Reviews for The AVIS Band
katherine-with-a-k chapter 5 . 8/17/2016
Lilac Wine! Perfect choice, so subdued and melancholic, something a girl who likes to play in her room would definitely know, and yet something that would make Gil go, WOW. I knew this scene was going to be great and it was, thank you for giving us that oft dreamed about moment when you perform something and do it beautifully and impress exactly who you want to impress. I loved too, that the audition was just between Gil and Anne, and that we saw a glimpse of realness, authenticity and vulnerability behind Gil's usual bravado. Something tells me he doesn't usually admit that he write songs and poetry, and yet when he was with Anne it all came out.

The little detail about Phil's hat was another joy, and her line, "Gil likes Anne!' was GOLD! As was Charlie assuming Anne was there for him, God, I LOVE Charlie!

Range Rover ready, another fab line from Di, and Anne making sure that when Di came in support of the performance at Josie's party it was for her not for Fred. I like this part of the story; all close girlfriends have to cross this bridge, when boyfriends begin to usurp friendship. The fact that Di is a little oblivious to Anne's lack of excitement about Roy is telling. But then she knows her better than anyone, so maybe she also knows Anne always needs a lot of encouragement in that regard.

The also oblivious Roy is a gem, but what really caught my fancy was Anne's unexpected admiration of his car -that was so true! When we think we're above fine things and then we experience it and suddenly we think, Oh actually yeah, this IS nice.

Such a great chapter, J, really wonderful :o) And yeah maybe Buckley didn't kill himself but he still drowned... Deathbed ballads indeed ;o)
AerisHeartily12 chapter 5 . 8/17/2016
lol I can't help but laugh at all your descriptions of Charlie. It's so spot-on. Enjoyed this chapter, can't wait for the next one! :)
Alinya Alethia chapter 5 . 8/17/2016
'Who doesn't love a deathbed ballad' was a perfectly Gilbertian line. It fun seeing Gilbert caught off-guard for once, and Anne solemnly wanting to know what Jim Morrison would have made of his compositions. Just brilliant. As is Diana's gushing, and Phil's hats, to say nothing of that wonderful 'Gil likes Anne,' which leaves such room for misunderstanding.
If I've not already said, the inclusion of Diana is a piece of brilliance. I love the way she flits from skirting the edges of romance with Fred, to the supportive friend, to bossing the life out of Anne as regards her evenings out. It's masterful coupled with Anne's insistance this is NOT a date she's on with Roy. Actually, the poetry reading reminds me increasingly of my own Poetry and Cake society, which was a glorious invention.
And Gil's reading tastes continue to win me over. Quite unlike Roy, I love 'Crossing the Bar' and say brilliant choice. Looking forward to where this leads.
Catiegirl chapter 5 . 8/17/2016
Oh, I love seeing Gil a little vulnerable- the description of him listening to Anne play was beautifully written! You've made this growing attraction between them so tangible. I giggled at Phil's hat, that was a really cool touch, and seeing Gil amongst the 'literary set'- I love the facets of his character that you are showing! It's wonderful seeing everyone through Anne's eyes, she feels so accessible as a reader, and I love the way you're writing her in this! Well done, I was in line at McDonalds when it came through, and couldn't stop grinning like an idiot!
Kim Blythe chapter 4 . 8/8/2016
The change of place and different atmosphere had me confused and my mind had to get adjust a little before getting use to all of the details of the match ...

It is so true that you have all the characterisation of all the characters that Lucy Maud Montgomery had created !

I feel bad for Fred but I can't help but get a little excited over the fact that Anne might get to play the guitar on the band while he recovers from his injurie, if Gilbert accepts her on with them ... ( But why wouldn't he ? )

I loved, loved, loved Phil's little quote when she said this about Gilbert : Look at Gil, he does. But then he's exceptional !

Which got proven later on when Anne arrived for her audition a little early, only to find Gil there alone, reading a book she didn't think it would be the kind of books that he was into reading ...

And the little quote he gives her at the end : You might be surprised about some of the things I like, Anne Shirley ... Only proves it once again !

But, I realise that Anne's audition is on the same day that she gets to go to that poetry reading with Roy ! Will she have the time to ace her audition, get back in her room and be ready on time for Roy to pick her up ?!
AerisHeartily12 chapter 4 . 8/8/2016
Ooh, I can't wait to see Gil's reaction after Anne plays the guitar. :)
Alinya Alethia chapter 4 . 8/8/2016
You know, every time I think I've settled on a characterisation I stumble across another I like as much, or more. Phil bossing Roy, Diana's skittishness, the awful Pyes and the terrible Charlie, not forgetting Anne of course, who I can't pin down to a description because you've fleshed her out so much. Add my vote to the best-modern-reimagining. The football game is a triumph, brimful with character insights and plot details. As ever, Diana had me laughing, especially her eyes widening proportionate to her rate of sqeakiness. That was masterful. I loved watching Stella and Priss twisting Anne's arm into playing for them and then auditioning, and Gil's eclectic taste in reading. Delightful as ever, and I'm eagerly looking forward to reading more!
Catiegirl chapter 4 . 8/8/2016
What does it say about LMM's characters, that all you had to say was that a Sloane was breathing on Anne's shoulder- and we all say ewww! I loved him giving game advice- because of course Charlie would. I loved it taking 4 people to get two people to go on a date, Roy's passivity made me chuckle. I liked Anne's NON finest moment, (in your face Josie and Gertie) but my favourite part of this was that last paragraph, and Gil's last line. Ohh, you get the sense that these two are really going to hit it off one of these days!
katherine-with-a-k chapter 4 . 8/8/2016
Again your talent for making me laugh stupidly, loudly and at length is making me look like a weirdo. Where to start, Diana's italics, the gormless Charlie breathing on her neck -or his pep talk for the boys!- Josie and Gertie fretting about Fred ruining their party, Roy feeling pleased with himself (the Range Rover -whelp!) it was all just squawk squawk squawk from me. Girl you are funny. Like funny how the longest description we get in this chapter is that stunning one of Gil slouching on a chair reading... BINGEN ON THE RHINE! Argh! It's too good! I really really don't want to like this guy, I really really don't, but J you're making it mighty hard on a girl.
Kim Blythe chapter 3 . 8/5/2016
Really Roy, what are you doing at a Rock concert if all you can do and think is talk about poetry ...

Gil really did outshine him when he compared himself and his pants to Jim Morrison, ( Ruby's remark/question of who's Jim Morrison is made me laugh so hard ) who was a singer, poet and a musical genius in the DOORS band !

I see it now, the rivalry that will play between Roy and Gil for Anne's attention, the Poet VS the Singer !

I just loved, loved it the way you described how Gil kept on looking at Anne while he was singing ! This is what we call Love at first sight, Gilbert Blythe ...

Fred and Diana are already getting to cute for words, even though they haven't exchange that many words between each other, only just a few long and enamoured glances from Diana and Fred's eyes looking down while his face is getting redder and redder at Diana's loving attention !

So now, I simply can't wait to see and read how this Sunday of watching a game will go !
katherine-with-a-k chapter 3 . 8/4/2016
You know I'm gonna have to go with another reviewer here and say this is the best mod day Anne I've ever read. I was thinking about trying this kind of story myself, but I really don't know what else I'd have to add. This chapter was so good, J, the writing is pacey and direct, the characterisations are pitch perfect, and the story has me hooked.
I don't know why but Anne's outfit really struck me, I loved the nod to the green and the rosebuds, but it was the little details about sleeves falling from her wrists and her long skirt that satisfied me, I got such a good picture of her character.
Di's boobs, though! Loved it. And I'm sure Fred will love them too!
You got the close atmosphere of the bar so right, the noise, the sweat, the feel that goes through you when you stand by the speakers, the thrill you feel when the person on stage is looking at you! But what I loved most was Roy trying to talk about Tennyson, that was brilliant. Oh Roy!
Fave lines: Oh did I hit you with my hair? and, He quickly took another sip of his beer. LOL!
More please!
AerisHeartily12 chapter 3 . 8/4/2016
I have to say that this is one of the best modern AUs I've read so far for AoGG. :) Looking forward to reading more!
Alinya Alethia chapter 3 . 8/4/2016
Oh, I can sympathise with long hair in hot places -for years I slept with it plaited to survive Canadian summers (because you know, cutting it, much too logical :)). And I love the description of Anne's dress, also the fact that Diana has a 'bossy fashion face.' Of course she does. Roy has me in stitches, trying to talk poetry in a room full of amplified music. He feels ever-so-slightly out of touch with the universe everyone else inhabits, if that makes sense. I don't know if you mean it that way, but it suits him. The interactions between Gil, Ruby and Anne are excellent -such neatly woven in character details. As ever it's a vivid, zestful reimagining that you're giving us, and I love it.
Catiegirl chapter 3 . 8/4/2016
My word, you write steaming well! Loved the way you described the way the two of them gazed at each other, that was electric, and you could feel it!. Gil is so cheeky here, the comment on Anne liking his pants nearly made me spit out my coffee. I thought it was telling that Ruby didn't get the music references that came so naturally to Anne, and her pushing him away while Anne was pretty transfixed by a) the pants, b)the sweat and c)the unbuttoned shirt. It made me chuckle how she described Gil as 'annoying'- Sure, Anne: annoying ALWAYS feels like a tingling body...
Guest chapter 2 . 8/4/2016
Hey. I just found this and I have to tell how good it is. It's the best version of what Anne might have been like in a modern day setting that I have ever read. I love Phil so much. I hope you write more soon. Grace.
176 | « Prev Page 1 .. 8 9 10 11 12 Next »