer we haven’t seen. As in, “well, that was pretty dark” side. And female as well…

-On the flip side, the aftermath of her massacre, and her ignorance of her complicity, does make for another good moment.

-So, all in all, it’s a very good piece of writing. It’s a very noticeable change of pace from you as well. Most of your Marathon fics have been quite jovial, with Mark and Durandal sniping at each other. This is far darker and far more serious, per the reasons I’ve given above. Even the writing style and style of dialogue accommodates this shift. Not that I’m saying that one style is better than the other, but hey, variety is the spice of life. There’s also the aspect of it fitting Marathon thematically – if we assume that the theme of the trilogy is the idea of identity/memories/perception of reality (e.g. the cyborg has iffy memories, he’s a stooge for powers beyond the scope of humanity, the W’kn’cancter alters reality itself, etc.), then Allison’s ability to be controlled and inability to recall her actions does fit this.

So, yeah. Very good job.