Reviews for Sophistry and Dialectic
Well, that certainly is a reasoning as to why Dumbledore's plans are the way they are. And it probably messed with how magicals could think; probably even more side effects as well, from minds during adolescence being twisted around and not developing naturally.

Umbridge acting funny wasn't really addressed though. She just sort of... gave up trying to get at Harry? For some reason?
Wow, that 'point' system for the essay contest is kind of terrible for being a contest. But it does provide a hell of a lot of incentive in coming up with as many points as possible, and to come up with them first. And incentivizes crafting unique and concise arguments. Plus bravery for going first. 'Cause if you end up using 51 points that others came up with, it's better to not enter at all.

I guess Hermione's going to notice the 'proto-runework' in the wand movements via computer analysis. Provided the two databases are integrated/linked in some way, to try and see if there's any similarities there. Certainly open a bunch of possibilities. And 'lost' or 'forgotten' or even 'hidden' knowledge, since presumably there's a similar root between the two. Though it would be interesting if the 'faux-latin' required actually matches up with being similar enough to the latin for whatever the spell does (or sounds like it's latin for those words), or it's just chance/how magicals managed to bash together something by throwing words at the problem until one worked.

The 'thinking about thinking' issue does make a certain amount of sense; magicals just don't have the mental context to really come up with some of those ideas. There's just a few mental leaps and connections that the average magical isn't even aware of. Computers are an outside context problem/solution to them. And well, to do the number crunching that Hermione is having done would take way longer, for a fraction of the results.

Is Harry faking being short? Cause I swear in a prior chapter it stated that he was closer to average height. Checking, yeah it says in Chapter 3. Though it'd be kind of hilarious if his 'faking' it is literally just jokes about how he's short.

Wonder why Umbridge gave up on assigning detentions. And apparently didn't try to get other teachers to enforce them. Probably couldn't explain what the detention was FOR.
lil-sis4556 chapter 11 . 4/21
I love this story but the last line is the reason I’m keeping it on my favorites!
i don't know I've read both and enjoyed them
Bronze chapter 11 . 3/5
Ya know, I never even considered the Ole Fumblemort was actually a parasite. Using the minds of those around him to plot and plan. For such a smart man Snape really made a boneheaded move! He knew that abandoning his two positions in the middle of the school year would cause very bad thing to happen to him, yet he did it. So, I guess he wasn't as smart as I originally thought. Hope he stashed a lot of galleons away over the past fifteen years or he's gonna be working as something other than a Potions Master! I enjoyed this. I usually enjoy an intelligent Harry Potter story. Especially one where he gets a good woman as his wife. I don't mind harem stories either. When it comes to bashing I feel sorry when it involves Hermione, the Weasley twins, Neville ,Luna and a few others. But I never feel sorry for any of the staff of Hogwash. They're typically as useless as their leader. I feel after Harry wises up and sees Ole Fumblemort and the staff of Hogwash as useless he should tell the Ministry of/for Morons " See ya, not gonna be ya! " and beat feet to some other country and never return. I've read one where Harry moved to Australia and lived as a muggle till Ole Fumblemort sent some of his former school mates to first, talk him into returning then if he refused, abduct him and bring him back to fight their war for them. And obviously Harry didn't make it easy on them. Anyhoo, this was a fun read am I totally enjoyed it. Thanks for writing and posting it.
Schnuff chapter 11 . 1/25
Thanks for writing this story.
slytherinsal chapter 6 . 1/1
Oy! he broke his own rule by naming Cromwell; he could have said Puritans or Parliamentarians
Moral Conundrum chapter 11 . 7/1/2020
A great story, ruined at the last moment by "She-Who-Can-Do-No-Wrong" McGonagall. With all the hypocrisy of her own, and her complete failure to help or protect Harry throughout the entirety of his time at Hogwarts, I am infuriated how in every story I read, if she isn't a main villain, McGonagall is immune to any criticism or blame. And even if a writer has Harry stand up to Voldemort, Snape and Dumbledore, they have him cower in pathetic impotence the moment McGonagall glares at him. I highly suggest a re-write of this last chapter.
Guest chapter 11 . 6/26/2020
Brilliant! Loved it! Thank you.
Vanadir chapter 11 . 6/14/2020
brilliant thank you
Matt chapter 3 . 5/22/2020
Enjoying the story but why did you switch tenses at one point? "Von Clausewitz lead him to" - you're writing in the past tense but right there you switched to present tense with lead instead of led. I'm wondering if it's a glitch in FFN because the majority of stories I read seem to have the same problem. They almost always use lead instead of led like they should. It's quite strange.
Matt chapter 2 . 5/22/2020
Because it's not the Night Bus, you doofus, it's the Knight Bus! That's why the name doesn't change. Why would it? The name has nothing to do with the time of day.
fringeperson chapter 11 . 5/2/2020
Your stuff is excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed the entire read. Thank you for writing it.

Harry never had to hunt for the horcruxes - love it. Remus and Sirius being *that awesomely helpful* - love it. Harry never actually hearing the prophecy in its entirety, but figuring out *just enough* that he makes that interpretation? ADORATION!

Also, the essay competition is inspired.

And thank you for the fic rec. I'll go check that out next.

Again, thank you for writing!
Livyatan Kalmanrata chapter 11 . 4/29/2020
Magnificent.
What about Madeye "totally-not-Crouch-Jr." Moody's, "you could all get your wands out and point them at me and say the words, and I doubt I'd get so much as a nosebleed."? Harry is a ludicrous magical powerhouse, but being able to spam "Bet" is something else, I would say.
On another note, I would have loved reading about the natural consequences of interfering with Goblin Gold falling upon the Dursleys. the lack of closure makes it seem a tad like they got rewarded for subhuman behaviour.
I'm gonna have to do some real thinking about Dumbes' being the leader of the "light" (communal betterment, greater good) so very literally. Delicious plot-point, that.
stevem1 chapter 11 . 4/24/2020
This was a funny, well thought story.