Reviews for Sophistry and Dialectic
mumphie chapter 11 . 3/23
Lots of fun! I enjoyed it immensely. :)
Good story, though I do have issue with Harry's rant on 'An it harm none, do as thou wilt'. Seems to me that you'd have to go out of your way to abuse the definitions of that phrase in order to give it negative context: as I read it, it is more a counter against draconian laws that punish people for victimless crimes than a rallying call for evil actions.
tl;dr: Harry went on a very long stretch to rant against a moral philosophy of "do no harm". What a wanker.
Kai chapter 5 . 1/9
The last paragraph alone makes it worth to reread the story from time to time. "Can you promise not to get a boyfriend for the next month or so?" This question, the follow-up explanation, and Hermione's reaction are among the sweetest I've ever read.
RightWrong chapter 11 . 11/17/2021
Hilarious and very enjoyable. Thanks for writing )
Guest chapter 11 . 11/7/2021
i don't know I've read both and i thought yours was good too many travlers is my favorite sorry
Kimberly T chapter 11 . 11/7/2021
Very well done indeed!

It seems rather a pity that, after McGonagall and Harry reached an accord in their dialogue following Harry's wounding of Draco and his cronies, she was dragged down instead of given the opportunity to rise to the challenge of becoming an effective Headmistress. But given that she reportedly didn't take what was left to her and put more effort into becoming a better Head of House than she had been for at least the last five years, perhaps it's just as well.

My only complaint about this story is how thoroughly Umbridge was defanged, to the point of having roughly as much consequence to Harry and to Hogwarts as a whole as Binns did. Harry rather blatantly defied her, even though it was a passive defiance, by refusing to attend the detention she assigned him or to respond when called upon in class. And yet she did nothing in response to such defiance? In canon, she had Harry taken off the Quidditch team as part of her efforts to crush his spirit, and created the Inquisitorial Squad with the full knowledge and likely the intention that they harass Harry and his allies. Here... nothing.
Detsella Morningdew chapter 11 . 10/2/2021
This was a fun ride. The ending was a little weird, but not too bad, and the rest was absolutely excellent.
Detsella Morningdew chapter 7 . 10/2/2021
I believe it is spelled "sotto voce."

Anyway, absolutely love this so far. You have an assertive Harry without making him an ass.
Mvelez91 chapter 11 . 9/20/2021
Hmm I quite enjoyed this fic and Harry’s thinking.
Camillus Seth chapter 11 . 9/18/2021
Harry became the King, lol
kimjo2 chapter 11 . 8/20/2021
Outstanding! Thanks so much
TheHard chapter 11 . 7/8/2021
Nicely done! thanks for sharing.
Guest chapter 11 . 4/23/2021
Well, that certainly is a reasoning as to why Dumbledore's plans are the way they are. And it probably messed with how magicals could think; probably even more side effects as well, from minds during adolescence being twisted around and not developing naturally.

Umbridge acting funny wasn't really addressed though. She just sort of... gave up trying to get at Harry? For some reason?
Guest chapter 5 . 4/23/2021
Wow, that 'point' system for the essay contest is kind of terrible for being a contest. But it does provide a hell of a lot of incentive in coming up with as many points as possible, and to come up with them first. And incentivizes crafting unique and concise arguments. Plus bravery for going first. 'Cause if you end up using 51 points that others came up with, it's better to not enter at all.

I guess Hermione's going to notice the 'proto-runework' in the wand movements via computer analysis. Provided the two databases are integrated/linked in some way, to try and see if there's any similarities there. Certainly open a bunch of possibilities. And 'lost' or 'forgotten' or even 'hidden' knowledge, since presumably there's a similar root between the two. Though it would be interesting if the 'faux-latin' required actually matches up with being similar enough to the latin for whatever the spell does (or sounds like it's latin for those words), or it's just chance/how magicals managed to bash together something by throwing words at the problem until one worked.

The 'thinking about thinking' issue does make a certain amount of sense; magicals just don't have the mental context to really come up with some of those ideas. There's just a few mental leaps and connections that the average magical isn't even aware of. Computers are an outside context problem/solution to them. And well, to do the number crunching that Hermione is having done would take way longer, for a fraction of the results.

Is Harry faking being short? Cause I swear in a prior chapter it stated that he was closer to average height. Checking, yeah it says in Chapter 3. Though it'd be kind of hilarious if his 'faking' it is literally just jokes about how he's short.

Wonder why Umbridge gave up on assigning detentions. And apparently didn't try to get other teachers to enforce them. Probably couldn't explain what the detention was FOR.
lil-sis4556 chapter 11 . 4/21/2021
I love this story but the last line is the reason I’m keeping it on my favorites!