Reviews for Stealing Secrets: A College - Mental Illness AU
Gahhhhh two kisses! You know your slow burn is good when two joking kisses get me all excited. (Although I'll wager they're half-serious). My favorite part was when Killian visited, but it was great to see MM and Emma bond and to hear more about her story. Also yay for OCD representation, no matter how minor!
I'm dying for Emma to leave the hospital and go on a real date with Killian. They've been through so much together it's about time they got to have some normal fun. I understand Emma needs to be on a decent med but I'm dying over here :P ~Gabi
Nugget chapter 13 . 9/10
Another great chapter! This story and what you've shared is really helping me through my stuff. I'm trying to think about things differently and sort out how I feel but with my grandma recently being diagnosed with Alzheimer's it's getting a bit more complicated. So thank you so much for writing this and not being afraid to share your story to help others because it really does help and I always look forward to the next chapter and the next bit of advice you give.
baratta.jennifer chapter 13 . 9/10
Best chapter yet.
Man that scene where Emma showed the doctor and then Killian her scars was really intense. Killian's speech afterwards was fantastic. He (and you) are so wise. I'm officially a college student with mental illness now so reading this story just got even cooler. Too bad I haven't met a Killian on campus to have movie nights with yet. I have a girl on my floor who shares a lot of my difficulties though which is really cool.

Oh gosh I'm not sure. My first thought was this story since it's probably the best portrayal of mental illness that I've seen. Well there is this indie movie called No Letting Go that was really neat to watch because it's basically my family's story. Everyone in my immediate family has some kind of mental illness but what was especially difficult for us was the fact that my siblings have had their forms of mental illness present themselves as children and that's been really tough to deal with. Figuring out it was more than just ADHD and general irritability took a while and once we realized that it took some time to figure out what disorder they struggled with and how best to help them. I've got to say having your siblings lash out at you is rough. Loving them while they go through the process of dealing with their disorders is hard, but this movie portrays that so beautifully.
Gahhhhh the scene at the dropoff is one of my absolute favorites of this story. It's so raw and painfully honest. Also it hadn't occurred to me but Killian's back story just makes this scene all the more painful because Killian's been through this before (in a way). His pure fear when he was going to the dropoff was heartbreaking. Because he already had to lose one person he loved. And he shouldn't have to lose any more people. He just needs a long hug.
Awww I love how Emma can help Killian with his difficult emotions too!
Your description of the movies through Emma's eyes is fantastic. Her anxiety was palpable as she began to realize she might have a mental illness. It can be terrifying at first (even if, or perhaps especially because I have people with mental illness in my immediate family). Your portrayal of that realization was spot on.
beardetective chapter 12 . 8/30
I actually audibly gasp every time I see this story updated because I'm so excited. This story is so important to me for many reasons and it's so well written. I love the themes of healing and acceptance and Emma finding her inner strength but also learning how to have a support system.
Oooh I love Killian's backstory for this fic! That sounds bad, but you know what I mean. I forgot that that's one of the things that makes him and Emma kindred spirits.
Wow I forgot what a dark place Emma was in at the beginning of this fic! You do such a good job of writing her destructive habits in all their grittiness. Her thought process cuts a little close for me. That negativity is so catchy I'm very impressed you can spend a lot of time writing in this headspace.
Aw I forgot Emma thought Killian was dating Anna! Gotta love those little misunderstandings :)
Nugget chapter 12 . 8/27
Honestly for me I just pay a lot of attention to characters backstory and the way they talk or react to something in the present, kinda gives me an idea of how their mind works and how they cope. Stories like this also help me look deeper into my problems because it's helping me realize things that maybe I never noticed before. I think my big problem is oversleeping and trying to hide away and I need to force myself to get up earlier and do something productive. I seriously just want to thank you for sharing your experiences and for writing all of this and trying to help us as well. It does help and I can't ever thank you enough.
baratta.jennifer chapter 12 . 8/25
Best chapter yet.
Yay another great chapter!
I'm so happy Emma is learning to recognize her symptoms and gaining self awareness.
She's drawing his eyes! I love all of Merida's comments. She's so funny. I also loved Emma searching Killian for the candy he brought her. It's so sweet that he brings her junk food and her phone to help her through this period.
You put so much wisdom in these characters mouths. Im kind of blown away here. It's obvious that you really know what you're talking about.
I think I'd tell my past self not to rush things. And not to worry about what everyone else is doing because what I'm doing is pretty incredible considering all the obstacles I've had to overcome. It's okay to be where I am. That's admirable.
Thank you for writing this story. Not only are you helping individuals through the text of your story but you're bringing together this community of oncers who have various mental health issues and that's pretty fantastic. ~cupidkillswithtraps
shlajslsjdlsksdn SHE'S HIS FAMILY. I'm so so psyched. This fic is fantastic!
Oooh question - does Killian have bipolar? Is that why they put him on a mood stabilizer instead? I have bp and my doctor was stubborn enough to try an antidepressant anyway (for my anxiety). I started cycling within 24 hours and I was taken off immediately. If it's spoilery that's okay, but I'd really love to know Killian's official diagnosis because I'm curious about his med treatment now. ~cupidkillswithtraps